Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Protra3211
    replied
    I was able to run Civ4 demo Charlemagne from Beyond the Sword. P4 500ram with 128 intel video card.
    Was able to zoom in and out without any problems at all.Now of course I would still upgrade if I were to buy Civ4 as a full game would have more features.

Leave a comment:

• hexagonian
    replied
    Originally posted by demon59
    I'm running a 2.01 GHz AMD Athlon 64 CPU (3200+) with 1 Gig of Ram with no separate graphics card. Do you think CivIV would run on this?
    Try the demo for civ4...
    http://www.2kgames.com/civ4/downloads.htm

The only thing I'm not sure about is whether the demo has the p1.51 optimization.

The last three demos I tried (EU3, MTW2, Caeser4) made it very clear that my machine would have problems with those games.

Edit...didn't see that you already downloaded the demo

Leave a comment:

• Ekmek
    replied
    Originally posted by Solver
    The place to implement cost requirements wouldn't be in CvPlot::canBuildImprovement(), but I'd rather do it in CvPlayer::canBuild(), as that's where the gold check would fit better.
    rying to avoid getting too OFT but I saw this:

Code:
    bool CvPlayer::canBuild(const CvPlot* pPlot, BuildTypes eBuild, bool bTestEra, bool bTestVisible) const
    {
    	PROFILE_FUNC();

if (!(pPlot->canBuild(eBuild, getID(), bTestVisible)))
    	{
    		return false;
    	}

if (GC.getBuildInfo(eBuild).getTechPrereq() != NO_TECH)
    	{
    		if (!(GET_TEAM(getTeam()).isHasTech((TechTypes)GC.getBuildInfo(eBuild).getTechPrereq())))
    		{
    			if ((!bTestEra && !bTestVisible) || ((getCurrentEra() + 1) < GC.getTechInfo((TechTypes) GC.getBuildInfo(eBuild).getTechPrereq()).getEra()))
    			{
    				return false;
    			}
    		}
    	}

if (!bTestVisible)
    	{
    		if (pPlot->getFeatureType() != NO_FEATURE)
    		{
    			if (!(GET_TEAM(getTeam()).isHasTech((TechTypes)GC.getBuildInfo(eBuild).getFeatureTech(pPlot->getFeatureType()))))
    			{
    				return false;
    			}
    		}

if (max(0, getGold()) < getBuildCost(pPlot, eBuild))
    		{
    			return false; 
    		}
    	}

return true;
    }
    That code was already there and I assume that means gold cost is in? how do I access that?

Edit:
    NEVERMIND

Looks like Firaxis beat me to the punch. In Build above kill (which kils workers) there is icost and it does trace to gold. Looks like I don't have to code after all

now back to your original AOM program....

Leave a comment:

• demon59
    replied
    Well, I just snagged the demo for CivIV and played my 100 turns without my computer bursting into flames, so I guess that means my system at least meets the basic requirements. Time to start shopping...

Leave a comment:

• Solver
    replied
    Somehow the job you've done on AE makes me strongly doubt that you're just a cut-and-paster

The place to implement cost requirements wouldn't be in CvPlot::canBuildImprovement(), but I'd rather do it in CvPlayer::canBuild(), as that's where the gold check would fit better. It's a simple matter of modifying the CvImprovementInfo class to add a gold-cost variable and properly read and expose it.

The AI is always more complicated than that. Sure, if it doesn't have enough gold, it'll see that the bool returns false and will, well, know that it can't build the improvement. It won't, however, realize that it needs more money for it, so you'd need additional AI changes to ensure that it knows how to keep some money for terrain improvements, etc.

Besides, if you set the costs to high enough, you'd need to rebalance several other game areas. For example, if you slow down the game by requiring considerable costs, you'll need to alter the amount of turns, etc.

Leave a comment:

• Ekmek
    replied
    Originally posted by Solver
    Cmon E, you could mod it into Civ4 with your skills.
    You know I'm just a clever cut 'n paster, Martin Guhmann can confirm that...

Gold for tile improvements would be easily modded. A PW system is also quite possible to implement, though it's not something I would do because of the AI.
    I found in the code where I could do that CvPlot::CanBuildImprovement but I know nothing of AI handling (ctp2 or civ4) I guess as a bool I assume the AI can handle it right???

Other than that my consumed workers idea is probably the easiest way to implement and the AI logic of wanting more workers should handle that.

By the way, its no secret that after the CtP2 code anniversary in October I'm moving to Civ4....

Leave a comment:

• demon59
    replied
    I'm running a 2.01 GHz AMD Athlon 64 CPU (3200+) with 1 Gig of Ram with no separate graphics card. Do you think CivIV would run on this?

Verbally abusing someone over their choice of games is IMO the real indicator of a serious intelligence deficiency. I've been playing Civilization games since the original board game, and I've rarely played one that was totally without merit. I really enjoy CTP2 in its various incarnations (love the stacked combat and PW system), I still enjoy Alpha Centauri, and I even stick CivII in my old Playstation every now and then. I've even been known to dig out my old MOOII disc for a bit of something different. None of these games are perfect, but they're all entertaining when I'm in the mood for a game.
    For perfect, someone would have to release a version of M.U.L.E. for Windows XP!

Leave a comment:

• Dale
    replied
    Never thought I'd say this, but I like the Civ4 worker method now. It's a million times better than Civ2/3.

*wanders off grumbling about past comments coming back to haunt me*

Leave a comment:

• Solver
    replied
    Cmon E, you could mod it into Civ4 with your skills. Gold for tile improvements would be easily modded. A PW system is also quite possible to implement, though it's not something I would do because of the AI.

Leave a comment:

• Ekmek
    replied
    this thread is haunted by CtP2 ghosts!

Civ4 with BTS is not a bad game. I'm still irked about not having some way to atleast simulate PW in Civ4.

I thought about adding a gold cost in order to build a tileimp (plot) and was told it was there, but its not. the other option is to make workers cheaper and then have them disbanded by python after building a tileimp/plot. Any chance you ex-ctp2ers will ever try helping with that?

And Dale I see your long range add-on for Civ4 I'm just amazed you cant get Firaxis to add that as standard code in the next patch (even though don't change the stats). Andd that and prereq civics flag.

That is my moding irk with civ4 now, the community does a lot for a dll but its hard to combine them all yeah I know there is a combo project at CFC, but Firaxis could cherry pick some basic stuff like ranged bombard and prereqcivics...

And to stay on topic for AoM, I thought the same thing when I saw Rhye's that it is an AoM heir. Does anyone know what the unbridged differences are at the moment?

Leave a comment:

• Protra3211
    replied
    I have held on and kept playing CtP2 because of the support found here in Apolyton.More than 5 years now and still with the code updates I find a reason to start up another game .
    But its the many people in here that make you feel welcome and a part of the civ commuinty.
    Could Ages of Man with all its updates and AI changes sell as it is and compete with other games today?
    I know that of course will never happen but I wonder.

Leave a comment:

• hexagonian
    replied
    Originally posted by Tellius
    So Dale and Hex, your post saying that people who play CtP2 or AOM are mostly closed-minded pittifull people is not really correct in my case, I enjoy AOM on a daily base, I did try Civ3 (but didn't really like it) and would like to try Civ4, I just don't want to buy a new pc for it.
    You were never part of the group that I would lump as a loyalist - and I believe that I never directed anything at you. There is nothing wrong with preferring one game over another - and I tried to frame my arguments with a great deal of allowance for preference. (I said that AoM is more micromanage-focused, but there are players who may want that...good for them)

I always encouraged people to play what they enjoy. And my opinions about game mechanics are just that...opinions.

Here is where the differences are between me and those I would define as loyalists though...

I used to read the threads on the original AOM forum, where people were bashing back and forth, with growing disbelief, I couldn't figure out why anyone would get upset over a game! I like playing AOM, and posted some questions and sometimes an answer on the original forum. I never felt the urge to defend my liking of the game, I mean, it's a game. If that's all it takes to be labeled a closed-minded loyalist fan, well, I guess it's time to look for another hobby, or at least stear away from threads like these.
    My definition of a loyalist was someone who refuses to see any value in the other system.

To put it into perspective, if I compared the amount of time I played SMAC vs CtP, CtP would win that battle hands down. Yet I consider SMAC to be one of the most incredible games created because of the atmosphere created in the game. It's just that I was never personally crazy about the sci-fi setup, but I recognized that it did a great job for what it was designed to do.

Angrybowen, smithldoo, AlbertThe White, and to some degree, even Stan, could not find one good thing to say about civ4, because they went into the game looking for things to hate about it. I can somewhat accept Stan's bias, because he created AoM, and he was understandably proud of what he had done with the CtP engine, (...and to his credit, he generally was low-key about his criticism of civ), but the others crossed the line when they started calling people who enjoy civ4 mindless morons, or expressed disbelief when somebody played AoM and then went back to playing CtP MedMod. These were things that hit a nerve with me. (and I really do enjoy civ4...I've been playing it for almost 2 years and the only games I have bought in the past year and a half have been both civ4 XPacks)

So when that happened (twice), I decided to take the argument to them on their rules and terms (...they focused heavily on the portrayal of realism in both games and how ITO, AoM was so much better in this regard, so I presented counterpoint to show that all games are simply abstractions, and that each game focuses on different aspects of reality) and on their level of snobbish gaming elitism (...since they thought civ4 players were mindless morons, I was free to be sarcastic and belittling to them).

And there were several times that I publicly posted how funny it was that everyone was so worked up about game mechanics...and that I would be laughing my head off about the directions the discussions were heading.

The funny thing is that I never did hear the same observation from them, (...the realization that we all were arguing about trival things in the great scheme of life) which actually made me laugh even harder because all the discussion heat was being generated over what amounts to a diversionary hobby (as you pointed out).

So I kept the ball rolling, hoping that readers could get beyond the smoke and see that gamechoice does not define intelligence, as they had stated several times - and to show readers the loyalists' true petty nature. And during the process, I think I learned that lesson a little better myself.

You see, when it was all said and done, I know that civ4/AoM are only games...and I still wonder if they figured that out.

Oh well...I guess I should have taken the high road on the discussions, but that had failed in the gorilla thread.

When I initially posted here, it was to present Rhye's modwork as an interesting alternative for players who enjoyed what AoM offered. Rhye's work, simply stated, is not AoM, but it presents a unique gaming experience that may appeal to someone who likes AoM.

And many players play a variety of games. Although I have not bought any new games other than civ4 XPacks lately, I continue to play a varity of games (I played some AoE1, Pharaoh, and AoW2, as well as FfH2 for civ4 over the past year)

Civ4 also provides a lot of unique mods - more than CtP ever did. All of the CtP2 mods are historically based, but the civ4 community has sci-fi, fantasy, as well as a lot of historical mods and scenarios. That alone creates a lot of choices for a player.

I would have tried CivIV a long time ago if not for the PC specs. I simply have no need for a new pc, and buying one for a game is just a bit too much for me.

I've been told my 2Ghz with 512Mb Ram won't run the game, maybe several patches have lowered the minimal requirements a bit? I'd love to try out the game ánd the mod you guys mention.
    I do realize that any game has a somewhat hit-or-miss record on any system, so there is always a chance that you may experience sluggish performance, while someone else doesn't have the same problem on a similar system.

To be honest, when civ4 first came out, it ran very slow on my 2.7Ghz/1024Mb RAM/128Mb vid card on anything over standard map size. I tabled the game, hoping for a patch that would clear it up. The patch that was released about 6 months later (I cannot remember the number, I think it was 1.51) did clear up performance though. Both XPacks run nicely on my system now. And I do not generally play the largest maps anyhow.

By the way, I don't really like the graphical engine of CivIV - I've seen many many screenshots. I think for civ games, a nicely detailed bitmap engine is still the best way to go (think for instance of the detailed maps of the last generation of bitmap games such as Blitzkrieg). Just a matter of taste.
    The graphics have really grown on me, though it is not what defines why I play civ4.

Leave a comment:

• Boney
    replied
    Originally posted by hexagonian

I'd define it as streamlined rather than shallow.

Oftentimes, there is a difference between complex strategy decisions and simply creating busywork.

Take the worker system in civ4. I used to favor the CtP/AoM PW sytem because it was more streamlined, but because civ4 game mechanics are not primarily driven by Bigger Is Better TM (and the elimination of civ3 pollution), a player is not locked into endless worker management throughout the game unless he chooses to play that way. Many times, I have my cities all improved by the mid-game, and any new cities I take will already be improved. I can also give my workers a 'go to' command to easily link up my cities with roads and rails.

End result - I can play either system without wishing that it was the other system.

In civ4...open/closed borders stop that endless annoyance.
    Streamlined is more the word I was looking for. Others may call it dumbing down, but it enables me and my son to play together, whereas other versions were too complicated and time consuming.

Civ3 pollution, culture flipping, distance from capital penalties really put me off the game, but all these have been adjusted for Civ4

Originally posted by hexagonian
    No...and I do find it interesting that you are favoring civ4 now.
    As I said I do like both games, but Civ4 is just so much less time consuming.

As I said before I used to like Cradle, and it is probably still my fave Civ game of all time. But I can't be bothered with the hassle of putting it on my new computer.

Leave a comment:

• Solver
    replied
    I've been told my 2Ghz with 512Mb Ram won't run the game, maybe several patches have lowered the minimal requirements a bit? I'd love to try out the game ánd the mod you guys mention.

That's simply false, I first played Civ4 on a slightly weaker machine. Yes, it will get slow if you play the largest maps, but it will run.

Leave a comment:

• Tellius
    replied
    Hi,

I would have tried CivIV a long time ago if not for the PC specs. I simply have no need for a new pc, and buying one for a game is just a bit too much for me.

By the way, I don't really like the graphical engine of CivIV - I've seen many many screenshots. I think for civ games, a nicely detailed bitmap engine is still the best way to go (think for instance of the detailed maps of the last generation of bitmap games such as Blitzkrieg). Just a matter of taste. I hope bigger sized tiles will eventually be possible in CtP AE

So Dale and Hex, your post saying that people who play CtP2 or AOM are mostly closed-minded pittifull people is not really correct in my case, I enjoy AOM on a daily base, I did try Civ3 (but didn't really like it) and would like to try Civ4, I just don't want to buy a new pc for it.

I used to read the threads on the original AOM forum, where people were bashing back and forth, with growing disbelief, I couldn't figure out why anyone would get upset over a game! I like playing AOM, and posted some questions and sometimes an answer on the original forum. I never felt the urge to defend my liking of the game, I mean, it's a game. If that's all it takes to be labeled a closed-minded loyalist fan, well, I guess it's time to look for another hobby, or at least stear away from threads like these.

Greetz

T.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X