Project Name?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Project Name?

FrankenCiv is the initial name suggested. I like it, but maybe some problems with it. There is a Civ V mod with that name, so it could be confusing. Also, Frankenstein is the named used by Firaxis for it's playtest group. (this seems to be public info

What are some other names?

I'm partial to "poly" given where we're developing it, and an alternate meaning to poly (multiple) lending itself to the mutable nature of the project.

polyCiv?
    aPolyGine?
    "tout comprendre, c'est tout pardonner"

You're talking about just the project name, i.e. what we're calling it as a game-in-progress, no? The only thing that comes to mind right now, riffing off your suggestions, is "Polyjuice," the shape-shifting potion from Harry Potter. Probably a bit twee, but my other ideas (Acropolys? Polyhedron?) are even dumber.
    1011 1100
    Read The Curse Of Life. Or click on the link to game Google or something if you're bored. Whatever.

Comment

Yah, just for the basic framework of the game. Any actual games built on it would have their own name, they'd just be built on the X engine/platform.

Comment

After further thought, I suggest "Polis" or "Polys." "The Polis Engine." Several reasons:

-Most obviously, it preserves the "Poly" element.
        -The Polis was the name of the ancient Greek city-state, which was the origin of classical/Western civilization. Civilization emerging from a small city and its hinterlands--sounds about right, no?
        -The Polis was also the birthplace of democracy, and this is ultimately intended to be a collaborative project, and hopefully the core of a new mod development community.

I also considered "polyp," which is the organism that builds coral reefs (a small seed, representing the potential for something huge, exotic and beautiful), but discarded it because I think polyps are also some kind of horrible rectal growth or something. Anyway, that's my contribution, such as it is. Probably the name will go through five changes before we settle on something different.
        1011 1100
        Read The Curse Of Life. Or click on the link to game Google or something if you're bored. Whatever.

Comment

I'm a bit concerned that this separate forum might be too out-of-the-way to catch people's eye. Not sure what should be done about it though.
          1011 1100

Comment

We can promote the project on the rest of the site once it gets rolling. Right now there's not much to promote.

Comment

Ten-four. I'm guessing there needs to be a solid, finished core before people get really interested in helping. To which end, time for me to get my butt in gear on the JS.
              1011 1100

Comment

I like "Polys", pronounced "Poll-Is"

Because I'm pretentious like that.
                No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Nobody being sure how to pronounce it is a feature, not a bug. Helps to generate conversation, and stuff.
                  1011 1100

Comment

Working...
                  X