Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HP killing WebOS, getting out of Hardware?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HP killing WebOS, getting out of Hardware?

I'm sure some of you saw that HP is killing the WebOs hardware after less than 2 months of pushing out their Touchpad Tablet. I also noticed that HP might be getting out of the computer manufacturing business altogather, whcih surprises me.

At one point I was seriously considering getting a Touchpad, and indeed I may still end up getting one for shiggles, but I'm a little shocked that HP is moving so quickly to drop the product. The whole thing reeks of panic. What's even more bizarre is HP maybe getting out of computer manufacturing. I know it's a low profit margin product, but HP is a successful company built on computer manufacturing. WTF is going on over there?

#Asher
    Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Consumer PCs are thin-margined low-growth commodities. It's a drag on their growth numbers. Spinning it off makes sense.

The TouchPad was a disaster. No apps, slow, late to the party. Best Buy bought 275K and could only sell 10k, even after discounting. It was DOA. Made sense to cut their losses.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Any word if they will stay in the personal printer business? It's of major importance for my work, as I'm in the paper industry and HP is one of the largest producers of the machinery that consume the paper my company makes.

But my contacts at HP are saying they are pushing as hard as they can to spread printing apps for tablet PCs and smart phones.
      So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
      Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

No word on that, that I've heard anyway.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

HP is selling the Touchpad for drastically reduced prices if you have an academic/corporate account. The Internets informed me that you could call HP directly, claim that you are a small business, and get the slashed prices that way. Just for shiggles, I did. That $99 Touchpad is probably just going to sit in my corner, but whatever. I'll tell you all how it turns out.
          Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

I could get one for my girlfriend maybe?

I looked on amazon and they say unavailable.

JM
            Jon Miller-
            I AM.CANADIAN
            GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

I think the $99 16GB ones are pretty much all gone. $149 32GB ones are still floating around.

Comment

Showed up today. Some initial thoughts:

I'm really enjoying the "card" system for the OS. The entire environment also feels a lot less "Beta" than the Xoom did when it came out. The Kindle app is most of the way there, but sadly doesn't include newspaper subscriptions. It was much easier to set up my corporate exchange account on this thing then it was with my Xoom, perhaps reflecting WebOS "This was once a competitor to WinMo and RIM" heritage in the enterprise sector.

Did I mention I enjoy the card system?

It's heavier than an iPad, but it doesn't feel heavier than my Xoom. Despite being "a hunk of plastic" it doesn't feel cheap. Even the packaging did a great effort at being high class without over the over-the-stop ripping off of Apple packaging.

Comment

WebOS had a phenomenal UI, but dog-slow innards.

Comment

The $99 deal may be coming back:

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news/...-touchpads.ars

Missed out on the $99 TouchPad? You may get one last chance
                    By Casey Johnston | Published about 5 hours ago
                    HP will produce "one last run of TouchPads" to meet the outpouring of demand that came after various outlets began selling the device at a deep discount price of $99 for the 16GB version and $149 for the 32GB version. The company provides no guarantees that the run will be priced so aggressively, but promises the fadeout of webOS hardware will go on as scheduled.

Just 49 days after the TouchPad's launch, HP announced that it planned to stop production on all webOS devices, including the chunky tablet. HP noted that the tablet failed to achieve the expected number two market position following rumors that Best Buy had managed to move less than 10 percent of its TouchPad stock, and wanted HP to take the albatross of a device back.

Once the TouchPad was discontinued, Best Buy, HP, and other outlets priced the forgotten toys starting at $99, a $400 discount from the sale price at launch. Many outlets sold out of the tablet overnight, and would-be customers lamented over the incredible sale they missed, despite the lackluster hardware and defunct (if revered) operating system.

According to a blog post on HP's website, the company will manufacture a "limited quantity" of TouchPads prior to October 31, when the company's fourth fiscal quarter ends. It will be "a few weeks" before the last run becomes available, with no deep discount pricing guaranteed and no information on how large the run will be. Representatives have promised that HP will place an order limit on this set of TouchPads to prevent profiteers buying them in bulk and reselling them on sites like eBay and Craigslist.
                    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Sorry, that makes no sense. People bought them because they were $99 tablets, not because they really wanted them. If HP can make them for $99, more power to them, but there's no way the manufacturing cost of the tablet is $99 or less... so they won't be priced at $99. At least not until they fail to sell at $300 or whatever, and then are reduced again

edit: iSuppli suggests they're just over $300 ($296 16gb/$318 32gb, plus $10 or so labor) to produce: iSuppli So even if they don't sell them at retail, they'll have to sell at over $300 to break even; if Best Buy or whatever sells them, even at only a 10-15% markup, they're $350+.
                      <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                      I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

The problem is they had the components already. The "manufacturing" is just assembling the remaining components and selling them.

Comment

Ah, I suppose that may be the case.
                          <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                          I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Working...
                          X