SSD - what a difference!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SSD - what a difference!

I just installed a 960GB Corsair SSD Drive, replacing a 1TB Velociraptor 10,000RPM drive. The SSD drive is 4 times the speed of the 10,000RPM drive... incredible. It's also way faster than the third 7,200RPM Drive I have. I simply cloned my main drive to the SSD effortlessly. It writes at about 520MB/S (write), while my older 10,000RPM maybe did 150MB/S ( which is good for a mechanical drive).

I was a little late upgrading the hard-drive. Now there is absolutely no lag in games like Tomb Raider. Also the price of SSDs have plummeted, so if you're in the market for one go and get it. A 480GB SSD is around $120, and a 960GB SSD (Corsair) is around $230. I remember these drives costing several times that. Also the failure rates are far lower now.

I think I spent too much on my computer lol. The only thing I haven't upgraded in about 6 years is the case. The Lian-Li case is still so nice.

Edit: For my laptop, I'll probably pick up a 256GB/275GB SSD drive which is around $70 - Now that's a great upgrade! I don't have much on the laptop, but it's about 3 years old. 256GB would be suitable. For the laptop, I Would suggest buying a USB Enclosure to clone it.
    Last edited by Giancarlo; October 17, 2016, 00:00.
    For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

My computer uses an Asus P9X79 Pro motherboard, which includes a nifty little feature that allows you to use an SSD as a cache for your primary hard drive. So, My 2TB Toshiba drive is cached by a 128GB Samsung 840 PRO Series SSD. It's a couple years old now, but it still runs with the best of them.
    No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

SSD's are great

just tough for me to find space for games

512gb

that's nothing

meanwhile, i just end up putting everything on my storage drive because nobody seems to know what compression is anymore

games can run 50-100gb each nowadays... the aaa's anyways
      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Can it work with boards that don't support AHCPI though?

Comment

Originally posted by Sava
          SSD's are great

just tough for me to find space for games

512gb

that's nothing

meanwhile, i just end up putting everything on my storage drive because nobody seems to know what compression is anymore

games can run 50-100gb each nowadays... the aaa's anyways
          960gb SSDs are getting cheaper. Believe me.. I have 350+ games on Steam. I had to put some on the 10,000rpm Velociraptor mechanical drive though. Works great still.

I might buy another 960gb SSD just for games lol.

My laptop is definitely getting a drive... I found a 275gb SSD for $70. That should be sufficient.
          Last edited by Giancarlo; October 19, 2016, 16:53.
          For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

i had a lot of bullshit... and apparently a duplicate windows install?

just freed up 100gb and didn't have to get rid of anything important
            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Sounds like my laptop. I had a bunch of crap and was wondering if I needed a 500gb SSD. Found out it was a bunch of old installation files for software and some games I only played once and beat (hidden object games lol... Usually steam bargain bin ones under $5).

Went from 140gb to 60gb. So I will get a 275Gb Crucial SSD instead.

Comment

I read a lot about the subject because I wanted to get one but I don't want to change my whole PC that suits me fine just to play the new games.
                Opinions are divided when it comes to motherboards without AHCI and wether they can support trim function or not on SSDs.
                There is no definite answer (trust me, I"VE LOOKED) so I pass it, although it would be nice since they are at a price of eating out by now.

Comment

I got the 275gb SSD for my laptop but I think I messed up the clone and have to do it over again. It wont boot. Ugh. Still it should work. Have to clone the entire drive.. Not just the C: drive. The laptop has some type of invisible system partition.

Comment

Got a 256 GB SSD for my desktop last weekend. That thing is really a blessing

The inventors should get a Nobel prize or something.

My PC isn't super hitech, but CPU, RAM and GFX card are still fine for me. The HD however wasn't the fastest to begin with, and it could slow down the whole system when it was very busy. Muuuuch better now
                    Blah

Comment

I got a SSD for my laptop in 2011. Best purchase ever. The SSD keeps the laptop working despite it being completely outdated.
                      In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Could all of you that got an SSD search and find if you have or not ahci enabled?

It's easy go to your bios setting and see if it's there.

(press/choose "discard changes" after you're done to be sure you don't mess anything up)

Comment

It will be at your disks options and you'll have two options:

either advanced host controller interface (ahci) or SATA (or IDE)

Comment

Working...
                          X