desk top vs laptop which to buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• desk top vs laptop which to buy?

Ok, I have a desk top I built about three and a half years ago and I have a laptop provided by my work which I basically only use for work related things. I don't need to replace my desktop but I kind of want to because three years is a long time in the world of computers. The question is what should I buy?

I don't play a lot of video games and when I do they tend to be games like Civ or one of the paradox series of games, I am open to playing other games but don't really have the time to even figure out which ones out there are good much less to sink much time into any of them. Other than that all I really do is world processing, manage my budget & investments, and do a bit of web surfing. Do I even need a new computer and if so what sort of computer should I buy, with which operating system, and am I missing out on anything new or exciting by not upgrading?

I used to keep up with this stuff but now I find it hard to be bothered. I guess I'm just approaching middle age or something?
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

desktops are great if you do a lot of gaming since they have a far better cost/performance ratio.

OTOH with the laptop, you can take it to the balcony, in the sleeping room, in the living room, wherever and work from there.
    There are new stuff in PC seeing as gaming using a new rig is nowhere near that of old days and since the new consoles are coming out, a new gaming desktop PC is a must, if you play games. They will simply not run in an older PC.

If not, a middle of the line laptop would be better.
    BUT, typing (if you do a lot pf that) is much better, faster and more anatomically healthy if done in a proper large desktop keyboard.
    About operating system win7 and upwards is fine, unless you get a touch screen laptop in which case you'll need (I think) win8 and up.

Comment

Can you use your work laptop for non-work related suff?

Also, if your PC is still OK for the games you play, then there's no real need to change it...
      Indifference is Bliss

Comment

What's your budget?

I can't answer whether or not you need a new PC. That's up to you.

As far as OS, I'd stick with 7. Unless you really love metro tiles, there's no conceivable reason to "upgrade".

If you want to provide a budget, I can find you the best hardware for the money.
        or at least point you in the right direction
        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

While we're at it, what's the sweet spot for video cards right now? I'll be in brazil at the end of november, ant it is remarkably cheaper over there than here.
          Indifference is Bliss

Comment

Originally posted by N35t0r
            While we're at it, what's the sweet spot for video cards right now? I'll be in brazil at the end of november, ant it is remarkably cheaper over there than here.
            If I were buying new hardware today, I'd pick up a nvidia gtx 970... maybe two.
            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

lol, over here, they're at ~1k USD. In Brazil, some 650 USD
              Indifference is Bliss

Comment

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-065-_-Product

For that videocard
                Indifference is Bliss

Comment

yikes!
                  To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

:sadnod:
                    Indifference is Bliss

Comment

can't you get them off the internet from another country?

Comment

Yesish, with a 35% tax, and the hassle of having to go to customs to get the package (which is, in the best of cases, a lost morning), plus shipping. Buying it on Brazil is cheaper, even if I have to buy the dollars on the black market.
                        Indifference is Bliss

Comment

Oh, and filling out a form with the tax agency beforehand, and they need to approve the purchase.
                          Indifference is Bliss

Comment

jezas

Comment

Indifference is Bliss

Comment

Working...
                              X