RAM advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RAM advice

Today one of my two RAM sticks died, and it's time to upgrade.
    I'm going to buy i5-3750K and either ASUS P8Z77-V PRO or ASUS P8Z77-V as a mobo. But I have no clue what kind of RAM to buy. I'm planning to buy a set of 4 4GB sticks, but what other parameters should I be looking out for? CAS latency or frequency?
    Graffiti in a public toilet
    Do not require skill or wit
    Among the **** we all are poets
    Among the poets we are ****.

Oh, and another question? What kind of SSD should I buy to install Win7 on it without any hassle? PCI-E or SATA?

Comment

Originally posted by onodera View Post
      I'm going to buy i5-3750K and either ASUS P8Z77-V PRO or ASUS P8Z77-V as a mobo. But I have no clue what kind of RAM to buy. I'm planning to buy a set of 4 4GB sticks, but what other parameters should I be looking out for? CAS latency or frequency?
      Honestly, CAS is so trivial these days it's not worth the risk and issues.

Your board theoretically supports up to 2600 RAM. I've had issues in the past with such high overclocked memory, even if the board supports it. I'd probably try one in the 2200-2400 range -- or more importantly, see if somebody has already got such RAM on that motherboard so you know it actually works.

For SSD, get SATA.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Any specific SSD you can recommend? I am a little wary after reading all the stories about unplugging all other drives, feeding the setup the correct driver, fiddling around with the BIOS settings and so on.

Comment

I've an OCZ Agility 3 without issues. I think the 4 just came out.
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Ordered CORSAIR CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9(XMP) 16GB ( 4x 4GB ) as it was the only one on the QVL for this mobo, the CPU, the mobo, an OCZ Agility 3 120GB SSD and a tube of thermal paste.
            Let's hope my PC will boot up tomorrow.

Comment

I bought everything today, but realized only now that my ten year old 2.5 to 3.5 rack adapter had been made by some Chinese kid high on opium and has the holes on the 3.5 side at the wrong places. I could've bought a better one together with all my other stuff. Now I have to go there again, because their delivery costs as much as this shitty piece of plastic does itself.

Comment

Did you say you were going to drill some holes?
                We're sorry, the voices in my head are not available at this time. Please try back again soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Spaced Cowboy
                  Did you say you were going to drill some holes?
                  Yes, since my wife's off the rag.
                  Seriously, though, my PC is assembled and can finally run CiV with everything maxed out without a hitch. It's still worse than 4, though.

Comment

No arguments there.
                    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by onodera View Post
                      Why did they died? can you erase the bronze part of them using eraser?

Comment

Working...
                      X