Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

legacy game collection dos through the present.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • legacy game collection dos through the present.

    64 bit windows 7 so far seems to run most of my software that's less than 10 years old without a hitch. However, compatibility mode is a bit dodgy and 16 bit software will simply not work at all.

    I thought about dual booting one of my old versions of windows, but I have read that everything older than windows xp will not boot with more than 999mb of ram (system has 4 gb) and that if they are installed after I have already installed windows 7, they will seriously fubar the windows 7 installation (even if on a separate partition?) and I have some concerns that the system will be vulnerable to hacks and exploits unless physically disconnected from the net, which sounds like a pain.

    I tried Dosbox recently, and it failed to run my old windows 95 game "Final Liberation" complaining that it was an NT application or file or something to that effect. For it's part windows 7 compatibility mode complained that it was 16 bit and would not run.

    Would linux + wine on my unused partition space be a viable way to run my old 16 bit software?

  • #2
    try going through the folders and deleting some of the video files. The problem isn't with the game. try the XP fix after getting rid of the cutscenes.

    Options]
    MusicVol=100
    FX_Volume=127
    MV_Volume=127
    UseGrid=0
    DoVideo=0
    WatchAI=1
    AutoSave=1

    Into WordPad, Save it as a text-document(MS-DOS format), and just put it into the Final Liberation folder on your drive. You will have to set the configuration to run the game in Win95' compatibility and you will have to turn off all themes, 256 colors, etc.
    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Ben Kenobi
      try going through the folders and deleting some of the video files. The problem isn't with the game. try the XP fix after getting rid of the cutscenes.

      Options]
      MusicVol=100
      FX_Volume=127
      MV_Volume=127
      UseGrid=0
      DoVideo=0
      WatchAI=1
      AutoSave=1

      Into WordPad, Save it as a text-document(MS-DOS format), and just put it into the Final Liberation folder on your drive. You will have to set the configuration to run the game in Win95' compatibility and you will have to turn off all themes, 256 colors, etc.

      thanks! Those are good suggestions and follow what I did when I ran XP, but the problem seems to be that 64bit windows 7 can't run 16-bit software and windows 7 is apparently convinced that Final Liberation is a 16 bit game.

      Comment


      • #4
        Try installing wing32.dll in your system 32 folder.
        Last edited by Ben Kenobi; August 16, 2014, 20:20.
        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
        2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Ben Kenobi
          Try installing wing32.dll in your system 32 folder.
          I'm no expert, but won't windows need to boot into a 32 bit environment to handle the 16 bit code?

          Comment


          • #6
            I'm no expert, but won't windows need to boot into a 32 bit environment to handle the 16 bit code?
            I just got HOMM 2 which is from the exact same era and has the exact same DOS box issues to run natively under win7. win32.dll was all I needed.
            Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
            "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
            2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

            Comment


            • #7
              Is a win xp virtual machine out of the question?
              Indifference is Bliss

              Comment


              • #8
                the windows 7 version i have doesn't have xp virtual machine and even if it did, lots of my legacy software was buggy in xp as compared to 95 and 98 se.

                Comment


                • #9
                  There's also Win98se emulation, with either Virtual PC (only WinXP mode requires specific versions of Win7, Virtual PC itself is free to use, you just need to own the OS you want to virtualize) or VirtualBox.
                  Indifference is Bliss

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by N35t0r
                    There's also Win98se emulation, with either Virtual PC (only WinXP mode requires specific versions of Win7, Virtual PC itself is free to use, you just need to own the OS you want to virtualize) or VirtualBox.

                    I have my old windows version installation cds so I presume this is the option that would have been the best for me. I hope it wouldn't require installing all of the OS and patches from scratch off of the CDs in some sort of simulated environment as I think that would be a nasty headache.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Update:

                      I went ahead with Linux Mint plus Wine as the solution to try and ultimately it worked perfectly. Final Liberation worked even better than when I purchased it originally. I learned a lot about Linux in the process as well.

                      For one thing, the problem with so many distros and versions of linux and wine over the years is that troubleshooting with up to date information gleaned from the web is almost impossible. I ultimately had to rely on brute force nearly random tinkering.

                      For the record, Final liberation works flawlessly on Wine if you install it using the PlayonLinux frontend for Wine and select the 1.7.24 version with win98 emulation to install off of CD, then choose to install direct-x off of the CD during installation, then use PlayonLinux to switch the Wine version to 1.7.13 then DL the final liberation game patch v 1.01 and select the option to run the patch from the misc tab of the configure screen for the final liberation install in PlayonLinux and finally run the patched to 1.01 version of final liberation with the new settings for PlayonLinux. It never worked completely in XP (had to disable movies), but it worked under wine in linux with all that tinkering.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Geronimo
                        For the record, Final liberation works flawlessly on Wine if you install it using the PlayonLinux frontend for Wine and select the 1.7.24 version with win98 emulation to install off of CD, then choose to install direct-x off of the CD during installation, then use PlayonLinux to switch the Wine version to 1.7.13 then DL the final liberation game patch v 1.01 and select the option to run the patch from the misc tab of the configure screen for the final liberation install in PlayonLinux and finally run the patched to 1.01 version of final liberation with the new settings for PlayonLinux. It never worked completely in XP (had to disable movies), but it worked under wine in linux with all that tinkering.
                        Have you considered giving a feedback to the Wine team? Just a thought.
                        (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                        (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Geronimo
                          I'm no expert, but won't windows need to boot into a 32 bit environment to handle the 16 bit code?
                          He could try installing DOS Box and running it inside the box.
                          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            He could try installing DOS Box and running it inside the box
                            Dos Box works with DOS games, not the first gen win 3.1 stuff from like, HOMM2 era. If it requires a CD - chances are DOS box won't run it properly.

                            Also, read the fricken thread, Dinner.
                            Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                            "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                            2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X