New City Styles: African & Slavic/Balcanic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New City Styles: African & Slavic/Balcanic

These are my first sets of new city sprites. I have stolen most of the artwork from Kyriakos Chalkopoulos (aka Varwnos at the "other forum") and tried my best to fit the buildings onto a CTP2 tile .

Styles I will probably add in the future:

- a proper style for good old barbs
    - a "caucasian" style
    - a mediterranean non-roman style (possibly some "byzantine"-"ottoman" thing)
    - I have to think about a city style for countries which used to be colonies of european powers for a very long time, with few information available about pre-colonial cultures on their territory: possibly some "vaguely native" ancient style followed by some "vaguely colonial/european" style for later ages?
    - possibly an "anglo-saxon" style
    - carribean, indian, himalayan ...

BTW, ist there any limit on the number of city sprites?

EDIT: Hoops, forgot to mention that I've uploaded the sprites to the directory: African Cities, Slavic Cities
    Attached Files
    The modding knowledgebase: CTP2 Bureau (with CTP2 AE Modding Wiki). Modern Times Mod (work in progress): MoT-Mod for CTP2.

Yes there is. I know it for sure for the "original" Game (200 City Sprites). For the AE I don´t know.

Comment

It must have been raised for the AE then, because I am currently at gc238.spr in my sprites folder (includes the african sprites). In this case I suppose it's the same as for unit sprites, which makes 255.

With the slavic/balcanic sprites I am already at 257.

I will need to request a higher limit , or replace some other style(s) , or forget about city styles and do something else .
      The modding knowledgebase: CTP2 Bureau (with CTP2 AE Modding Wiki). Modern Times Mod (work in progress): MoT-Mod for CTP2.

Comment

Great cities Are we allowed to add these to the AE?
        Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)
        CtP2 AE Wiki & Modding Reference
        One way to compile the CtP2 Source Code.

Comment

allowed

Of course!

Comment

You say you'd "stolen" the artwork from Varwnos, so I'm not sure whether he is also fine with us using them?
            Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)

Comment

Is there a link to the original graphics so that we can see whether there are any issues?

Anyway we should include them all. One thing is that you could adjust the colors of the roofs of the industrial styles if you look onto Harlan's original industrial cities you will see that they all have different colors, I prefer something that matches the ancient building.

For the sprite limit, there was an issue about savegames, but that could have been only concerned some unused code from CTP1. So maybe we can increase the sprite limit.

-Martin
              Civ2 military advisor: "No complaints, Sir!"

Comment

not sure whether he is also fine with us using them
                Well, yes, no, I don't know ...
                But it would be against all practice I've seen on these forums not to be fine with it ...

Is there a link to the original graphics
                Yup: Varwnos' graphics library

colors of the roofs of the industrial styles
                Yes, you are right, this is one thing I should eventually take care of.

maybe we can increase the sprite limit

Comment

Following Martin's suggestion I adapted the roof colors , and I tried to fit the sprites even better onto the tile (for better visibility of / less interference with the city wall) ...

I updated the files in the directory: Subsaharan Cities, Balkanesque Cities (my apologies go to those who need to download them a second time )
                  Attached Files

Comment

I don't want to be a pain () but I'll make some suggestions anyway.

I think what Martin suggestion meant was to make the roof colours different to each other, like the existing industrial styles are. For example the Roman roofs are red, and the Egyptians yellow, so you can tell them apart.

The African ones might be fine, although there is already an orange coloured roof style IIRC. Maybe dark brown or dark orange would help differentiate them more.

The Slavic ones would look more unique with the lime green roofs from their ancient style.

Having said all that, these look great and I don't care much about different industrial roof colours, since the details in the background also allow for some difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Maquiladora View Post
                      I think what Martin suggestion meant was to make the roof colours different to each other, like the existing industrial styles are. For example the Roman roofs are red, and the Egyptians yellow, so you can tell them apart.

The African ones might be fine, although there is already an orange coloured roof style IIRC. Maybe dark brown or dark orange would help differentiate them more.

The Slavic ones would look more unique with the lime green roofs from their ancient style.

Having said all that, these look great and I don't care much about different industrial roof colours, since the details in the background also allow for some difference.
                      In fact one of the original idea was to make them more different, but the roof color selection had also something to do with the main color of the building in the middle so that the colors fit to each other, therefore I made the roofs for the egyptians yellow.

But anyway we can live with this solution, well actually the lime green idea isn't so bad.

-Martin
                      Civ2 military advisor: "No complaints, Sir!"

Comment

Sorry for the delay ... have been busy with RL and will be for some time -- but I think I won't disappear again

Actually I think the distinctive function of coloring the roofs is not as important since the whole city styles are sufficiently distinct. I tried to make the roof colors match the colors of the main ancient buildings/monuments, which works pretty well with the balkanesque cities (the cathedral etc.) IMHO -- I'd really rather not replace their color with the greenish one from the ancient set.

The roofs of the african cities could probably be a bit more "brownish" -- I will look into it as soon as I get the opportunity.

At this occasion I will also try to improve the visibility of the city wall specially for the african cities, which turns out to be trickier than I thought

Comment

Originally posted by BureauBert View Post

At this occasion I will also try to improve the visibility of the city wall specially for the african cities, which turns out to be trickier than I thought
                          What we could also do is (give the option to) make the wall graphic appear above the city sprite. I've always thought the walls become very difficult to see once the city sprite covers the outer South-East/South-West edges.
                          Last edited by Maquiladora; August 17, 2009, 08:58.

Comment

Any way I can get a quick primer as to incorporating new city styles (on my own) to the (AP Cradle) game???...
                            Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
                            ...aisdhieort...dticcok...

Comment

Hi Hex!

Step 1: Download the sprites via the above link(s) & rename the last two sprites in the "slavic/balcanic" set as follows:

Code:
                              gc256 --> gc057
                              gc257 --> gc058
                              (this will replace the first two sizes of the original "computer" style sprites with the last two sizes of the "balcanic" set, but fortunately only for the scenario -- necessary as long as the sprite limit is at 255 ). Copy the sprites into the scenario's graphics/sprites folder and the *.tga's into the scenario's graphics/pictures folder.

Note for steps 2 and 3: The ages will likely be different in Cradle and need to be adapted.

Step 2: Add the new styles to citystyle.txt:

Code:
                              CITY_STYLE_AFRICAN {
                              	CPIcon "AfricanStyle.tga"

AgeStyle AGE_ANCIENT_STYLE_AFRICAN
                              	AgeStyle AGE_CLASSIC_STYLE_AFRICAN
                              	AgeStyle AGE_MEDIEVAL_STYLE_AFRICAN
                              	AgeStyle AGE_RENAISSANCE_STYLE_AFRICAN
                              	AgeStyle AGE_INDUSTRIAL_STYLE_AFRICAN
                              	AgeStyle AGE_MODERN_STYLE_AFRICAN
                              	AgeStyle AGE_COMPUTER_STYLE_AFRICAN
                              	AgeStyle AGE_GENETIC_STYLE_ALL
                              	AgeStyle AGE_DIAMOND_STYLE_ALL
                              }

CITY_STYLE_BALKAN {
                              	CPIcon "SlavicStyle.tga"

AgeStyle AGE_ANCIENT_STYLE_BALKAN
                              	AgeStyle AGE_CLASSIC_STYLE_BALKAN
                              	AgeStyle AGE_MEDIEVAL_STYLE_BALKAN
                              	AgeStyle AGE_RENAISSANCE_STYLE_BALKAN
                              	AgeStyle AGE_INDUSTRIAL_STYLE_BALKAN
                              	AgeStyle AGE_MODERN_STYLE_BALKAN
                              	AgeStyle AGE_COMPUTER_STYLE_BALKAN
                              	AgeStyle AGE_GENETIC_STYLE_ALL
                              	AgeStyle AGE_DIAMOND_STYLE_ALL
                              }
                              Step 3: Add them to agecitystyle.txt as well:

Code:
                              AGE_ANCIENT_STYLE_AFRICAN {
                              	Sprites { Type 0	MinSize 0	MaxSize 4	Sprite 220	}
                              	Sprites { Type 0	MinSize 5	MaxSize 8	Sprite 221	}
                              	Sprites { Type 0	MinSize 9	MaxSize 99	Sprite 222	}
                              }
                              AGE_CLASSIC_STYLE_AFRICAN {
                              	Sprites { Type 0	MinSize 0	MaxSize 4	Sprite 220	}
                              	Sprites { Type 0	MinSize 5	MaxSize 8	Sprite 221	}
                              	Sprites { Type 0	MinSize 9	MaxSize 99	Sprite 222	}
                              }
                              AGE_MEDIEVAL_STYLE_AFRICAN {
                              	Sprites { Type 0	MinSize 0	MaxSize 4	Sprite 223	}
                              	Sprites { Type 0	MinSize 5	MaxSize 8	Sprite 224	}
                              	Sprites { Type 0	MinSize 9	MaxSize 14	Sprite 225	}
                              	Sprites { Type 0	MinSize 15	MaxSize 99	Sprite 226	}
                              }
                              AGE_RENAISSANCE_STYLE_AFRICAN {
                              	Sprites { Type 0	MinSize 0	MaxSize 4	Sprite 223	}
                              	Sprites { Type 0	MinSize 5	MaxSize 8	Sprite 224	}
                              	Sprites { Type 0	MinSize 9	MaxSize 14	Sprite 225	}
                              	Sprites { Type 0	MinSize 15	MaxSize 99	Sprite 226	}
                              }
                              AGE_INDUSTRIAL_STYLE_AFRICAN {
                              	Sprites { Type 0	MinSize 0	MaxSize 4	Sprite 227	}
                              	Sprites { Type 0	MinSize 5	MaxSize 8	Sprite 228	}
                              	Sprites { Type 0	MinSize 9	MaxSize 14	Sprite 229	}
                              	Sprites { Type 0	MinSize 15	MaxSize 99	Sprite 230	}
                              }
                              AGE_MODERN_STYLE_AFRICAN {
                              	Sprites { Type 0	MinSize 0	MaxSize 8	Sprite 231	}
                              	Sprites { Type 0	MinSize 9	MaxSize 14	Sprite 232	}
                              	Sprites { Type 0	MinSize 15	MaxSize 20	Sprite 233	}
                              	Sprites { Type 0	MinSize 21	MaxSize 26	Sprite 234	}
                              	Sprites { Type 0	MinSize 27	MaxSize 32	Sprite 235	}
                              	Sprites { Type 0	MinSize 33	MaxSize 38	Sprite 236	}
                              	Sprites { Type 0	MinSize 39	MaxSize 44	Sprite 237	}
                              	Sprites { Type 0	MinSize 45	MaxSize 99	Sprite 238	}
                              	Sprites { Type 1	MinSize 0	MaxSize 8	Sprite 89	}
                              	Sprites { Type 1	MinSize 9	MaxSize 14	Sprite 90	}
                              	Sprites { Type 1	MinSize 15	MaxSize 20	Sprite 91	}
                              	Sprites { Type 1	MinSize 21	MaxSize 26	Sprite 92	}
                              	Sprites { Type 1	MinSize 27	MaxSize 32	Sprite 93	}
                              	Sprites { Type 1	MinSize 33	MaxSize 38	Sprite 94	}
                              	Sprites { Type 1	MinSize 39	MaxSize 44	Sprite 95	}
                              	Sprites { Type 1	MinSize 45	MaxSize 99	Sprite 96	}
                              }
                              AGE_COMPUTER_STYLE_AFRICAN {
                              	Sprites { Type 0	MinSize 0	MaxSize 8	Sprite 231	}
                              	Sprites { Type 0	MinSize 9	MaxSize 14	Sprite 232	}
                              	Sprites { Type 0	MinSize 15	MaxSize 20	Sprite 233	}
                              	Sprites { Type 0	MinSize 21	MaxSize 26	Sprite 234	}
                              	Sprites { Type 0	MinSize 27	MaxSize 32	Sprite 235	}
                              	Sprites { Type 0	MinSize 33	MaxSize 38	Sprite 236	}
                              	Sprites { Type 0	MinSize 39	MaxSize 44	Sprite 237	}
                              	Sprites { Type 0	MinSize 45	MaxSize 99	Sprite 238	}
                              }

AGE_ANCIENT_STYLE_BALKAN {
                              	Sprites { Type 0	MinSize 0	MaxSize 4	Sprite 239	}
                              	Sprites { Type 0	MinSize 5	MaxSize 8	Sprite 240	}
                              	Sprites { Type 0	MinSize 9	MaxSize 99	Sprite 241	}
                              }
                              AGE_CLASSIC_STYLE_BALKAN {
                              	Sprites { Type 0	MinSize 0	MaxSize 4	Sprite 239	}
                              	Sprites { Type 0	MinSize 5	MaxSize 8	Sprite 240	}
                              	Sprites { Type 0	MinSize 9	MaxSize 99	Sprite 241	}
                              }
                              AGE_MEDIEVAL_STYLE_BALKAN {
                              	Sprites { Type 0	MinSize 0	MaxSize 4	Sprite 242	}
                              	Sprites { Type 0	MinSize 5	MaxSize 8	Sprite 243	}
                              	Sprites { Type 0	MinSize 9	MaxSize 14	Sprite 244	}
                              	Sprites { Type 0	MinSize 15	MaxSize 99	Sprite 245	}
                              }
                              AGE_RENAISSANCE_STYLE_BALKAN {
                              	Sprites { Type 0	MinSize 0	MaxSize 4	Sprite 242	}
                              	Sprites { Type 0	MinSize 5	MaxSize 8	Sprite 243	}
                              	Sprites { Type 0	MinSize 9	MaxSize 14	Sprite 244	}
                              	Sprites { Type 0	MinSize 15	MaxSize 99	Sprite 245	}
                              }
                              AGE_INDUSTRIAL_STYLE_BALKAN {
                              	Sprites { Type 0	MinSize 0	MaxSize 4	Sprite 246	}
                              	Sprites { Type 0	MinSize 5	MaxSize 8	Sprite 247	}
                              	Sprites { Type 0	MinSize 9	MaxSize 14	Sprite 248	}
                              	Sprites { Type 0	MinSize 15	MaxSize 99	Sprite 249	}
                              }
                              AGE_MODERN_STYLE_BALKAN {
                              	Sprites { Type 0	MinSize 0	MaxSize 8	Sprite 250	}
                              	Sprites { Type 0	MinSize 9	MaxSize 14	Sprite 251	}
                              	Sprites { Type 0	MinSize 15	MaxSize 20	Sprite 252	}
                              	Sprites { Type 0	MinSize 21	MaxSize 26	Sprite 253	}
                              	Sprites { Type 0	MinSize 27	MaxSize 32	Sprite 254	}
                              	Sprites { Type 0	MinSize 33	MaxSize 38	Sprite 255	}
                              	Sprites { Type 0	MinSize 39	MaxSize 44	Sprite 59	}
                              	Sprites { Type 0	MinSize 45	MaxSize 99	Sprite 60	}
                              }
                              AGE_COMPUTER_STYLE_BALKAN {
                              	Sprites { Type 0	MinSize 0	MaxSize 8	Sprite 250	}
                              	Sprites { Type 0	MinSize 9	MaxSize 14	Sprite 251	}
                              	Sprites { Type 0	MinSize 15	MaxSize 20	Sprite 252	}
                              	Sprites { Type 0	MinSize 21	MaxSize 26	Sprite 253	}
                              	Sprites { Type 0	MinSize 27	MaxSize 32	Sprite 254	}
                              	Sprites { Type 0	MinSize 33	MaxSize 38	Sprite 255	}
                              	Sprites { Type 0	MinSize 39	MaxSize 44	Sprite 59	}
                              	Sprites { Type 0	MinSize 45	MaxSize 99	Sprite 60	}
                              }
                              Step 4: apply the styles in civilisation.txt by using either
                              Code:
                              CityStyle		CITY_STYLE_AFRICAN
                              or
                              Code:
                              CityStyle		CITY_STYLE_BALKAN
                              Last edited by BureauBert; August 18, 2009, 06:09.

Comment

Working...
                              X