Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I resolve a direct draw conflict?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I resolve a direct draw conflict?

I have a game, Microsoft Ages of Empire II The Conquerors expansion, my new laptop, it has a Crossfire 1GB ATI Radeon Mobility HD 5870 graphics card, but when I try launching it comes up with an error message unable to run do to a conflict with direct draw compatability.

I have tried in both Windows 7 and on my Virtual Machine in XP Mode.

I have made sure the driver is updated, any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Grandpa Troll
    Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Well, its amazing, I been researching this topic, unable to fin an answer anywhere that actually is a fix.

Many theories, many suggestions, but alas, none I could find that resolved this.

I eagerly await any suggestion though...................

Grandpa Troll

Comment

Sounds like the driver just won't work with it.

Can you provide the exact error? I'll send it to the ATI Catalyst driver manager.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Could not initialize graphics system. Make sure your video card and driver are compatible with DirectDraw

Thanks so much for any assistance Asher

Comment

One other thing, I have tried in Windows 7, as well as my Virtual PC in XP Mode.

I have tried running as an administrator as well as various compatibility modes, all unsuccessful

Comment

Seems to be a very common error, as it's so old

Some people say installing the latest DirectX 9.0c will fix: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displayLang=en
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Also, if possible try to install the latest ATI drivers in your virtual PC for XP. Not sure if that'd work

Comment

Originally posted by Asher

Some people say installing the latest DirectX 9.0c will fix: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displayLang=en
                Thanks, will try both, Im gonna try to sleep now..get some rest

I do appreciate your input

Comment

If it makes you feel better, Gramps, the ASUS has the exact same graphics card so you didn't make a mistake buying an Alienware with regards to that. However, Age 3 works no problem with this graphics card. AoE2 doesn't seem so old that it wouldn't work though.
                  "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                  "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

No go, didnt help unfortunatly

Comment

Also, if possible try to install the latest ATI drivers in your virtual PC for XP. Not sure if that'd work
                      Said all were up to date

Comment

This is frustrating, brand new PC, [;us I have the virtual PC so can go back to XP, but still get error on both sides. This is happening on one of my all time favorite games, AOE II The conquerors.

I am perplexed, just sharing, I think I will try I think The Blacksmith???..or something like that, a site that specializes in Ages forums...

Anyhoo...just though I would ask here first with all of our experts here.

Drats

Grandpa Troll

Comment

It's either a driver bug or a game bug, not something you can fix. Any workaround is probably game-specific so I doubt anyone here knows.

Comment

It's either a driver bug or a game bug, not something you can fix. Any workaround is probably game-specific so I doubt anyone here knows.
                            Thanks

Im in process of Heavengames inquiry now, if I get a workaround, I will post Asher

Comment

Well, I have posted on Ages of Kings, The Heavengames forums and just dawned on me, I also posted on AMD.COM since this is an ATI graphics Card

(Fingers Crossed)

Comment

Working...
                              X