Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I may be in the market for a smartphone.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I may be in the market for a smartphone.

It has to be Android and Verizon. Physical keyboard very much preferable. Compactness is also nice. I don't want to carry around a brick.

Right now this looks like the winner:
    Droid Pro

I probably won't be buying a new phone for a at least a month or so if I do decide to get one. Advice?
    If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
    :(){ :|:& };:

Galaxy S II or a similar dual-core 1GHz phone.

Droid Pro seems to be single core.

http://pocketnow.com/android/verizon...unch-this-july
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

If you really must have a keyboard, there's a new Droid with one.

http://phandroid.com/2011/05/31/moto...unch-imminent/
      http://phandroid.com/motorola-droid-3/

It's also dual core.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Wouldn't a dual core take more power? I'd prefer a battery life longer than 20 hours.

Comment

No, because it's not always powered. It only turns on when needed.

What uses more power: Having 1 core at 1GHz for 10s or 2 cores at 500MHz for 10s?

The former.

What uses more power? 1 core at 1GHz for 10s or 2 cores at 1GHz for 5s?

The same.

Paradoxically, a dual-core CPU can reduce net power draw.

Comment

The Galaxy S II, with a dual-core 1.2GHz CPU, is one of the better Android phones in battery life.

http://blog.gsmarena.com/showdown-sa...t-so-brightly/

Web browsing battery life test:

Apple iPhone 4 – 7:40 h
            Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc – 5:25 h
            Samsung I9100 Galaxy S II – 4:59 h (Opera Mobile browser)
            LG Optimus 2X – 4:54 h
            LG Optimus Black – 4:30 h
            Samsung I9100 Galaxy S II – 4:22 h (stock browser)
            Samsung I9000 Galaxy S – 4:06 h

Comment

http://remexat.blogspot.com/2011/05/...life-test.html

How Good is the Samsung Galaxy S 2 Battery life? The GSMArena team have carried out some tests to see what the battery autonomy of Galaxy S II is. They have done a series of tests, but the most important one is the test they used the terminal for performing various tasks to see how long the battery would last.
              Here are the tasks they threw at Galaxy S II when its 1650 mAh battery was fully charged:

90 minutes of playing videos and movies
              2 hours of music playing
              40 minutes for voice calls
              30 minutes of GPS navigation
              30 minutes of general UI usage
              10 minutes of internet browsing
              10 minutes of video recording and photo taking
              20 minutes of Angry Birds playing

Total usage time comes out to be 350 minutes (5 hours and 50 minutes) and the Handset worked for 82 hours before switching off!

Samsung Galaxy S II has a 4.3-inch display which is responsible for almost half of the battery consumption. It is powered by a dual-core chip and a 1650 mAh battery, which exceeds iPhone’s battery by 250 mAh. Its day-to-day battery life is comparable to iPhone 4 whose battery can last just as long or even longer if users do not use push notifications.

During web browsing tests, Samsung Galaxy S II’s battery drained after just four and half hours, irrespective of the browser used, but iPhone 4′s battery lasted for up to 7 hours of continuous browsing, according to the test performed. As for video playing, Samsung Galaxy S II reaches an 8 hour autonomy, long enough for users to watch a few episodes of their favorite TV series.

Taking into account the Test results, Samsung Galaxy II is okay in terms of battery autonomy, but surely better than its predecessor Galaxy S!
              A Galaxy S II has a 2x1.2GHz CPU, Galaxy S had 1x1.0GHz. The S II has a bigger, higher res screen as well. And it still beats it on battery life. Note the browsing is done over 3G. WiFi browsing is ~10h.

Comment

I've got an original Galaxy S, and it outperforms the iPhone4 in almost every way. The S II is even better. No brainer, the fastest and most capable Android smartphone on the market.

Get Juice Defender app, or something similar, and the battery life comfortably lasts 36 hours with moderate use, calls, browsing, video, music (no games). And the S II has better life.
                Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                We've got both kinds

Comment

Also part of the reason it drains the battery life is how aggressively it tries to find and switch to the fastest network available, you can tweak that so it's not constantly searching for network coverage which massively improves things. You don't really need it to do that in most cases.
                  Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                  We've got both kinds

Comment

If you use that Juice Defender app, how much battery life would the Droid Pro get?

Comment

No idea. I've got a Galaxy S. But it gives me 1.85 times battery life.

You can configure all the stuff juice defender does for you yourself, anyway by default it turns off all web browsing for 4 mins out of 5 when the screen is off.
                      We've got both kinds

Comment

How large are these smartphones? They seem huge. Do they really fit in a pocket?

Comment

Usually. If you wear skinny jeans, no -- but if you wear skinny jeans, you should jump off a bridge and remove your small package from the gene pool.

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider
                            How large are these smartphones? They seem huge. Do they really fit in a pocket?
                            The Galaxy S fits in my front pockets with no problem at all. You can go to a phone store and actually look at them...
                            We've got both kinds

Comment

Android is activating 500K units per day now. 4.4% growth rate week over week. Wow.

Comment

Working...
                              X