Loud noise coming from PSU fan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loud noise coming from PSU fan

It's kind of a tickling sound. Sounds ugly when I shut down the computer.

[edit] what a boring topic to post my 7000th post with.
    DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

If it's really the PSU fan ticking (and not the HDD, which is a common sign of impending HDD doom), then it means either:
    a) You have something stuck in the fan, like a grain of sand or a wire or something (presumably external?)
    b) Your fan is misaligned and the fan blade is hitting the grating or something else

Air duster can solve A) (plus a visual inspection). B) is harder to solve.
    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

It's definitely the PSU. On the bright side, it also seems like the fan is rotating at normal speed (couldn't discern individual blades) so I figure it isn't dying. Maybe I'll just bear with it and hope it goes away on its own.
      DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Air dust. If that doesn't solve it, I would guess the bearing is failing. Look for a new PSU. If the fan goes kaput, the PSU could overheat fast and potentially cause more expensive problems.
        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Definitely replace the PSU if you can't fix it; $50 is way cheaper than [new system].
          <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
          I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

I had another look I couldn't spot anything hitting the fan. It also seems be rotating normally, only rattling at it.

Comment

The bearing (in most cases it's just a bushing) in most case and psu fans isn't of the highest quality, and as soon as it's a little bit off, it causes vibrations in the fan. Usually, the fan will last in working order for a long time before it fails, (if you can stand the noise, that is) and sometimes it goes away on its own (not for long though).

You can change the fan if it's a particularly good PSU if you don't want to change it just yet, or take it apart and lubricate the bushing (use something heavier than WD-40 though).

In any case, an overheating (modern) PSU will very rarely damage your PC. Of course, you might not want to risk it for just a few dollars
              Indifference is Bliss

Comment

Well yeah, it's 650W PSU that cost me €90. Does noise typically fall under warranty?

Comment

I live in the third world, what is this 'warranty' thing you speak of? Check with the manufacturer, but it should, I think.
                  Indifference is Bliss

Comment

I was going to point out that he had put this in a wrong section, but that was when I was thinking he was talking about a complaining Penn State fan.
                    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

"Yeah that Belgian dude, he's pretty likely to get bothered by loud PSU fans"

Comment

They can be a bit obnoxious
                        Indifference is Bliss

Comment

NCAA is dead to me!!!

Bastards.

Ohh and screw all of you!!!
                          "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Working...
                          X