Considering a new PC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Considering a new PC

So, it's that time of the building cycle again, Intel have just released the Haswell processor architecture to the filthy masses.

Anyone seen any price drops for the older architecture processors and motherboards yet? Or if not, what is the time frame for those drops occuring?
    You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

3 months or so I'd guess.
    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

i5 3570k is down $60 from a year ago. Depending on the retailer, it just dropped $20-30 in the last week.

from
      http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?...0K+%40+3.40GHz

Haswell doesn't really offer any increased performance to gamers and such. The chips are just slightly more efficient. Desktops don't really benefit from this as the power savings add up to minimal savings on your bill over time. It's more about increasing battery life for more mobile devices.

i5 3570k is still the best bang for buck choice out there.
      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

I also, but I am considering a macbook pro (I need a work machine, shouldn't use my macbook air for everything).

JM
        Jon Miller-
        I AM.CANADIAN
        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

If you already have a MBA, why would you want a MBP also? Seems excessive. MBA will do fine for a work machine. Either get a cheaper and more powerful desktop, or just use the one...
          <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
          I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

The MBA is my personal machine that I bought almost 2 years ago. It is my only machine, I don't have a work machine (or a game machine, but that isn't a priority).

It no longer has space on it for any games/etc (not that it played games well). It doesn't have space for the virtual machines/work related stuff I want either.

My current job has given me a little bit of money to do things like pay summer students, buy equipment (like a computer), and go to conferences/etc.

I would like to have a work computer so that I can free up space on my personal computer for personal things (and have space for all the work things I want).

I think that I will get a laptop because I travel a lot (at least 3 months a year, probably will be more like 4-5).

I intend to, with funding later in the year, purchase a large monitor to leave in my office and probably some additional harddrive space (but a lot of things I want just with me, I can't fit everything on my 128 GB HD).

I also have access to multiple clusters (although it is going to go down to 2... right now it is 4) so while some ability is desirable (running small calculations/etc), massive ability is not.

JM
            (Of course, honestly, I want to do both work and personal things on the same machine. It is just that personal machine can no longer do this.)
            Last edited by Jon Miller; June 4, 2013, 17:11.
            Jon Miller-
            I AM.CANADIAN
            GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

JM, what sort of budget do you have for various components? And would you like recommendations?

I'd love to help you out if you need/want it.
              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Well, laptop, light, OS X and at least 256 GB of HD space (preferably discrete GPU (I have GPU software projects), but not sure if this is reasonable).

If you know a good laptop that works with OS X but is not Apple, I am all ears. It needs wifi to work though.

JM
                Jon Miller-
                I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

Is apple really that evil? Or do you want an SSD? This laptop is just over a year old, and it came with a 640 GB HDD...
                  Indifference is Bliss

Comment

Well, I will probably buy an apple...

I do need proper receipt/etc if I am having work pay for it.

I forget, are you in Brazil?

JM
                    Jon Miller-
                    I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

Argentina

[Edit:]

This laptop was bought in the US though.

My point is that unless apple is particularly annoying (which could be possible), a new laptop is bound to have a larger HDD.
                      Indifference is Bliss

Comment

Ah, closer but I am flying to Brazil next month and not Argentina.

Still a long trip to get a used laptop and there is the problem of receipt.

JM
                        Jon Miller-
                        I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

I'm not parting with my laptop

Again, unless Apple is particularly nasty with its clients, a new laptop should have much more than 250 GB of HDD space.
                          Indifference is Bliss

Comment

Ah, I understand. I thought you wanted a new one.

Yes, the cMBP do have much more than 200 GB of HD space.

The rMBP and MBA do not, unless you pay a lot. They only have flash.

JM
                            Jon Miller-
                            I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

Question: Is it worth buying an SSD if I decide not to build a new PC? I'm still running an old Q9550 that is over 5 years old and truth be told I'm perfectly happy with it's performance, it's enough for CV and the multitasking I do. And if it is worth buying an SSD, anyone got any opinions about which ones are worth buying?
                              You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Working...
                              X