Anybody home?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody home?

Is anybody still playing AoM (and still posting about it, somewhere)?

I'd guess a fair few people are still playing, but very few are posting, perhaps they just didn't feel like joining up with another forum after the switch from the original forum.
    Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)
    CtP2 AE Wiki & Modding Reference
    One way to compile the CtP2 Source Code.

Comment

I do have to plug this - after playing it for the first time today...

The progressive heir to AoM is 'Rhyes and Fall of Civilization' for civ4. The best way to describe it is that it really does great job of simulating the ebb and flow of history (i.e., the rise and fall of civgroups) It really reminds me of a TBS version of EU2.

It's too bad that Stan did not pursue an AoM version of civ4 when civ4 first came out. Chances are, he could have seen AoM as a corporate sponsored add-on for BtS, which is what happened with Rhye's Mod.

If you like AoM give Rhye's Mod a shot...
      Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
      ...aisdhieort...dticcok...

Comment

Hex,

I wouldn't bother mate. These guys don't like Civ4, will never like Civ4, and seen to be totally brainwashed against Civ4.

Comment

I do not care about the fanatic, hard-core loyalists - they haven't been visible anywhere for quite some time.

My guess is that they probably will remain under their nice, safe rock too.

My suggestion to play Rhye's is for those players who have an open mind for different gaming experiences, and are looking for the civ4 equivalant of some of the general ideas presented in AoM (a game that strived to mirror history as is actually unfolded through the use of heavily scripted events). Those open-minded players are free to play any game they enjoy, without fear from a fanbase that would publicly sneer at their choice of game. That sneering, condescending attitude was a hallmark of some of the AoM loyalists...(not all of them thankfully - and at least none of that particular crowd has shown their faces here in a long time).

AoM takes a purely alternative approach to history. And there is nothing wrong with that either. After all, that is the hallmark of civ4/ctp...

In short, AoM presented history that had little basis in actual history, other than in a very generalized and generic format - and it does not mirror the rise of actual and viable civs at different points in time...again as it has occurred throughout history.

Rhye's Mod also presents an alternative approach (and it uses generalized and a somewhat generic setup because all games have to do that), but it is more grounded in the events of history too. Which is what I want to draw attention to... (given that there was a lot of heated discussion comparing the historical accuracy of both AoM and civ4.)

Rhye's setup plays out on an actual worldmap, and places historical civs in their historical locales. What further sets it apart is that civs will rise up at specific points of the game, based on when they did so historically. In gameterms, Rome will enter the game at about turn 80 in the Italian penninsula. Rome will have to deal with Vandal and Hun incursions, and if it grow too big (and in my first attempt, I was lulled into doing that), they will face huge problems due to the rise of later and actual historical civs on their borders.

The player can choose to play different civs during the course of the game too. You can start with the Egyptians, and when Rome enters the stage, you can choose to play them instead - play them for awhile and then when Britain enters, you can switch to them.

From a gameplay standpoint, it's a very cool concept that greatly enhances replayability.

It is very much like a TBS-version of EU2 - a game that I always had a high regard for.
          Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner

Comment

When AoM came out, I posted in civ3 forums to promote AoM concepts because I felt that AoM offered an interesting alternative to gamers. It's only fair that I do the same for Rhye's setup, because it has a similar feel to AoM.

Comment

So give it a shot...

Comment

You only now played Rhye's, Hex? Shame on you
                Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Originally posted by Solver
                  You only now played Rhye's, Hex? Shame on you
                  Which is why I'm posting...sometimes players are not aware of some incredible options that are available. I was aware of Rhye's Mod, but until I decided to play it, it was as if it had never existed for me...

Comment

I can understand not being aware of Rhye's. But knowing about it and not giving it a try has no excuse

Comment

I've never played Rhye's. I HATE the thought of being hand-held through history.

Oh wait, I've heard that before!

Comment

I don't think Rhye's is "being hand-held through history". It's more like fulfilling Civ's slogan about rewriting history - Rhye's really is the mod that allows you to do just that. It's definitely not a mod for people who don't like historical gameplay, but hey, you design historical mods/scenarios!

Comment

Rhye's has steered goals you have to meet to win.

That's being hand-held.

But as you say, I design specific timeline mods, so it's obvious the type of game I like. Dumped in trouble, must get out of it.

Comment

No, Rhye's offers those goals as only one of the victory conditions. You can still win in other ways. Though historical victories are my favorite aspect of his mod - it gives me a chance to try to, well, repeat the accomplishments of some real civs.

Comment

I just realized tonight that there were historical goal options available for civs. I already failed on meeting Rome's stated goals.

This does not diminish my enjoyment, because I still get to experience the dynamics that Rome had to face. Mainly, that Rome's size often stretched resources to the breaking point, and that the incusion and rising of actual historical civs on the fringes of my empire (like the Celts) as opposed to a more generic barbarian designation) caused a great deal of havoc for them.

Having survived and thrived until the 800s, I had to cut bait in the Iberian penninsula because of the rise of Spain. The rise of Spain also stripped my garrisons within Spain, as they became loyal to the Spanish culture that they were living in. ( a nice presentation of cultural power)

I was able to take Iberia back - but the idea that was presented in the gameplay was the ebb and flow of history, rather than a continual climb that is the norm in vanilla civ4/AoM. It's that little bit of atmospheric personality that gives a game classic status for me...

I tend to play more for atmosphere than for hard victory.

Comment

Working...
                              X