No announcement yet.

RSS readers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, it's niche enough that Google has decided to retire their RSS reader .

And anecdotally, I have friends who read a number of blogs but have absolutely no idea what RSS is or what Google Reader really does.
    I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Sure, so do I, but I also know lots of people who read RSS. I'd bet the number of regular RSS readers is around a million or so; that's enough to justify a meaningful market. Add to that the fact that RSS readers will tend towards the technically apt, and you'll have plenty of potential products. Take away a good product like Google Reader and someone else will make it.

Google retired their RSS reader because they're trying to fit people into their ecosystem. Entirely logical from their part; just irritating.
      <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
      I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Old Reader is alternating between showing 1 item on the sidebar with no unread posts in the main and a 500 error showing cat pictures saying they are likely deploying an update. It says to refresh to see more cat pics but sometimes I get the unreadable post instead.
        Pool Manager - Lombardi Handicappers League - An NFL Pick 'Em Pool

https://youtu.be/HLNhPMQnWu4

Comment

Works for me at the moment. I don't know that I'll stick with it, though, we'll see. Still Google Readering for the moment.

Bloglovin was recommended by a friend and I'm trying that as well. It doesn't update as fast as GR but faster than TOR, so that's a plus. Also, not green. Sorry, Kermit. It did one funny thing though; when it imported my Google Reader stuff, it grabbed Engadget Japan instead of Engadget...

Comment

I'm currently using both Old Reader and Netvibes to see which is better. (The previously mentioned glut of unreads seems to be from 1 site, which has issues displaying atm.)

Comment

Just saw Newsblur (recc'd by Cory Doctorow, so can't be that bad, right?). I like the concept. Despite the hard sell you can get a free account [just close and return to main site at that point], though I don't mind paying $24/year if I like it. It seems to show the full page of the link for the RSS link, whilst still maintaining a list view as well - best of both worlds sort of thing.

Edit: Ooh, yes. Double clicking on the list entry brings up the full page in the reader portion. This I like...

Comment

It's a good thing my words aren't backed by nuclear weapons; all the collateral damage from nuking google's headquarters would weigh on my conscience a little.

Old Reader was just too damned slow, Netvibes kept throwing in random old ****. I didn't like newsblur when I tried the "try it now" version. I think I just have to put Google right up there with EA and find something else to do with my time. Books or goatherding or such.

Comment

I'm curious what you didn't like about Newsblur. I've been really happy with it to the point that when I switch back to Google Reader I miss several of the features. In particular being able to read the posts in-frame, and the text version which is really helpful for things like NYT and Chicago Tribune that add some delays or limits to reading full page views.

Comment

Well, probably user error, since it has worked ok with my feeds. However, I have found that when I click all site stories and scroll through, I still have unread items and must click all site stories again to get them. They are too numerous and with incorrect times to be updates. Also the do-dad that indicates what is read irritates me at low item counts but I am trying that in unlocked mode now.

Yes, unlocked is definitely much better for me.
                    Last edited by ColdWizard; April 9, 2013, 12:21.

Comment

Hmm, interesting - I don't have so many problems with read items, in fact it goes the other way for me (I rarely scroll through, I usually pick and choose). Sometimes I switch to a feed by accident and/or decide not to read the posts yet, then switch away again and end up with the first item or two being marked read when I didn't want it to be

It's still not as fast as Google Reader to update, but it's a lot closer, in some cases being as fast or even faster; I'm not sure why. Maybe more popular feeds are updated more often. But it seems fast enough for the moment. We'll see how much capacity they end up getting; as a (largely) paid service I'm hoping not only that the number of users stays low enough, but that the payments for those who do come over end up meaning they can afford enough server capacity. But we'll see.

I suppose I could always host my own newsblur server if I don't like theirs

Comment

Ah, it appears that "The full River of News is a premium feature". It seems to show 12 items at a time for me.

Comment

Ahh, I see. I did go ahead and pay for a year's subscription once I decided I liked it ($24 isn't really unreasonable for this sort of thing, and I figure supporting them will help manage the server load ) so I didn't realize that.

Comment

It only shows up in the lower pane (whatever the list is called), which I generally ignore. It did just throw a webcomic item back at me which I had already read but as this is the first time it's done that, I'll disregard it as a minor hiccup.

Comment

Ah, gotcha. That's how I read my rss reader (the list format) since I probably only read ~25% of my items.

Comment

The individual feeds don't have the limitation so it's not too annoying. With my subscriptions, the feeds view gives me enough that I usually don't have to read the full thing, whereas the headlines wouldn't give me enough.

Comment

Working...
                                X