No announcement yet.

Gaming Cliches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dead simple, yeah, 4 Mancubi on platforms, and some more on the ground. Kill them, and a crapload of Arachnotrons comes in.
    Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
    I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

• Noises in space battles.
      Space ships that can stop on a dime.
      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Noises in space battles.

More specifically, I hate the pizz-pizz sound of lasers, be it on spaceships, laser infantry or whatever. The SMAC laser sound is enough to give me nightmares for lifetime.
        Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
        I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

• Solver, sounds like you'd like Unreal
          Who is Barinthus?

Comment

• Originally posted by rah
            Noises in space battles.

Much better than a completely silent game.

Would a game using Newtonian physics really be all that fun?

Comment

• Originally posted by Kuciwalker
              Yes, because it would present new and more interesting challenges than the atmospheric effects we're used to in flight and space sims.

This is one of the reasons why the Babylon 5-themed space sim with an entirely Newtonian physics model for ship movement sounded so cool. It's too bad they cancelled the project.

Here's hoping someone comes along and does that.
              Long-time poster on Apolyton and WePlayCiv
              Consul of Apolyton from the 1st Civ3 Inter-Site Democracy Game (ISDG)
              7th President of Apolyton in the 1st Civ3 Democracy Game

Comment

• winning games is a cliche. There needs to be more games which you can't win.

I'm not talking about Sim games and MMORPG's. I'm talking about real games that are impossible to win.

that reminds me. Has anyone ever beaten Impossible: Mission? That game did seem impossible to me.

Comment

Elite?
                  I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

• It used Newtonian physics? I only played it for a bit, but IIRC it seemed to be normal...

Comment

• Originally posted by Dissident
                      winning games is a cliche. There needs to be more games which you can't win.

I'm not talking about Sim games and MMORPG's. I'm talking about real games that are impossible to win.

that reminds me. Has anyone ever beaten Impossible: Mission? That game did seem impossible to me.
                      You want to play blast corps for the N64.

Comment

The ships in Star Control 2 followed a sort of Newtonian physics.
                        (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                        (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

• Originally posted by Urban Ranger
                          The ships in Star Control 2 followed a sort of Newtonian physics.
                          Well, it was closer than most stuff, I'll give it that.

Basically, it actually modelled momentum, directional thrusting, and planetary gravity wells, but all of it pretty cartoony-like...

For a game that certainly doesn't take itself seriously, it didn't do a bad job of THAT compared to most space games.
                          Long-time poster on Apolyton and WePlayCiv
                          Consul of Apolyton from the 1st Civ3 Inter-Site Democracy Game (ISDG)
                          7th President of Apolyton in the 1st Civ3 Democracy Game

Comment

• Originally posted by Dissident
                            winning games is a cliche. There needs to be more games which you can't win.
                            Yep

The snake game is set up perfectly to this, though somehow most people who make such game has an ending in it
                            This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

• The only mainstream games without winning are Sim style games, and they suck.

Games generally benefit from goals and having winners and losers.

Comment

• Originally posted by DrSpike
                                The only mainstream games without winning are Sim style games, and they suck.

Games generally benefit from goals and having winners and losers.

Simcity is excellent, and has no winners and losers. Like with a real mayor, you know if youre doing what you need to be doing. Caesar 3 had victory conditions, but that was really only to give you a marker for how hard the scenario was, and what was realistically possible in that scenario for someone with the skills from beating the previous scenarios.

Simcity doesnt have leveled scenarios, and so it naturally doesnt have such victory conditions.

In Civ2 the fun part is building up a civ the way you want to, before victory becomes the crucial consideration. The end game, when you do gamey stuff to win, is the least fun part.

Flight sims - enough said.

Havent played the Paradox games yet, but i think playing them to explore history, and guide a nation the way you want to, sounds more appealing than pursuing world conquest by gamey techniques.

"A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Working...
                                X