Windows 7 or 8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 7 or 8

For desktop computer. I have bunch of old software (mostly games) I want to be able to run it.
    76.92%
    7.69%
    banana
    15.38%
    DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Beware!!!

If you plan on using Microsoft Virtual Machine in XP Mode to do this, plan something else. XP Mode does NOT support Active-X, has retarded as that may sound.

That's where I am right now.

I'm looking into DOSBox, and also buying some old OS that I can install on MVMs.
    No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

I didn't mean DOS-era old, rather turn of the millenium old. Anyhow, I ordered Windows 7.

DOSBox worked nicely on Vista.
      DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Neither do I. Active-X isn't DOS.

Comment

Alright, I'm not sure what Active-X is about but I can't recall I ever needed the XP compability mode.

Comment

Sorry, not ActiveX, it's DIRECTX, which is very important for gaming.

Comment

Ahhhh

Yes, that is retarded.

Comment

Microsoft Virtual Machine in XP Mode != Compatibility mode, I assume you know? MVM isn't even supposed to be supported in Home editions, IIRC.
                <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Win8 is fail. Avoid like the plague.
                  To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
                    Microsoft Virtual Machine in XP Mode != Compatibility mode, I assume you know? MVM isn't even supposed to be supported in Home editions, IIRC.
                    I have yet to see a game where compatibility mode worked for me. Either it works without issues, or no amount of fiddling helps.

Comment

Compatibility mode works for me with SMAC
                      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

What games are you trying to get run on it? I have packages that work for stuff like running the original fallout natively, Pirates! natively - I managed with DosBox to get everything to run natively (and correctly) on Win 7. Usually it's a matter of finding certain .dlls that aren't usually included in Win7. Even HOMM2 runs natively and well.
                        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                        2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

I can't seem to run Panzer General 3D correctly. It hangs randomly :-/
                          Indifference is Bliss

Comment

Check yer PMs.

Seems to be a patch for it. Dunno if that's what you're looking for.
                            Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                            "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                            2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Well, after changing the directory, setting the compatibility controls to XPsp2 and run as admin on setup.exe and running it from explorer instead of the autorun, fiddling with compatibility on the game itself, and sprinkling the blood of a chicken slain at midnight on the screen, I have finally gotten to the point where CivIII Complete manages to trigger the appcrash screen before dying, as opposed to just dying.

Comment

Working...
                              X