It's Desktop Building Season Again!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's Desktop Building Season Again!

What's good in CPUs and motherboards this year? Top of the line is usually easy to pick out, but I'm also interested in midrange and sweet spot. I'm aiming at a gaming box that can work for video editing, proven techs, and probably not overclocked.

Come to think of it, how are video cards this year?
    No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Any opinions on Asus motherboards?

Comment

Asus is a pretty decent brand, IMO.
      <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
      I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

if you still need info, i have some info to contribute. I recently built a new machine.

Asus is good. The best sweet spot gaming CPU right now is probably intel's i5 3570k. Also, look at ASrock... a division of Asus but more geared toward gaming. But it's six and one half dozen of the other, for the most part. It's always a crapshoot if you get DOA parts.

Z77 mobos are the current model for such processors... most are comparable in price, reliability and quality. I'd look more at specific features you want like number of 6.0 gb/s sata connections, usb 3.0, number of expansion slots... or if a specific board has a great price from a certain vendor

nvidia 660ti or amd 7970 is in the sweet spot right now... 249-300ish
        I think amd just dropped the 7970 to 249 in order to compete with the 660ti's lower price.
        You could go with nvidia 670, but its usually 50 bucks more than 660ti with marginal improved performance
        go with 2gb versions of whatever card unless you see 2+gb for a good price
        that should last you for years
        you can always add another later, but two cards can present with micro-stuttering and bugs in some games.
        I'd really only get two cards if you plan on using more than 3 monitors.

4gb ram is good. DDR3 1600... ram isn't expensive now, but anything more than 4gb or 1600 doesn't offer much in the way of performance
        Get a SSD. Drives are the bottleneck for loading times right now. HDD for storage, SSD for windows and games

I would recommend PCpartpicker.com
        It has an easy to use interface that lets you price a full system. It also detects compatibilities. If you go with a mini-itx board, be sure the footprint of your cpu cooler won't block access to the pci express

You probably don't need to xfire or SLI with two graphics cards unless you really want to put your specs in the signature line on forums and seem cool.

I've got a system with dual 6950's that gets better framerates than a comparable system i have with a 660ti. But the crossfired system gets a lot of micro-stuttering in many popular titles.

a system with the components i listed will probably run about $2000 max if you buy absolutely every component necessary

you should be able to play any game at max settings... just not outrage anti-aliasing... depending on the shaders
        a minecraft install modded with optifine and all setting maxed out will lag even the ridiculous $5000 builds

Let me know what you get. I love seeing the systems people build!

oh, and if you really want to be a baller, get either the Dell or HP 30 inch monitors. they run at 2560x1600 native resolution

you will want to make love to them
        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

correction... 660ti should be compared to amd 7950... nvidia 680 is the matchup with 7970
          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Do people still make desktops?
            “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
            "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

yes we like our computers fast
              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

how's a dell inspirion or gateway i3 or i5

i dont know squat about this stuff but my pc is about kaput

does built in wifi mean I dont need to be hardwired to the router?

win 7 or 8 ?
                Last edited by Berzerker; February 14, 2013, 21:13.

Comment

gateway is still alive? i thought they died years ago
                  To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

damn pc is so slow

Comment

Thanks, Sava, I haven't bought anything but the case so far, and the case is delayed so I'm sitting here hoping to see prices drop some more. What's with the HD graphics on the Intel chip? I see that ivy bridge has it but sandy bridge doesn't. Does it help with anything if you intend to use a card? Thanks!

PS Xoxide is starting to annoy me. I ordered that damn case in December.

Comment

Sure np. Glad I can offer some help as opposed to mindless trolling

The HD graphics on the ivybridge is just fancier integrated gfx... so basically useless if you are using a card.

What kind of case did you get? The model and whatnot...

AMD recently came out with a 7870 card around $200-249 that competes well with cards in the $249-300 range.

http://www.pcgamer.com/review/club3d...ercard-review/

Their 8000 series is coming out late in 2013. There's going to be a few sales and price drops... probably a few improved versions of existing models. It's a pretty good time to be building a PC. There are great options no matter what kind of brands you prefer. Most mid-range to high-end hardware can run current games at max or near max settings.

What kind of monitor and resolution will you be running?
                        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Berzerker
                          how's a dell inspirion or gateway i3 or i5

i dont know squat about this stuff but my pc is about kaput

does built in wifi mean I dont need to be hardwired to the router?

win 7 or 8 ?
                          I doubt it matters 7 vs 8. 8 will mean some learning curve, but is faster; you can just get StarDock's start menu addon if you want.

You don't want to use WiFi for a desktop. WiFi is probably never going to be suffiiciently reliable for consistent online gaming; it's much slower than hardwired and is subject to picky router issues. Unless you're buying a laptop, you don't want to use it, and even on a laptop wired is better for gaming. (That said, having it available isn't a bad thing; just don't use it as your primary connection.)

Dell desktops are passable. iBuyPower is a good site for more gaming-focused computers, IMO. Try to get one from someone who won't fill it with bloatware, at least. And you might consider going into a local computer shop - not only get a better machine, and perhaps better money, but help out the local economy
                          <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                          I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

thanks Snoopy, I just paid a visit to a local shop - they wanted ~$650 (+50 for wifi card) for a 3rd generation I3 whatever that is

seems a bit steep for my purposes

I just noticed the pc I got now is an asus, I think thats what they had in that shop.

Comment

I've been advised that 7 is OK, but 8 sucks.
                              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Working...
                              X