Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bdanv
    replied
    yes, concentrating on SMAC first seems to be the way to go.

Delighted to have a fellow SMAX hater trying to improve SMAC
    so, are you willing to playtest too?

Leave a comment:

• kittenOFchaos
    replied
    Another request modding god, can you put in an option to disable datalinks.

When my brother and I play multiplayer, we ban planetary governor for either of us as datalinks are just too powerful. Seeing everything that is getting built for just one probe action - totally overpowered.

Leave a comment:

• kittenOFchaos
    replied
    Originally posted by kyrub View Post
    Will be glad for any report / feedback.

Improbable. I find the expansion dull and several AI mechanisms simply don't work in SMAX, so it would be lot of work to get it right.
    Delighted to have a fellow SMAX hater trying to improve SMAC

What would be more useful would be to improve the AI's use of air power.

Yang builds billions of bombers. Yet he only goes after formers and then sends his planes onto the same tile - an easy target. Killing formers isn't a dreadful idea, but he'd do far better if those planes attacked military units out in the open and were used to support his offensives. In fact, Yang with good bomber AI would be formidable.

Leave a comment:

• kyrub
    replied
    Originally posted by bdanv View Post
    oh, the AI is building the occasional crawler. it just can't use it extensively.
    Yeah, I know. But now the AI should be about 100x more likely to build it (if I'm right, which is hard to say without testing), up to 2 crawlers per base, chance diminishing with every new crawler built. But let's not get ahead of us, the fonctions are incredibly complex.

(Same with speeder numbers so far: hard to tell if there is any improvement, since I have not been playing the game for a long time.)

Leave a comment:

• bdanv
    replied
    i'm swamped with work today, but will find time for this in the weekend.
    Data angels don't ask for technology, because the game checks for "Univ" string and many other instances of this kind. Very lazy work by Firaxis.

I could maybe instill the terraforming part into SMAX, that should be mostly Copy - Paste routine, since I rebuilt that part of code completely in SMAC.
    any improvement in the AI terraforming would be great, of course, if you have the time for it.
    And I have seen a Lal's crawler... 3 turns before it was eaten by a worm
    oh, the AI is building the occasional crawler. it just can't use it extensively.

Leave a comment:

• kyrub
    replied
    Originally posted by bdanv View Post
    i'll test your patch.

any chance for a SMAX patch?
    Improbable. I find the expansion dull and several AI mechanisms simply don't work in SMAX, so it would be lot of work to get it right. Data angels don't ask for technology, because the game checks for "Univ" string and many other instances of this kind. Very lazy work by Firaxis.

I could maybe instill the terraforming part into SMAX, that should be mostly Copy - Paste routine, since I rebuilt that part of code completely in SMAC.

------

2-space cities... Yeah, it does not fonction very well in my tests so far. Hive has become significantly more pushover with this feature. I may remove it later. Other than than, I have had much better results for Spartans and Believers. And I have seen a Lal's crawler... 3 turns before it was eaten by a worm.

Leave a comment:

• bdanv
    replied
    wow, .exe editing!
    i'll test your patch.

no more AI bases at distance = 2
    why do that? humans can ICS too.

any chance for a SMAX patch?

Leave a comment:

• kyrub
    started a topic SMAC 444 (AI experiment)

SMAC 444 (AI experiment)

This is an experimental AI patch for SMAC. It tries to fix the most obvious AI flaws with as little work as possible.

Latest

Unzip, copy into your SMAC folder, overwrite (you may want to backup the old 'terran.exe' first).
    Stability is unknown. Use at your own risk!

Patch contents

SMAC_444_k
    - stockpile energy bug
    - AI exchange base bug
    - children creche morale bonus bug
    - AI hurrying price bug
    - AI will try to build seaformers even before it has seabases
    - more colony pods for University and Morgan
    - reversal of distant AI cities (AI can build cities at closest distance again) from SMAC_444_j

SMAC_444_j
    - a lesson in basic land terraforming (no boreholes yet)
    - a few tech_beelines
    - more focus on formers, recycling tanks to speed up the early AI game
    - no more AI bases at distance = 2
    - a few changes to AI unit design
    - more AI ships
    - AI should now build and use crawlers
    - AI should be more likely to build speeders

All this was combined with scient's excellent (unofficial) patch.
    I decided to put back the unit 2048 limit, since it crashed the game.

Donwload:
    Last edited by kyrub; March 11, 2011, 06:03.
Working...
X