New phone: Time to join the 21st Century

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New phone: Time to join the 21st Century

Well, I am planing to buy a new phone today. All I really want to besides phone calls and text is to surf the web with a decent bowser; if it can play music that would be nice (since my mp3 player die last week) too. I'm thinking a Blackberry, but I could go for an Android. I would not go for anything by Apple.

Any suggestions? I live in the backwater that is Saskatchewan if that helps.

EDIT: Forgot to mention I lost my cell in some rural hellhole; both ringer and actual phone shut off, so its good as gone. I have no other phone besides that lost cell phone (well, I could use work`s but that could be risky)
    Last edited by mrboo123; June 6, 2011, 11:37.
    Former President, Vice-president and Foreign Minister of the Apolyton Civ2-Democracy Games as 123john321

I would wait a month or two for the Samsung Galaxy S II: http://www.samsung.com/global/microsite/galaxys2/html/
    Uber phone!

Are you with SaskTel? Or a real carrier?
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

I just got the desire S, had it about 1½ weeks and so far I like it
      This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

Sasktel; mostly for the coverage in the province (basically, if I can get cell coverage in Melfort and on major highways, besides Saskatoon and Regina, I`m good). The cell phone I lost is the only phone i had at all (home phone is soo 20th century) but I do have my phone number at work (horray for cube farms!).

I`m done with the contract with Sasktel; actually was done last year, just kept the phone because it was good enough. They do carry the current Galaxy S

http://www.sasktel.com/search/contro...axy_S_Vibrant_

The phone looks nice, but I`m looking for a actual keyboard for the phone; unless you can convince me otherwise.

Hope this helps.
        Former President, Vice-president and Foreign Minister of the Apolyton Civ2-Democracy Games as 123john321

Comment

Checked the coverage map for Telus and it looks surpisingly good actually; Roger`s didn`t (no Melfort, where my parents live).

http://www.telusmobility.com/en/SK/c...oicemaps.shtml
          http://www.rogers.com/web/content/wi...0909-_-fastest

Comment

The problem with SaskTel is IIRC it's CDMA, which is effectively dead in Canada for phone selection.
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

I hate BBs, the latest OSes seem buggy as hell also.

Consider the Motorola Droid 3 when it comes out if you require a physical KB?

http://www.pcworld.com/article/22943..._3_leaked.html

Comment

Well, found the cell phone; still interseted in a new phone, now I can wait a few months for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                  The problem with SaskTel is IIRC it's CDMA, which is effectively dead in Canada for phone selection.
                  Why is that a bad thing? Checking wiki, it`s just a form to transfer data from cell to tower right (ish)?

Comment

Originally posted by mrboo123
                    Why is that a bad thing? Checking wiki, it`s just a form to transfer data from cell to tower right (ish)?
                    Because phones are usually CDMA or GSM, not both (some are, but they're more expensive "World Phones").

The market for CDMA phones in Canada is ridiculously small now, since Bell/Telus have moved to GSM. SaskTel is the last CDMA carrier. That means the costs to get the phone certified for use in Canada is not usually worth it, considering how small that market is.

Comment

Oh that. I heard they where phasing that out this year (maybe already did).

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                        I would wait a month or two for the Samsung Galaxy S II: http://www.samsung.com/global/microsite/galaxys2/html/
                        Uber phone!

Are you with SaskTel? Or a real carrier?
                        Two months? Is that a Canadian/North-America thing? I got mine just last week. But you are right about it being ueber.
                        Within weeks they'll be re-opening the shipyards
                        And notifying the next of kin
                        Once again...

Comment

It's not coming out until July here.

Comment

Originally posted by Hueij
                            Two months? Is that a Canadian/North-America thing? I got mine just last week. But you are right about it being ueber.
                            How would you describe how well it is to text/dail a number? I doubt it`s as good as a actual keyboard, but do you have any major issues with it?

Comment

Asher, what do you think of the Motorola Photon?
                              “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                              "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Working...
                              X