Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommend me a NAS

My requirements:

Something that backs up our family's stuff.
    We have PCs, Macs... tablets and phones.
    I want to use it to stream media (movies, tv shows, possibly music) as well.
    It should be as quiet as possible.
    I might want to use it for bittorrent purposes (downloading Linux images).
    I would need to have at least 2 slots, RAID 0 and 1.

My price range is under 600, excluding actual HDs.
    In da butt.
    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
    THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
    "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

i dont listen to hip hop
    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

I have a Qnap TS-219PII-US which has two hard drive bays, there's also a TS-419PII-US with four hard drive bays. I think they meet all of your requirements (I don't think it does Raid 10, but it does Raid 1 and there's not much advantage to Raid 10). The 2-bay NAS costs $300 on Amazon, the 4-bay NAS costs $500.

Instead of getting a Raid-1 setup, you may want to get a JBOD setup and back up to external hard drives - Raid-1 protects you against a single disk failure, but doesn't protect you against fire or theft. I keep my external hard drives in a safe deposit box and sync them once a month or so. Qnap has a one-bay NAS if you decide to forego Raid-1 and that one bay is all you need.

Edit: The NAS doesn't come with an integrated wifi adapter (or at least it didn't when I bought it), but you can plug in a USB wifi adapter that costs around $20 or $30.
      Last edited by loinburger; February 28, 2013, 11:36.
      <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures :( :( :(</p>

Comment

Originally posted by loinburger
        I have a Qnap TS-219PII-US which has two hard drive bays, there's also a TS-419PII-US with four hard drive bays. I think they meet all of your requirements (I don't think it does Raid 10, but it does Raid 1 and there's not much advantage to Raid 10). The 2-bay NAS costs $300 on Amazon, the 4-bay NAS costs $500.

Instead of getting a Raid-1 setup, you may want to get a JBOD setup and back up to external hard drives - Raid-1 protects you against a single disk failure, but doesn't protect you against fire or theft. I keep my external hard drives in a safe deposit box and sync them once a month or so. Qnap has a one-bay NAS if you decide to forego Raid-1 and that one bay is all you need.

Edit: The NAS doesn't come with an integrated wifi adapter (or at least it didn't when I bought it), but you can plug in a USB wifi adapter that costs around $20 or $30.
        I've checked out the 2 bay one, it's fairly expensive in here... it's around 400 US dollars... with hard drives, it would set me back like 300 US dollars more, altogether 700 bucks. That could be acceptable, but how loud is this thing? This is what worries me the most. I do like this particular product the most and with recommendations I'm even more interested. But how loud is it?
        In da butt.
        "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius

Comment

It's fairly quiet, I have it in my office which is adjacent to my bedroom, and with my bedroom door open I can't hear it. I'll take a video of it tonight to help you get an idea of its noise level.

Comment

I'm buying a Synology DiskStation DS413j today with 4x3TB WD Red drives.
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
            Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Here's the NAS making noise

Last edited by loinburger; February 28, 2013, 22:18.

Comment

Ohh that's pretty good! Not too loud. Expected much worse.

Asher, let me know how you've liked yours... I'm still undecided.
                In da butt.

Comment

Oh now I just realized you made the video for this purpose, thank you very much Very cool.
                  In da butt.

Comment

No problem, it only took two takes (my stomach kept growling during the first one)

Comment

I think it's great.

Synology's software is amazing. I put Plex server on it with the click of a button. It's fast and quiet, too.
                      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Here it is in my "server room".

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                          Here it is in my "server room".

That's a really nice set up you've got there!

I'm building a house so my man cave will be fairly geeky, a sort of a lab thing going on there... so NAS will be only one thing I'll be doing there. Eventually, I want to have resources to build a network in which I'll be able to simulate attacks on different platforms, etc. NAS has nothing to do with that, though.
                          In da butt.

Comment

Asher, how much total storage do you have there?
                            What do you use this for?
                            What's the damage to the power bill?
                            Would you recommend dedicated NAS over a seperate PC with shared storage?
                            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

I'm not Asher, but my setup is probably a lot closer to what your hypothetical setup would be than what Asher's is. I've got 4TB of storage, used for music movies and backups, I haven't noticed an impact to my power bill which averages between $25 and $30 per month (however I had an external hard drive that I moved to my safe deposit box when I got the NAS which probably consumed close to the same amount of electricity as the NAS). Prior to this I had a netbook hooked up to a couple of external hard drives, and I prefer the NAS because it consolidates the hard drives in one place and because it's a lot easier to detach the netbook when I want to use it (I have a heavy 17" laptop that isn't convenient when I'm traveling or going to the library or whatever). If you have a desktop or a laptop that you don't need to be portable, and you don't have more storage requirements than exceeds one or two external hard drives, then I don't think there's too much advantage to a NAS over a networked PC. However, a good NAS might also be advantageous if you're mixing Microsoft and Apple products (e.g. if you have an Ipad) or something like that, but I don't know this for certain since I don't have any Apple products.

Comment

Working...
                              X