Recommend me a NAS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by loinburger
    I'm not Asher, but my setup is probably a lot closer to what your hypothetical setup would be than what Asher's is. I've got 4TB of storage, used for music movies and backups, I haven't noticed an impact to my power bill which averages between $25 and $30 per month (however I had an external hard drive that I moved to my safe deposit box when I got the NAS which probably consumed close to the same amount of electricity as the NAS). Prior to this I had a netbook hooked up to a couple of external hard drives, and I prefer the NAS because it consolidates the hard drives in one place and because it's a lot easier to detach the netbook when I want to use it (I have a heavy 17" laptop that isn't convenient when I'm traveling or going to the library or whatever). If you have a desktop or a laptop that you don't need to be portable, and you don't have more storage requirements than exceeds one or two external hard drives, then I don't think there's too much advantage to a NAS over a networked PC. However, a good NAS might also be advantageous if you're mixing Microsoft and Apple products (e.g. if you have an Ipad) or something like that, but I don't know this for certain since I don't have any Apple products.
    Thanks

I'm leaning towards NAS.

I ask about power because lately the usage has been high. I suspect it may be my video cards. Now I've got two systems with 750w power supplies each... and another one that's going to have a 500w psu.

My total storage reqs now is around 4-5TB across 3 internal drives (not counting installed games on the ssd's). I've also got an external that I occasionally use.

I'd really like to consolidate everything into one machine. I upgrade a lot and reinstall OS about once a year. Also, backing up my Steam files is something I did this last time. That's about 200-250GB. It's a lot easier to do that than to download everything again after a fresh format.

There's one Apple product in the house (ipad) and maybe half my friends have iphones. I think there's only one Apple laptop that comes around. Everything else is MS.
    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

The data sheet for the QNAP NAS says that the 4-bay NAS has an operational power consumption of 30W, using a 96W power supply; the 2-bay NAS consumes 20W on a 60W power supply. This is probably typical of the other manufacturers.

You could probably make do with twin 3TB drives using a 2-bay NAS, but if you're already at 4-5TB and you can afford it then it would be a good idea to get a 4-bay NAS.
      Last edited by loinburger; March 3, 2013, 14:38.
      <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures :( :( :(</p>

Comment

That's a helluva lot better on power usage than a dedicated PC.

Thanks for the info
        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Just ordered Qnap... didn't order HDs yet, still undecided. It says it supports SATA II, but the page you posted says it suports SATA III as well. Naturally I want SATA III. What are your weapons of choice? I'm now thinking two 4 TB drives...

I feel happy about the decision so far.
          In da butt.
          "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
          THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
          "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

I have two 2TB SATA II drives in mine - I considered getting SATA III, but my network is the bottleneck, not the drives. I don't know much about hard drives in terms of which brands to get, I just get whatever drives are medium-priced relative to the other drives with same size and speed. You might want to PM Asher or wait for him to post in this thread again to decide which drives to get.

Edit: My hard drives are Hitachi
            Last edited by loinburger; March 3, 2013, 17:21.

Comment

Originally posted by Sava
              Asher, how much total storage do you have there?
              Total usable is 16TB or thereabouts. 1 disk redundancy in both. If you include the whole-home PVR, 18TB.

What do you use this for?
              Music, movies, TV shows, system backups.

What's the damage to the power bill?
              Negligible. Drobo FS uses 12W idle (99% of the time), 56W under heavy load (all 5 disks active).
              My Synology uses 9W in idle, 28W under heavy load (all 4 3TB disks).

Would you recommend dedicated NAS over a seperate PC with shared storage?
              For my uses, yes. The NAS is always available on the network and doesn't degrade when you use the PC. But I use it to stream things to 3 different computers, 4 wireless devices, and 3 smart TVs. Centralized NAS just made sense.
              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
              Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by loinburger
                I have two 2TB SATA II drives in mine - I considered getting SATA III, but my network is the bottleneck, not the drives. I don't know much about hard drives in terms of which brands to get, I just get whatever drives are medium-priced relative to the other drives with same size and speed. You might want to PM Asher or wait for him to post in this thread again to decide which drives to get.

Edit: My hard drives are Hitachi
                I'd get WD Red drives (NAS optimized). Slight premium, though.

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/2092/1/
                "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

So... it's up and running It was really easy to set up and works really well. Now backing up all kinds of stuff... definitely a relief. I love it
                  In da butt.
                  "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                  THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                  "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

I recommend that you configure it to blacklist an IP after a few failed login attempts - since I've bought mine I've blacklisted about 40 IPs from random schmucks trying to login.

Comment

Working...
                    X