Paradox forum and their banning of customers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by UnSounder
    lol! You had to ban him for anti-semitic stuff too? I think my point is made
    C4

Yeah, be he will be back soon enough
    Keep on Civin'
    RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by RobRoy

LOL. Funny I was just thinking MY point had been made. Let's see:

- one forum permanently bans people for engaging in some pretty mild questioning of moderator actions;

- another forum allows an extremist wide lattitude before temporarily banning him, meanwhile allowing/encouraging extensive discussion of the moderator(s) actions and forum standards.

I'm highly skeptical that your (surprisingly large) mod squad would know how to deal reasonably with the grilling Mark and Ming receive here on a regular basis. Well, short of banning everyone, that is...
      You can spin it any way you want, but I saw you repeately post and question the mod's decision to move a topic to a different forum. Frankly I have seen some discussions regarding bannings before, and you make the EU2 board moderators out to be alot thinner skinned then they actually are. Incidentally many people who posted on that thread at Apolyton felt that he should be banned permantly. A significant difference between the two sites is that Paradox can actually be held legally liable if they continued to let WFHermans post anti-semitic comments on their board. When someone gets banned from both boards for anti-semitic comments, it does not support your case that one of the boards was being unreasonable.

Comment

Originally posted by Mordoch
        You can spin it any way you want, but I saw you repeately post and question the mod's decision to move a topic to a different forum.
        Perhaps you need to see it again, or reread the responses to the allegations you keep repeating here. I posted ONE time questioning the mod's decision to move a thread, to forbid discussion on forum posting rules, and to forbid ALL public criticism of moderator behavior. That post included some details on the original issue, if that's your point, but that was because the moderator professed surprise and ignorance at what the issue was (should I have assumed he was being rhetorical or disingenuous?)

...you make the EU2 board moderators out to be alot thinner skinned then they actually are...
        Glad your perceptions are more positive. Based on my unpleasant experience, I have been quite generous. FYI, I'm only talking about one individual, the reason I tend to group them together (my there are a lot of them, though) is because they seem so quick to close ranks and so eager to defend inappropriate or questionable behavior, rather than question one of their own or consider the possibility of error (hmmm...sounds familiar). To be honest, I have never encountered a thinner skin or lower tolerance anywhere, either in real life or on the net (perhaps I need to get out more).

...Incidentally many people who posted on that thread at Apolyton felt that he should be banned permantly...
        And I might even agree. But why are you oblivious to the point that such a discussion is accepted/expected here, but seems to be forbidden there?

...A significant difference between the two sites is that Paradox can actually be held legally liable if they continued to let WFHermans post anti-semitic comments on their board...
        Perhaps...I know little of international law, less of his comments, and nothing of Swedish law. Perhaps you do.

I think a more interesting difference between the two sites is that the more tolerant one is truly private, meaning it has few restrictions on how it can behave (under U.S. law). Whereas the site that tolerates no public criticism and is quick to ban, is actually a "public accomodation", being the company's venue for providing technical and user support, rules addendum, patches, expansions, etc. to paying customers. In the U.S., at least, public accomodations are under quite a few restrictions regarding reasonable and acceptable behavior.

...When someone gets banned from both boards for anti-semitic comments, it does not support your case that one of the boards was being unreasonable.
        one site - lenient (temporary) punishment for an extreme infraction

other site - draconian punishment (permanent ban) for...for...well actually, there was no infraction, unless you count the rule added after my banning.

I guess some people see only what they want to see.

Comment

Originally posted by Ming

Yeah, be he will be back soon enough

A light has dawned on me. The reason Ming doesn't perma-ban is that it prevents him banning the offender again, and again, and again.

One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Sagacious Dolphin
            A light has dawned on me. The reason Ming doesn't perma-ban is that it prevents him banning the offender again, and again, and again.
            Cute...
            *but I didn't ban him... MtG did *

I would like to add that I think it's VERY important that Mods on a forum do stick together. If they start disagreeing with each other, and over ruling each other, it's a disaster waiting to happen.

I don't always agree with actions taken by other Mods here, and I'm sure others don't always agree with me. Here, we stand by whatever decision is made by the first person to the scene. While we may discuss it in our staff forum, or by PM, it's imperative that we support each other in public, or people will start playing us off each other.

It is very rare when we change a decision that was made by somebody else. However, a mod that made the decision is always welcome to go back and change his mind after talking it out with the people involved. It is key that a mod's authority is final...

So don't abuse mods for supporting (or in some cases, just not commenting on a situation) the other mods. It has to be done that way.

And as far as trying to point out the differences between two different sites... a waste of energy. The rules here have evolved over time, based on the owners overall philosphy... that of the mods... and the general attitude of the members. Different enviornments require different rules and actions. We welcome debate, and don't mind if people think we are wrong (because it really doesn't matter... because we can do what we want)
            Keep on Civin'

Comment

Originally posted by Ming

Cute...
              *but I didn't ban him... MtG did *

Yeah, I know, but it doesn't mean the analysis isn't true!
              One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Sagacious Dolphin
                Yeah, I know, but it doesn't mean the analysis isn't true!
                If that was the case... I would release EVC...
                Keep on Civin'

Comment

Ban all your forum users LOL. At this step you can...
                  Ralendil

Comment

Big emotions for such a (usually) barren sub-forum
                    "Dave, if medicine tasted good, I'd be pouring cough syrup on my pancakes." -Jimmy James, Newsradio

"Your plans to find love, fortune, and happiness utterly ignore the Second Law Of Thermodynamics."-Horiscope from The Onion

Comment

I think you guys should meet somewhere and have a fist fight. And then you should broadcast it on a webcam for the ppl at Apolyton.

Private sites can do what they want. It's their site. If they don't like the way you look, they can ban you.
                      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

And with that brilliant evaluation I say we close this thread and discuss the game.
                        "If you are a young gangster on your first date, wouldn't it be awfully embarassing if someone tried to murder you?"
                        - Jack Handey

Comment

Working...
                        X