The future of PC gaming - 2009 edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm glad you are so proud of yourself.
    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369 View Post
      I'm glad you are so proud of yourself.
      Never before has one thread so aptly demonstrated the complete and utter failure of economics degrees in terms of higher-level thinking. Thank you, both of you...
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Glad to be of service.
        <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
        I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

It's a shame he still doesn't get it though.

Comment

Clearly, it is you that doesn't get it.
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

To quote the great Jamski, I believe "it takes wings, it flies"
              "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post
                Yes. Old people, like you, tend to eschew consoles for something they're more familiar with.
                I neither chew on consoles, nor do I eschew them.

I even intend to purchase one, when I'm all caught up on all the PC games I wish to play.
                "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

The day you are caught up on all the PC games you wish to play, is the day the end of time, at earliest.
                  Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                  I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                  Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

[QUOTE=Asher;5511635]The correlation is a societal rule and you are arguing the exception.

It's true for technologists as well. It's also true for game developers, incidentally.

Anecdotally, it is true as well. The console developers on Beyond3D, indy or not, tend to be 35 and under. The PC developers on Beyond3D tend to be 30+. I'm actually working on an indy game for the Wii (well, it has picked up a big publisher now, but it's still an indy studio) where the average age of the person working on it is about 23.

So wait. Are you saying the Wii is new, advanced technology, or are you saying that young technologist DO like to work on old technology? Why do 21 YO developers want to work on a slightly upgraded Gamecube?

Comment

Originally posted by Nikolai View Post
                      The day you are caught up on all the PC games you wish to play, is the day the end of time, at earliest.
                      At the earliest, I hope.

And on that day, the console fan boy shall lie down with the PC player, and the SonyDefence force with the Xbox fanboy with the Wii player, and they shall beat their light guns into mice, and none shall make them afraid.

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark View Post
                        So wait. Are you saying the Wii is new, advanced technology, or are you saying that young technologist DO like to work on old technology? Why do 21 YO developers want to work on a slightly upgraded Gamecube?
                        They don't want to, the publisher does.

FWIW, you're again demonstrating you're missing the point. It's not about STATE OF THE ART TECHNOLOGY, it's about FAMILIARITY AND COMFORT ZONES and NEWNESS OF THE AREA OF TECHNOLOGY IN GENERAL.

Since the Wii uses graphics APIs used nowhere else, or even close -- not to mention an extremely unusual graphics chip, it's a bit exotic compared to what developers have used in the past. It's a lot of new things to learn, even if the technology itself is fairly old, it's not a technology people are familiar with.

I'm not even going to bother explaining this further if you do not comprehend. It will have to be one of life's mysteries why young people like to do more adventurous things while older people prefer what they know to work before. I'd hope this would be common sense, but as it appears only I have it in this thread, it is not so common, is it...

Comment

woah! what the cr*p is all this stuff about?! Obviously age isnt the only factor to use when trying to pigeonhole devs. It just depends doesnt it.

Anyway I sometimes hang out at two 'indie game dev' places, one is pretty adult and the guys making games do it for a wide variety of platforms(from cell phones to pc/mac to consoles). Ages are in the 20+ range for the majority.

Then the other side of that coin is here:

They are (moslty) a much younger cross section of people. I cant see what the point is here with the age argument vs platform type, as obviously no-one is going to be right enough to prove someone wrong over any of this?? Is this just a continuation of the 'Asher wars'? edit:[that needs it own thread maybe?]

Comment

Originally posted by El_Cid View Post
                            woah! what the cr*p is all this stuff about?! Obviously age isnt the only factor to use when trying to pigeonhole devs. It just depends doesnt it.
                            This is Asher don't forget. Things are black or white, and there are no such things as shades of grey.

Comment

Originally posted by DrSpike View Post
                              This is Asher don't forget. Things are black or white, and there are no such things as shades of grey.
                              There are, of course, but that doesn't prevent us from speaking in general terms.

The fact that you ********* latched on a throwaway comment that was obviously a troll to LOTM and cried about it and completely demonstrated a lack of critical thought was pretty epic, though.

Comment

There are, of course, but that doesn't prevent us from speaking in general terms.

you ********* latched on a throwaway comment that was obviously a troll.
                                If you'd admitted your comment was an overstatement more quickly we could have ended this much sooner. Perhaps you'll know better next time.

Comment

Working...
                                X