Knights of the Old Republic MMO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DrSpike

Probably true, since most successful MMOs are WoW clones.

But most WoW clones are not successful MMO's.
    Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
    The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
    The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

True, but less relevant to the post I addressed.

Comment

Originally posted by DrSpike
        True, but less relevant to the post I addressed.
        Ahh, but I'm merely pointing out that all MMO's are trying to rip off WoW. The fact that all successfully ones are copying WoW is a sign of the lack of creativity in the industry, not the superiority of the game play in said game.
        Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
        The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
        The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

Actually it's a sign of both.

Comment

And WoW is a terrible game.

Comment

No it wasn't, and no it isn't.

Comment

My God, I agree with Kuciwalker... Yeah, WoW, is a truly an awful game. A friend informed me recently that he wasted about 5000 hours of his life on that stupid game. I told him: "so, about 0.01% of that was actually fun?" He didn't correct my estimate.
                Last edited by Nostromo; August 8, 2008, 19:00.
                Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

He must enjoy it to play that much.

Comment

4950 hours worth of grind and other boring activities for 50 hours of actual fun. And even the fun parts are not that fun compared to other pleasures of life. Its not like they were mindbogglingly fun. Really, I pity the fool.
                    Last edited by Nostromo; August 8, 2008, 20:46.
                    Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

I wish Darkfall wasn't vaporware.

Unique features

Darkfall is expected to have several features that set it apart from the majority of MMORPGs:

* Unrestricted PvP, with no safe zones, only protection by NPC guards in racially controlled cities. Indiscriminate player killing results in changes in alignment (see alignment section below), which in turn has severe in-game consequences. [3]
                      * A character advancement system devoid of player levels and classes. The majority of player capabilities are determined by the possession of skills, which improve in response to in-game use. For example, all weapon proficiencies, the ability to swim, cast spells, ride mounts, and climb various obstacles are all skills that can be learned and improved through in-game use.
                      * A real-time combat system that includes FPS-style manual aiming & blocking.[4] Ranged combat and general play will be viewed from the first person perspective, while melee combat will be third person perspective. There will also be no 'player radar' or floating names with which to identify players or NPCs [5], and inflicted damage and the health status of actors are indicated through visible damage, blood-spray, and audio cues. Furthermore, friendly fire is always in effect, so missed melee attacks, misfired arrows, as well as area of effect offensive and healing spells affect both friends and enemies.[6]
                      * Complete looting. All of a player's items become world lootable on death (see looting section below), and virtually all props and items in the game will be player-craftable.[7]
                      * Cities that can be built, sieged, captured and destroyed by players [8], as well as individual player housing.
                      * Player mounts and mounted combat, which can be captured and killed by players.
                      * Naval warfare, with the ability to create, board, capture and sink player controlled ships [9], including player-mediated ship-ship and land-ship combat.
                      * Real-world physics, including inter-character and projectile-character collision detection. Projectiles (spells, arrows, cannonballs etc.) can be evaded or blocked in real time. Players can be pushed or blocked by other players, NPCs and/or explosions [10].
                      * Dynamic, physical weather, including variable, directional winds. For example, foggy or rainy weather can severely limit sight range and high winds greatly influence tidal wave amplitude and ship movement. Day and night cycles are based on a realistic planetary system of 2 orbiting moons, producing dramatic sunrises and sunsets.
                      * Enhanced monster behaviour and AI.[11] Monsters do not simply stand and swing at players until dead; they may employ sophisticated combat tactics based on their capabilities, social behaviour, and intelligence level. For example, intelligent monsters will preferentially target healers, casters, and/or weakened players. Monsters do not have fixed spawn locations or sizes - monsters form their own communities, may construct buildings and/or may relocate to new areas in response to being hunted by players. Monsters may also fight other monsters in their region. [12]
                      * A zoneless game world capable of supporting over 10,000 concurrent players per game instance,[13] including explicit and dedicated support for large-scale (> 200 player) battles at playable frame-rates. [14]

Comment

Originally posted by Nostromo
                        4950 hours worth of grind and other boring activities for 50 hours of actual fun. And even the fun parts are not that fun compared to other pleasures of life. Its not like they were mindbogglingly fun. Really, I pity the fool.
                        4950 according to you or him? If it's you then not sure how you've come to this estimate, and if it's him lots of people trash games they were previously addicted to when the addiction is over. This doesn't mean they weren't enjoying it at the time.

I played WoW (not for 5000 hours - more like 500) and enjoyed it. When I stopped enjoying it (got burnt out with raiding) I stopped playing. This is the norm.

Comment

Originally posted by Heraclitus
                          I wish Darkfall wasn't vaporware.
                          I stopped reading at "* Unrestricted PvP,".
                          There's no game in The Sims. It's not a game. It's like watching a tank of goldfishes and feed them occasionally. - Urban Ranger

Comment

Working...
                          X