No announcement yet.

New phone: Time to join the 21st Century

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have to say that I was highly disappointed in the pricing of non-smartphone cell service in the US. My wife and I pay ~$130 a month for two iPhones (plus taxes), and I figured that if we went to non-iPhones, and just got iPod touches, we could save money... but that's not really the case. As far as I can tell, $60/month is the absolute cheapest we could get a plan for both of us just talk, and then it would be something like $10 each for texting; but in practice it's more like $80/month for both of us just talk, and so it ends up being close to the $130/month for the iPhone - and with paying full price for the iPod touch, we don't really save much money at all [the price difference is something like seven months' service difference]. Given we both use the GPS/map functionality heavily (which is the main thing we'd miss from an iPhone/smart phone), it doesn't seem worth it. If I could find something that was like $70/month plus text plan and still had a gps functionality I'd go for it, but I don't think that exists (they all seem to require data plans, at which point might as well have a smartphone)...

Any suggestions? Am I completely missing something? I considered something like Cricket/etc., but as far as I can tell any savings you get from the cheaper plans or pay-as-you-go is lost compared to the family plan pricing (ok, $30/month per line is not horrid, but $60/month is close to the family plan rate now).
    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Originally posted by N35t0r
      If you paid for the trip, sure.

Luckily, the mark-up in cell phones is still not greater than a plane ticket to asia.
      Then get one on your next business trip or have a relative there get one for you.
      “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
      "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
        Verizon did that because they're getting a new version of the Galaxy S II: http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=22561

4.5" screen, LTE modem, dual 1.5GHz CPUs
        Either the Droid Prime or Nexus Prime, depending upon who you talk to.

I'm going to be getting the Bionic later on this month, due to my silly "buy from American Companies" mentality.
        Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

Excellent way to think.
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

People think I'm weird for buying Rayovac batteries.
            Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

Picked my up Bionic today. Is muy Bueno.

Comment

Why wouldn't you want Apple on your option? It's an all in One phone. Well, you can go for Samsung Galaxy instead.

Comment

Working...
                X