No announcement yet.

Considering a new PC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SSD will certainly improve the performance of the machine, likely the one thing you can do to improve the most other than replacing the whole thing.

I'm not current with the SSD lines; I had some success with OCZ, but go with a slightly older controller like an Agility3 or something that has been through the ringer and known to be reasonably stable - newer controllers have higher risk factors.
    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Samsungs are tops.
      No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

They'll **** you up the ass?
        Indifference is Bliss

Comment

I'll wait for Asher to confirm that.
          You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Samsung is a Korean company, not a Japanese company.
            <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
            I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

I am considering now getting a cMBP or Mini and moving it between work/home/Chicago, while I use my Air for highly mobile situations like meetings.

JM
              Jon Miller-
              I AM.CANADIAN
              GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

I am considering now getting a cMBP or Mini and moving it between work/home/Chicago, while I use my Air for highly mobile situations like meetings.

JM
                Jon Miller-
                I AM.CANADIAN
                GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

I've got 3 Samsung SSDs, they are all that you've heard including pricey.

No more hard drive chatter, fast boots.
                  We're sorry, the voices in my head are not available at this time. Please try back again soon.

Comment

I have an MBA2011, which is too slow/has too little space. I think that a mobile computer and office computer would be fine. I have projects which use GPUs and need some speed. However, I do have access to a shared HPC cluster, so while serious speed is nice it is by no means necessary. My total limits are that I should buy now or in Dec, and that I have probably 500-2000 now (lower better) and ~4000 in Dec. Anything that is large with a screen is not entirely ideal. Also, if I want a >21 inch screen I need to buy it.

My considerations:
                    MBA2013 --- Now
                    MP/iMac/Mini --- Dec
                    Mini/iMac --- Now
                    rMBP13 --- Dec
                    cMBP15 --- Now
                    ????? --- Dec
                    4. (I really don't like this one)
                    External HD --- Now
                    ???? --- Dec

Is there some other configuration that I am forgetting?

What would be best?

Honestly it seems to me that I can just take a cMBP15 over an iMac21 as better/more moveable/almost same price?

Jon
                    Jon Miller-
                    I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

Best single machine:

rMBP13

Best 'now':

MBA 2011
                      cMBP15

Best 'Dec':

MBA 2013
                      MP/iMac/MBP15

I think that means I should get the MBA 2013..

Jon
                      Last edited by Jon Miller; June 11, 2013, 12:14.
                      Jon Miller-
                      I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

Originally posted by Krill
                        Question: Is it worth buying an SSD if I decide not to build a new PC? I'm still running an old Q9550 that is over 5 years old and truth be told I'm perfectly happy with it's performance, it's enough for CV and the multitasking I do. And if it is worth buying an SSD, anyone got any opinions about which ones are worth buying?
                        Any SSD will improve the performance a lot, I still have q9950, on my second machine and updated to 128BM SSD two? years ago, it was a lovely boost.
                        Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
                        GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

Working...
                        X