X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chequita guevara
    replied
    Originally posted by Richard Bruns
    Not that it matters at this point, but I too like number 1.

Well, it lets me know I made the right decision.

The only problem I see with that design is that the picture on the left is pretty big and dominant, taking up a lot of space.

I can fiddle with that a little bit, but I'm trying to keep the text area in the middle easy to read. When lines reach beyond sixty characters, the eye has a harder time keeping track of where it is supposed to be and reading slows down as the eye has to re-orient itself to the begining of a new line.

But making the image smaller and adding more white space will also help "lighten" the design load, again, making it easier on the eyes.

I think I'll try a few variations on the first theme and see how people like those.

For now, I think this thread can be un-topped.

Leave a comment:

• Richard Bruns
    replied
    Not that it matters at this point, but I too like number 1. Bright web pages hurt my eyes, and, in my opinon, look less professional. The only problem I see with that design is that the picture on the left is pretty big and dominant, taking up a lot of space.

Leave a comment:

• chequita guevara
    replied
    There's 14 members of the Clash Team according to the website. Theoretically #2 could still win, but after two weeks, and emailing everyone who hasn't posted here in this thread, I think that this is pretty much it.

I guess #1 wins (especially since I'm weighting Mark's vote since he's the one putting the most effort into this project). Well then, s'pose I better get crackin'.

Leave a comment:

• Mark_Everson
    replied
    Hi Gary! Glad to see you here and kickin'

I can't believe nobody's voted for the Bananas yet! Sheesh, what a bunch of stiffs.

Leave a comment:

• LDiCesare
    replied
    Originally posted by Gary Thomas
    Record me as preferring #1.

Cheers

Gary Thomas
    Nice to hear from you again Gary!

Leave a comment:

• chequita guevara
    replied
    Originally posted by Gary Thomas

Cheers

Gary Thomas
    Didya vote in the poll?

Leave a comment:

• Gary Thomas
    replied

Cheers

Gary Thomas

Leave a comment:

• Mark_Everson
    replied
    Originally posted by chegitz guevara
    I knew you were just using them as thematic art. Just was throwing out an idea. I do like your concept though. Do you think it would work reasonably with version #1?

It might be possible if they were squared off, but it would take more real estate on the page. Let me look into it.
    Thanks! I just thought it would look cool, like it did in #2. Be good to see if it can be made to work.

Leave a comment:

• chequita guevara
    replied
    Originally posted by Mark_Everson
    Hi che, thanks for the responses. I think I agree with your comments on #1, but I don't know what a "pull-quote" is. Guess you're right about blocks-o-text needing to be thinner. Advantages of having a pro who knows this stuff!

Pull-quotes are blocks of text pulled from the main body which call attention to the story. I'm specifically refering to the "downloads" box, which, technically, isn't a pull quote.

I knew you were just using them as thematic art. Just was throwing out an idea. I do like your concept though. Do you think it would work reasonably with version #1?

It might be possible if they were squared off, but it would take more real estate on the page. Let me look into it.

Leave a comment:

• Mark_Everson
    replied
    Hi che, thanks for the responses. I think I agree with your comments on #1, but I don't know what a "pull-quote" is. Guess you're right about blocks-o-text needing to be thinner. Advantages of having a pro who knows this stuff!

[SIZE=1] Originally posted by chegitz guevara I'm It's only accidental that the images on top match the number of buttons. They are simply for design purposes. They illustrate various cultures and also move forward in time (there was an image of the Abe Lincoln Memorial but it didn't fit). The design is kind of a flash/Japanese ultra-modern. The idea is to say that we're pushing the edge. After all--you're trying to create a powerful ai, which is something most game companies seem to have ignored.

Leave a comment:

• chequita guevara
    replied
    Originally posted by Mark_Everson
    Perhaps you should briefly respond to peoples' comments

Okee dokee

But seriously, I like pretty much everything about #1. My one issue is that a lot of screen real-estate is dedicated to the image at left. It makes a Great first impression, but after the 20th time it might get old.

I'm thinking that the image and area below it would be part of the text area, so that the whole thing is scrollable. The text will wrap around the bottom edge of the image/"pull-quote". The size of the image and "pull-quote" box can be fiddled with to get closer to the sweet-spot (twelve words or sixty characters).

I wouldn't want to have the entire are filled with text in any event. Text is actually easier to read in smaller columns, and electronic text needs all the help it can get.

#2 is good in that it has a bit more screen dedicated to the real stuff. I also like the strip of thumbnails at the top. I think it'd be especially good if the thumbnails could be associated with the menu items in some contextual way, like "downloads" could show a computer, etc.

It's only accidental that the images on top match the number of buttons. They are simply for design purposes. They illustrate various cultures and also move forward in time (there was an image of the Abe Lincoln Memorial but it didn't fit). The design is kind of a flash/Japanese ultra-modern. The idea is to say that we're pushing the edge. After all--you're trying to create a powerful ai, which is something most game companies seem to have ignored.
    Last edited by chequita guevara; January 1, 2003, 23:01.

Leave a comment:

• LDiCesare
    replied
    Accept the trend, it was going in my direction .

Leave a comment:

• Mark_Everson
    replied
    Hi che:

If you're comfortable with the flow from the voting, I'd say go with it. We are at a fairly low ebb in terms of participation, and that's just what we're stuck with.

Glad to hear you've a chance to get going on it, I'm looking forward to it! Perhaps you should briefly respond to peoples' comments so we know what you're thinking is on the issues that have been raised.

Cya,

Mark

Leave a comment:

• chequita guevara
    replied
    Well, it's been almost two weeks, only six folks have voted. I'd like to start on the redesign ASAP. Should we simply accept the trend, or should I email everyone on the staff list and make them vote first?

Leave a comment:

• chequita guevara
    replied
    How about topping this Mark?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X