Yet Another Computer Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yet Another Computer Thread

Last year I did my first build, which worked out very well. Now one of my friends has asked for my help in designing and building one for him.

Since I'm still relatively new to this, I want to run things by the crowd here to make sure I'm not leading him astray. Here's what we've picked out so far:

Intel Core i7 2600

Gigabyte GA-H67MA-USB3-B3 LGA 1155 H67 mATX Intel Motherboard

XFX HD685XZNBC AMD Radeon HD 6850 Black Edition 1024MB GDDR5 PCIe 2.1 x16 Video Card

Corsair XMS 8GB DDR3-1333 (PC3-10666) CL9 Dual Channel Desktop Memory Kit (Two 4GB Memory Modules)

WD Caviar Black 1TB 7,200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive WD1002FAEX - OEM

OCZ Technology Solid 3 60GB SLD3-25SAT3-60G SATA 6Gb/s 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) with SandForce 2281 Controller

Sony AD-7260S 24X SATA Internal DVD Burner - OEM

Corsair Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 650 Watt ATX Power Supply

AZZA Toledo 310 Mid Tower ATX Case

I guess the parts I'm most unsure about are the solid state drive (since I opted not to have one in my computer, so I don't know who the good manufacturers are) and the graphics card (the Radeon 6850 looks to be at a pretty sweet spot as far as price v. performance goes, but I'm not sure).

This all works out to about $1,000ish right now, and he's not looking to spend too much more than that.

As always, the help is appreciated.

A quick look through and I think you made some excellent choices.

I'm not totally sure on the SSD either, as I've not looked into that.

AnandTech has a great SSD "bench" app where you can compare most SSDs in various benchmarks: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/SSD/65
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

OCZ is probably the best name out there right now, or at least the biggest, for SSD. Their lines:
      Vertex > Agility > Solid
      though there's not a massive difference between Agility and Vertex, there is a decent sized difference between Solid and Agility. At least get Agility. I also would get a slightly larger drive - the larger drive will perform better (IIRC due to larger block size?). That benchmark difference doesn't directly translate into real world difference, but there is a bump.

I had a Vertex 2 and was happy with it, until it bricked. That's the one risk of SSDs - sometimes firmware craps out on you, as it did with mine. Fortunately I back up regularly so I didn't lose anything

For the other parts, I'd say you're spending way too much on the power supply; there are great PSUs for more like $50-$65, and you don't really need that much wattage. I like Antec PSUs myself, though there are plenty of other good brands in a more reasonable price range.

I also like slightly cheaper video cards - the sweet spot for video cards tends to be more like $120-$150, then upgrade in a year and a half or so to another $120-$150 card. You get more out of your money that way - the $120 cards tend to be fine performance wise, and in a year and a half the $120 card of that era will be a generation or so past the one you have in the box now for $200. But I haven't looked at the current crop of cards recently, so this may not be accurate anymore.

Other than that you're probably fine. Gigabyte used to be annoying for motherboards (support issues) but I think they're better lately.
      Last edited by snoopy369; August 10, 2011, 02:19.
      <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
      I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

I got my 6850 for $150 after mail in rebate.
        "

Comment

Thanks for the help!

The graphics card was $170 with the rebate, and the 6850 has gotten very good reviews from what I've seen, so we'll stick with that. The AnandTech SSD benchmarks that Asher linked to show little difference between the Agility and Solid 60G drives, so I'll have to check what the price differential is like between them.

Comment

The 60GB Agility is not very good at all, but compare the 120GB Agility and you see huge, huge improvements. I'd recommend against a 60GB SSD in general.
            <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
            I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

I wouldn't buy a SSD from OCZ

It's a depressing time to be covering the consumer SSD market. Although performance is higher than it has ever been, we're still seeing far too many compatibility and reliability issues from all of the major players. Intel used to be our safe haven, but even the extra reliable Intel SSD 320 is plagued by a firmware bug that may crop up unexpectedly, limiting your drive's capacity to only 8MB. Then there are the infamous BSOD issues that affect SandForce SF-2281 drives like the OCZ Vertex 3 or the Corsair Force 3. Despite OCZ and SandForce believing they were on to the root cause of the problem several weeks ago, there are still reports of issues. I've even been able to duplicate the issue internally.
              http://www.anandtech.com/show/4604/t...-ssds-compared
              Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy Lessing

Comment

This is why I still steer clear of SSDs on desktops. Not mature yet.
                "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                  This is why I still steer clear of SSDs on desktops. Not mature yet.
                  I use a 60GB Patriot SSD for my boot drive. Seems to be working fine.
                  Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

Working...
                  X