Windows 7 or 8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Colon™
    Ah that's something to watch out for. Thanks for the heads up.

One thing Windows 7 gets a thumbs down for is that it doesn't save folder settings for individual folders. Very annoying for pictures since I was used to viewing the main folder in a list and subfolders in large icons. Now it's one way or the other.
    Not true at all. How are you trying to set the folder settings?
    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
      Not true at all. How are you trying to set the folder settings?
      If I go to the main folder and set that to view the files/folders as a list and then go to a subfolder I will be viewing files/folders as a list there as well. If I then set to view them as large icons in the subfolder and then go back to the main folder the view will also have been changed to large icons. It's simply what I'm observing and I haven't found anything in the folder options to change this.
      DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Win7 makes Program Files require admin privileges to write to, IIRC. If you 'run as administrator' your old game it might permit it to write permanently there. Not a good idea, still, but possible.
        I tried that even before I discovered this. Played Civ IV for a day, saved and loaded several times during that time, no problems. Shut down and went to bed. Started back up next day, saves all gone.
        No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Civ 4 should have no problem with Win7... it saved things by default in my games inside my documents or something like that. I'm very confused by your problem there.

Comment

If I go to the main folder and set that to view the files/folders as a list and then go to a subfolder I will be viewing files/folders as a list there as well. If I then set to view them as large icons in the subfolder and then go back to the main folder the view will also have been changed to large icons. It's simply what I'm observing and I haven't found anything in the folder options to change this.
            You're not answering my question What are you calling "setting folder options"? That may be the issue. Windows 7 has a slightly different approach.

For example, I go to a folder that has subfolders, say My Documents. Right click in the folder window, select "Customize This Folder" (or Properties, then select Customize tab). Then you have "What kind of folder do you want?" up top, select "Pictures" or whatever. It has a checkbox to apply to subfolders, but it's by default unchecked (at least here). If you don't select it, it won't apply to subfolders.

Comment

You're not answering my question
              I thought I did. That's the issue I'm talking about. Setting the main folder to for instance view as list automatically sets the subfolder to view list as well and vice versa. The checkbox apply to subfolders is unchecked.
              DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk
                I tried that even before I discovered this. Played Civ IV for a day, saved and loaded several times during that time, no problems. Shut down and went to bed. Started back up next day, saves all gone.
                I once had this issue as well on Vista. I've been saving Civ4 games to another folder ever since and it never happened again.

Re older games placing the save games in game folder in program files, perhaps an easy solution would be to install those games outside program files, for instance in an 'old games' folder directly on C:.

Comment

I thought I did. That's the issue I'm talking about. Setting the main folder to for instance view as list automatically sets the subfolder to view list as well and vice versa. The checkbox apply to subfolders is unchecked.
                  I was trying to get to what control you were using. You're describing two different controls at once here, which is probably your problem.

"View as List" (in the dropdown in the upper right corner near the help button) is an explorer control, not a folder-specific one. It does save the last choice made in that folder, but it's not really saving the folder's viewing preferences. That's why it seems to persist up or down the hierarchy.

I'm talking about "Customizer this folder", which is totally different, and absolutely does work the way it should.

Steps:

1. Create folder "c:\Colon", and open it.
                  2. Create folder "ColonSubfolder".
                  3. Place some image files in each folder. If you navigate out of it, and back in, it will probably default to customized for pictures for both folders. Right-click in Colon, change that to "Documents", don't check, apply. Now you'll see regular icons instead of thumbnails.
                  4. Navigate to ColonSubFolder. Go to Customize, check that it is indeed on Picture, and hit ok. Should still be picture thumbnails. Go back up to Colon, and change the view (not customize) to "List" or "Details" (from whatever it was before). Go back to ColonSubfolder. Should still be viewable as thumbnails.

That's how it works on my machine. Not sure what you're seeing, if it's different from that then you have a setting wrong somewhere and I haven't a clue where, as mine is set up default.

Comment

Thanks for giving a guideline, but that's a horribly roundabout way of going about it. Anyhow, I found that when I don't go through the libraries I can view the folders in the settings I left them.

Comment

What's horribly roundabout about it? "View as..." controls your normal browsing, and for folders that are specialized you use "Customize Folder". Seems inherently reasonable to me. The libraries are probably forcing the view to something by default ("Documents" for My Documents, etc.)

Comment

Working...
                      X