Portal is the game of the year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Guynemer
    Did you play Sam & Max? It's really quite good.
    But the episodic part is annoying. Every time you started a new episode, you were greeted with an annoying unskip-able intro, then you'd have to go in a change all the settings again
    I played all episodes in a row, I would have hated having to wait between each episode (I seriously doubt that if I had played the first episode the day it was released, I wouldn't have touched any of the other episodes)
    This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

• Sam and Max was late 2006, early 2007. Not 2004.

And the game is a very minor release. I played only the first two episodes. They were not popular or any good. How do you screw up a talking dog and a crazy rabbit? They managed it

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher
        The problem is, sn00py, it is popular but you just didn't know about it. It's one of the areas where single-player games are taking a book from MMORPGs, which have been doing it (popularly) for about a decade now.
        If you can prove to me, that it is popular, then I will agree with you, but as it stands, you (and others) have only provided a few games that have episodes.

An example of what is popular are sequels and addons. I don't pay much attention to console games, but I do with PC games and I just don't see episodes as being common practice, especially with FPS's, that is the one area where episode's can shine for the FPS community.

edit: Just thinking about this more, episodes works for TV, you watch one episode, it leaves you with a cliffhanger, making you want to watch the next one = $$$.

This system works even better for games, because, take Half Life 2 for example, you can easily carry on the story every 6-12 months, no one has to wait 4 years, the price of the game comes down (which in turn may make downloading iso's unattractive) and of course the game can grow in popularity, making it more successful; and in just a few years, with all the episodes, the game will become quite long if one were to play it from beginning to end -- which i'm sure no one will complain about.

Episodes should be common practice, do away with addons and sequels, it doesn't work.
        Last edited by FrostyBoy; October 23, 2007, 20:56.
        be free

Comment

• Portal initial impressions: PIECE OF ****.

I've got a 1440x900 monitor and the fully updated, latest version of the game doesn't list that so now it looks like **** on my LCD.
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• owned, especially since it actually is a great game.

Comment

• I got it, you have to switch the Aspect Ratio to Widescreen first and then choose the resolution. Retarded.

So I played through up to the 18th chamber and I just can't take any more. Maybe later I'll finish it, but it really can't keep my interest. I can see why the game is so short.

On to try Team Fortress 2...
              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

• But 19th is the best level! And the last!

The Portal gun will make multiplayer games much more interesting for games that implement it.
                be free

Comment

I got it, you have to switch the Aspect Ratio to Widescreen first and then choose the resolution. Retarded.
                  I know it can be hard getting over those technical hurdles. But keep plugging away and you'll be fine.

Comment

• Team Fortress 2 >>>> Portal

I love that they kept the classics like 2Fort.

Comment

• i enjoyed portal from start to finish. atmosphere was definitely nice. ambient soundtrack, the feeling of being labrat, AI that lies and has no conscience etc.
                      Spoiler:

the cake being a lie, and being sent to fiery pit of doom was in no way attempted to be a surprise, but i still felt really betrayed when i encountered the first time. with the soundtrack and all it really made me feel mad for some reason.

last lvl really made we want to keep finding a way and beat the **** out of that glados thing as it was dissuading me not to come. REVENGE

oh and cake. It was so delicious and moist.

yes and this is zero talking about SP game being good and not about portals puzzle gameplay mechanic blah blah. im talking about the SP stuff. yea u read it correctly. :-p
                      :-p

Comment

Team Fortress 2 >>>> Portal

I love that they kept the classics like 2Fort.
                        after plying tf2, im not so sure whether i like it or not.

they changed so much that its gonna take some more time playing to see if the changes are for the postive or not. i played for like 50 min... so yea.... but from what ive seen most changes are with good reasons.

in 2fort, theres roof over the bridge now. there wasnt one in tf and IIRC there wasnt one in TFC either. 2fort pubs can be quite a sniper/soldierfest so maybe this would alleviate a lil bit of that.
                        :-p

Comment

• why is it considered as the game of the year

Comment

• Only for Vesayen.

Comment

• I stumbled on a 2d, fan-made, flash version of Portal last night. It was pretty neat. The most recent console I own is a Playstation; how would I play Portal for real if I wanted to?
                              Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                              "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

• Buy it for PC.

Comment

Working...
                                X