A Cheap, Gaming Desktop PC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Cheap, Gaming Desktop PC

Soo... I took some advantage of the Steam sale (not with the most graphically or processor intensive games), though I realize my laptop just isn't going to like that. Even with Civ V, it runs well enough, but gets pretty hot while doing so. I am not inclined to make my own desktop at this point (I'll be fine to upgrade one, but not make one). Are there any fairly cheap, good makers of desktops (at least an i5, 6GB RAM, a decent video card)?
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Imran: Try using MSI Afterburner with your laptop. It's a gfx card utility. You can set a custom gfx fan profile that will kick in at lower temps. The downside is: your fan might be louder while you play games. But it will keep your card a little cooler and extend its life.
    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Well, the other issue is my laptop is Samsung Series 9 - so it's not all that great graphically I don't think to begin with. Intel Integrated Graphics 4000 or something.
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

I heard from another forum that the Digital Storm's Vanquish II is a really great pre-built machine.

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
          Well, the other issue is my laptop is Samsung Series 9 - so it's not all that great graphically I don't think to begin with. Intel Integrated Graphics 4000 or something.
          Gotcha.

I heard from another forum that the Digital Storm's Vanquish II is a really great pre-built machine.

I've never heard of it. Post specs and stuff if you get close to a purchase.
          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

The $779 version is:

- NVIDIA GTX 750 Ti 2GB
            - Intel Core i3 4350 CPU
            - 8GB 1600MHz Memory
            - 1TB 7200RPM HDD
            - ASUS H81 Chipset Motherboard
            - 430W Corsair CX Power Supply
            - DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW
            - Microsoft Windows 8.1

Free 3 year warranty is attached to it.

Comment

- Microsoft Windows 8.1
              Booo

Although with every update to 8, they seem to be trying to make it more like 7.

With any luck, more and more games will be playable in Linux, and we can all pretend like Windows 8 never happened.
              Do not take anything I say seriously. It's just the Internet. It's not real life.

Comment

I refuse to get a Win7 computer. If it doesn't have Win8.1, I don't want it.

Anyways, I saw this one from Acer on Amazon - though likely the parts they don't list are cheap crap:
                Intel Core i5-4440 Processor 3.1 GHz(6 MB cache)
                8 GB DDR3 RAM
                1 TB 7200 rpm Hard Drive
                NVIDIA GeForce GTX745 Graphics with 4GB of Discrete Video Memory
                Windows 8.1

For $750 (I dunno about the power supply, but I read some sites say it was close to 500? If so, this is in the lead, I think)

Comment

I haven't been keeping up with PCs for the past few years. Will be buying one later this year probably.
                  "tout comprendre, c'est tout pardonner"

Comment

Almost shudder to say the name, but Dell's XPS 8700 looks not bad and upgradable:

XPS 8700
                    Operating System: Windows 8.1 (64Bit) English
                    Memory: 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 1600MHz - 2 DIMMs
                    Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 720 1GB DDR3
                    Hard Drive: 1TB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drive 6.0 Gb/s
                    CD ROM/DVD ROM : 16X CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW), write to CD/DVD
                    Sound Card: Integrated 7.1 with WAVE MAXXAudio 4
                    Processor: 4th Generation Intel® Core™ i5-4460 Processor (6M Cache, up to 3.4 GHz)

With discounts and all, it came to $650

Comment

I'm waiting until they move on from windows 8
                      Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Almost shudder to say the name, but Dell's XPS 8700 looks not bad and upgradable:

XPS 8700
                        Operating System: Windows 8.1 (64Bit) English
                        Memory: 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 1600MHz - 2 DIMMs
                        Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 720 1GB DDR3
                        Hard Drive: 1TB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drive 6.0 Gb/s
                        CD ROM/DVD ROM : 16X CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW), write to CD/DVD
                        Sound Card: Integrated 7.1 with WAVE MAXXAudio 4
                        Processor: 4th Generation Intel® Core™ i5-4460 Processor (6M Cache, up to 3.4 GHz)

With discounts and all, it came to $650
                        If this is for gaming, go with 16gb ram. 6-8gb is the new minimum.
                        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

I refuse to get a Win7 computer. If it doesn't have Win8.1, I don't want it.
                          Wait, what?

Oh you got me. Good troll.
                          Do not take anything I say seriously. It's just the Internet. It's not real life.

Comment

Originally posted by Sava
                            If this is for gaming, go with 16gb ram. 6-8gb is the new minimum.
                            Dell, in its infinite wisdom, decided that the 8GB is non upgradeable on purchase. I can also put an extra 8GBs in later, of course.

Comment

Dell, in its infinite wisdom, decided that the 8GB is non upgradeable on purchase. I can also put an extra 8GBs in later, of course.
                              wtf? that's stupid

Did you pull the trigger already?

Though, upgrading RAM is easy. But you'll need the same RAM in order to do it. You may end up buying 16gb of all new ram instead of just another 8.
                              Mismatched RAM doesn't play nice together.
                              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Working...
                              X