No announcement yet.

My PC turns itself off when booting up.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My PC turns itself off when booting up.

It started today. Sometimes it gets as far as booting Windows, sometimes it doesn't even get to the POST beep. No new hardware. Can there be something wrong with my CPU fan? It spins, but its internal LED is off. If I want to future-proof my next fan, what slot should I look for? Is it even possible if my current slot is LGA775?
    Graffiti in a public toilet
    Do not require skill or wit
    Among the **** we all are poets
    Among the poets we are ****.

It could be heat, my first guess would be something not in as tight as it should be or memory though.

JM
    Jon Miller-
    I AM.CANADIAN
    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

My most important clue is the vanity LED on the CPU cooler flickering and dying. After it does that, the PC turns off in five seconds.

Comment

To see if it's heat, go into the BIOS if possible and monitor temperature. Should get there before it crashes.

Could also be a bad PSU.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Is it XP? Could be a boot sector load issue.

Boot from an XP disk, press R to get into recovery console, then run chkdsk. If it finds any issues run chkdsk /r
          Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
          Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
          We've got both kinds

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
            To see if it's heat, go into the BIOS if possible and monitor temperature. Should get there before it crashes.

Could also be a bad PSU.
            Couldn't even get into BIOS. Bought and installed new PSU and cooler and I'm back here. Hiper K1000 and Zalman CNPS10x Extreme should work fine with my future upgrade.

Comment

Jeez if you couldn't get into Bios, maybe your RAM is faulty. But there could be more.

Comment

Working...
              X