Can't get USB3 speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't get USB3 speed

I have a mobo that's supposedly usb3 capable, I have the required driver installed, I have an external hd that's supposedly usb3 capable as well, yet I'm stuck at ~50MB/s which is a bit underwhelming. Is there something I am missing?
    Last edited by Colon™; May 8, 2013, 06:59.
    DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

I have the 2 blue usb 3 ports, but they don't show up in the device manager.
    DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

What mobo/hdd? Sometimes you have to connect something on the mobo to enable some of the USB ports.
      <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
      I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
        What mobo/hdd? Sometimes you have to connect something on the mobo to enable some of the USB ports.
        http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/M5A...specifications

2TB WD SATA 3.5" 5400 RPM
        Last edited by Colon™; May 8, 2013, 11:45.

Comment

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...scrollFullInfo ? I notice Asus has a USB3 and non-USB3 version; I wonder if there's some chance something's wrong with this specific board (like, they didn't include the USB3 controller). I'm a bit confused why they mention 3 USB2 controllers in the specs and no USB3, unless there are actuall 3 additional USB2 controllers beyond the 2 controllers for the back ports plus the 3.0 controller (usually that's included in the total).

Maybe try updating the Bios?

Comment

DanSed you. Yeah, it's that USB3 version. Checking BIOS.

Comment

You might see if toggling the xHCI-at-boot does anything, some people seem to report that causes/solves issues (both directions, oddly enough). It shouldn't, but who knows. Also, you might try different versions of the ASM1042 driver - some reports out there of problems with some of their driver versions.

Comment

Is there any USB software on the mobo driver disks that you need to install?

I have an ASRock board (a division of ASUS). It has a USB booster driver and util that needed to be installed for me to get the USB3 speeds. It's annoying. Every time I plug a mass storage device into the port, it runs the programs... which requires me to approve it through the UAC or whatever.
                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Why is USB3 so complicated? I don't remember having these issues with USB2 beyond the very very early stages...

Comment

No clue. I'm still wondering why I have all these ports (firewire, esata) when there apparently aren't devices that make use of them.
                    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Somewhat it's because of specialization; Firewire 800 is used by high-end video cameras and such (and pre-Thunderbolt was Apple's main fixation). eSATA I like a lot, and can certainly be used by most external HDDs out there - I like it because it's transparently SATA, so you don't have to worry about differences in how the protocols might function.

Comment

I updated BIOS and (re)installed every driver I could possibly find on the page for my mobo on the ASUS website, including the USB3 driver. Still no indication of USB3 in the device manager.

There's utility on the ASUS site that goes by the description: "ASMedia USB 3.0 Driver V1.12.5.0" and which I can't install for some reason (the setup won't start up). So maybe that's the missing piece. I'm puzzled that it's listed under "utilities" though, despite being named a driver. To be clear, I did install Asmedia USB3.0 Controller Driver V1.14.3.0 from the "USB" section
                        Last edited by Colon™; May 8, 2013, 15:05.

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
                          eSATA I like a lot, and can certainly be used by most external HDDs out there
                          A quick browsing of Newegg reveals that of the 300+ external hard drives currently available for sale, maybe 25 can make use of eSATA.

most
                          I don't think this word means what you think it does.
                          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Sava
                            A quick browsing of Newegg reveals that of the 300+ external hard drives currently available for sale, maybe 25 can make use of eSATA.

I don't think this word means what you think it does.
                            Fair enough.

Comment

I once tried jamming a regular SATA cable into an eSATA port because I was too lazy to open up my case to test the HDD.
                              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Working...
                              X