Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for something different in a Civ style Game?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Not likely from what I've heard (and read in this thread). As far as Activision goes, if they never hear the word CTP II again, it'll be too soon."Asmodean.

They were totally unsupportive of the sequel or super mod idea.

Comment

• They didn't put the news up so far anyway.

Comment

• Originally posted by stankarp
        Defence rests. William was the best and Magna Carta might as well be the wonder.:-))
        I don't disagree, I just found linking the two a little odd.

I'll give it a go once I get it installed properly. Is the disc you sent me the same zip as the release version?
        Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
        "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

• I don't think Magna Carta gels well with William. Why not use the Domesday Book, which was impressive. Magna Carta says more about the relative power of the nobility and King John than the genius of any one man.

Alternatively you could use Magna Carta with someone that defended it, like Simon de Montfort, though arguably he wasn't that heroic.

Comment

• Ben,

It is virtually the final.
            1)Martin corrected a few tile border errors for me since then.
            2)I have found an error where one copper (sand dunes) does not return an advance, now fixed.
            3)Tweaked a few things.
            4)Trying to make the capture capital and kill ai functions more reliable. Once you get into the game, they do not run all the time.
            5)Will bring back a couple of goods that were taken out to allow for more strategic goods.
            6)Extra heroes.
            7)Fromafar has picked up a few logic errros in code (not just my own) and should finish checking for the projected shipping date.

Final testing now, turn 450, no problems except for 4 above. Was cruising, trying to finish the Persians off. I thought I had basically killed off their field armies after some intense fighting and captured 5 cities. Suddenly they counterattacked and caught me off guard. Now I find I am short of infantry so have to go on the defensive for a few turns till I rebuild.
            Last edited by stankarp; March 31, 2005, 17:53.

Comment

• Progress on Heroes Poll (all forums).

3 Votes.
              Tuthmosis III.
              2 votes.
              Leonidas.
              Leiv Eirikson.

Poll is still open.

Comment

• Originally posted by DrSpike
                I don't think Magna Carta gels well with William. Why not use the Domesday Book, which was impressive. Magna Carta says more about the relative power of the nobility and King John than the genius of any one man.

Alternatively you could use Magna Carta with someone that defended it, like Simon de Montfort, though arguably he wasn't that heroic.
                hmm yes maybe the doomsdaybook would fit better but i don't really have a problem with William and the Magna Carta, lots of people would find it makes sense in that they are both an english historic thing.

And what's wrong with Simon de Montfort? he's an ancestor of my family(allegedly) - he was quite an influencial person i thought?

And stan, where are those hero polls? can i vote here?

i'd like to vote for a kin-man of mine

Hywel Dda, wrote some very progressive laws for welsh people.
                here's a link with plenty of info for you to consider(actualy i was hoping it would have more info on the laws he past). Still 'google' might find more info.

Hywel Dda was born towards the end of the ninth century. In 928 AD he made a pilgrimage to Rome and by 942 AD he ruled over most of the country and claimed the title "King of all Wales". The Prologue to the early manuscripts state that he then summoned representatives from each commote in his kingdom to an assembly at “The White House on the Taf in Dyfed†for the purpose of codifying the laws.

oh and you should hear from Maq in the next couple of days ref my order(and donation) for AoM

what me bribe? surely not

http://www.llgc.org.uk/drych/drych_s006.htm this one actualy has scanned versions of the law book.

and one more here:

Last edited by child of Thor; April 1, 2005, 16:22.
                'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.

Comment

• Originally posted by child of Thor

hmm yes maybe the doomsdaybook would fit better but i don't really have a problem with William and the Magna Carta, lots of people would find it makes sense in that they are both an english historic thing.

And what's wrong with Simon de Montfort? he's an ancestor of my family(allegedly) - he was quite an influencial person i thought?
                  Well if any English historic things will do then fine. I thought the two were supposed to go together.

Nothing wrong with de Montfort, it just depends on your views of how much his actions were just to further his own interests.

Comment

• Originally posted by DrSpike

Well if any English historic things will do then fine. I thought the two were supposed to go together.

edit....
                    Hmmm i guess it depends on what effect stan was looking for. Could the Doomsday book double up in the gameplay as equal to the Magna Carter? If its possible to twist it, then yes the Doomsday book makes more sense chronologically. Still many non brits(or history buffs) won't really notice if it was Magna Carter i expect.
                    I guess its down to Stan+Hex and what fits for the game as is?

De Montfort was a bit of a tyrant i always thought? Like many from his day. Still he isn't exactly remebered with affection in wales, although i expect my grandfather made up the story to embarass me
                    'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Comment

• "lots of people would find it makes sense in that they are both an english historic thing" COT.
                      My view exactly

To clarify, Wonder Units and Heroes are best used in offensive war, that is why I picked William. The Normans, through aggressive actions, had a huge influence on the middle ages. I had thought about a wonder called "Norman Conquest" but settled on Magna Carata.

"oh and you should hear from Maq in the next couple of days ref my order(and donation) for AoM "

Thanks guys.

Comment

• Originally posted by stankarp
                        "lots of people would find it makes sense in that they are both an english historic thing" COT.
                        My view exactly

To clarify, Wonder Units and Heroes are best used in offensive war, that is why I picked William. The Normans, through aggressive actions, had a huge influence on the middle ages. I had thought about a wonder called "Norman Conquest" but settled on Magna Carata.

"oh and you should hear from Maq in the next couple of days ref my order(and donation) for AoM "

Thanks guys.
                        hey stan - what do you think on possibly using the 'Doomsday book' instead of Magna Carter? As it was part of Williams legacy to britain? http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/source/domesday1.html

Would it fit into the wonder events balance? would it be easy to change if not too late? I guess as an effect it was really one of the biggest audit reports of its time. Which would have had an positive effect on the centralisation of the monarchs power among other things?

Comment

• At this stage I would rather not change the Magna Carta, as I have already made the wonder AVI and it is one of the better ones.

Comment

• yeah i was thinking about that this morning - "hmmm i wonder if he has done the wonder movie, that would make it an open and shut case" - Magna Carta it is then

Comment

• At least if you did wonder movies you are one step ahead of Firaxis.

Comment

• "At least if you did wonder movies you are one step ahead of Firaxis. "

51 wonder movies in AOM, all with sound. That + 51 steps ahead of Firaxis.

Comment

Working...
                                X