2048x1536

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2048x1536

...is the rumoured display resolution of the next iPad. Even with Jobs dead Apple still knows how to ****ing upstage everyone. And I was getting excited about the new Asus tablet with 1920x1200.
    Graffiti in a public toilet
    Do not require skill or wit
    Among the **** we all are poets
    Among the poets we are ****.

Originally posted by onodera View Post
    ...is the rumoured display resolution of the next iPad. Even with Jobs dead Apple still knows how to ****ing upstage everyone. And I was getting excited about the new Asus tablet with 1920x1200.
    Except for the different aspect ratio, I don't think there will be any practical difference between a 1920x1200 display and the 2048x1536. On both displays the pixels should be too small to see.
    VANGUARD

Comment

I like 4:3, to be honest. No idea why all Android tablets are widesreen.
      Graffiti in a public toilet
      Do not require skill or wit
      Among the **** we all are poets
      Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

Originally posted by onodera
        Agree. And once the iPad can play 1080p, the widescreen tablets will be even more pointless.
        VANGUARD

Comment

Originally posted by onodera
          I much prefer the widescreen aspect ratio. It plays HD videos without black bars, so it's effectively a much larger display.

It also works better to read long text (less scrolling). Websites are designed with a fixed width, but vertically scrollable. 4:3 actually makes very little sense at high resolutions.
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
            I much prefer the widescreen aspect ratio. It plays HD videos without black bars, so it's effectively a much larger display.

It also works better to read long text (less scrolling). Websites are designed with a fixed width, but vertically scrollable. 4:3 actually makes very little sense at high resolutions.
            I can't agree that it works better for long text. The lines are too short, especially for websites.

However, I have to admit that for a 7" tablet, widescreen works better. With a smaller tablet you do almost everything in landscape orientation anyway, so you get the same screen width as a larger tablet (in portrait) but with much less weight and bulk. When I tried out a Playbook and a Fire, I found that less weight and bulk was a much nicer feature than I expected it to be.

But not nice enough to prefer them to a 'retina' display.
            VANGUARD

Comment

Originally posted by Vanguard
              I can't agree that it works better for long text. The lines are too short, especially for websites.
              I'm sorry -- 1080/1200 pixels isn't enough?
              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

I'm sorry -- 1080/1200 pixels isn't enough?
                It doesn't really matter how many pixels you have. The text still has to be large enough to read. And when you make it large enough to read comfortably, the lines are too short.

YMMV, of course. But would you use your 22" wide screen monitor in portrait mode? Of course not. It would just look stupid.
                VANGUARD

Comment

I use a 23" monitor (1080p) in portrait mode daily at work. It fits tons more code on the screen without scrolling. It's amazing.

At home I use a 23" monitor (1080p) in landscape mode for gaming. No one uses 4:3 monitors at home or at work for a reason.

Comment

There's also a rumor that the next round of Mac laptops will have "retina" level resolutions.

How will a tablet or laptop GPU handle this?
                    In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

I use a 23" monitor (1080p) in portrait mode daily at work. It fits tons more code on the screen without scrolling. It's amazing.

At home I use a 23" monitor (1080p) in landscape mode for gaming. No one uses 4:3 monitors at home or at work for a reason.
                      I prefer being able to put two windows of code side by side. I like to keep my program on the left and the spec on the right. I find that if I don't have the spec right in front of me, I forget to include stuff.
                      If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                      :(){ :|:& };:

Comment

thats why you have 3 monitors.
                        Last edited by Asher; February 21, 2012, 11:30.

Comment

Coding, admittedly, is a possible exception. Personally I prefer two windows, but I suppose if you were writing really long functions for some reason, you might prefer a vertical screen.

Very few people however use their tablets for coding. For reading a 4:3 orientation works best.
                          VANGUARD

Comment

Coding is reading. It's providing context while consuming data.

I much prefer 16:9. My iPhone was 4:3 and my Galaxy Nexus is 16:9 and I can't tell you how much easier it is to read forums and news sites on the Galaxy Nexus.

Comment

Coding is reading. It's providing context while consuming data.

I much prefer 16:9. My iPhone was 4:3 and my Galaxy Nexus is 16:9 and I can't tell you how much easier it is to read forums and news sites on the Galaxy Nexus.
                              Well, you're strange.

Humans prefer 4:3.
                              VANGUARD

Comment

Working...
                              X