Got a new PC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got a new PC

My brother sent me a new gaming computer in the mail, with a nice big display monitor 1680 x 1050. I plugged my laptop into it. It's hard to read the little words now.

The new desktop hasn't been tested yet. It runs Vista, which I'm really dubious about. Is there a way to get XP on it instead? I'm much more familiar with that. Hell, I was kinda pissed they moved away from 98 and NT...

The new computer rig is so large it no longer fits in my dining table corner. I've set up a new computer center downstairs where it's in the shade away from the sun. I'm currently working on a paper for law school and so I don't have my games, but if I did, the monitor would probably make them awesome.
    "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

blahblahblah ignore list, i am on blahblahblah good advice here that you won't see blahblahblah
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Vista is ok once you're used to it. If you have an old copy of XP on disk you could try setting up a dual boot setup(google 'dual boot XP/Vista' etc).

My friend loves Vista(but he uses a Mac historicaly), i'm luke warm about it and prefer XP/98se as i know them better, and for games compatibility Vista just goes that step further than XP in being a pain in the but, mostly re old games mind you.

Comment

The laptop has DOSBox on it and handles most of the old games well. (TIE Fighter, X-COM, the original Civ, System Shock 1, etc.) I'm hoping the new desktop will take some of the resource-intensive weight of the new games off my laptop.

I'm thinking of getting Civ4, and I want to port SMAC and RONTAP (by no means "new" games, but addictive enough that I don't want them on my laptop) to the desktop. But I don't want to faff around looking for ways to get them running, if I can help it.

It occurs to me that I now have three desktops and four laptops. I should probably get rid of some of them.
        "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

If you have 7 computers total then you probably have a space XP license you can use .

If you don't have an XP install disk then you need to get one. Last time I had this problem I contacted Microsoft, and asked them for an install disk for my legally purchased Windows XP. I though that since they have product activation, and their install media are genric and widely available, they should of course freely provide downloads. I don't think they even understood why they should do that - good customer support is apparently completely absent at Microsoft.

So I ended up downloading it from bittorrent. Installing. Finding out at the end of the install process that my key only worked with the OEM XP version, not the otherwise identical retail XP version. Download new copy of XP from bittorrent. Install again. Working system after having used 4 hours more installing drivers and security updates, and about 10 more forced restarts...

</rant>

Random note: Nice new picture. Is that a bun?
          http://www.hardware-wiki.com - A wiki about computers, with focus on Linux support.

Comment

My laptop runs XP, but I do not believe it came with a full installation disc for XP. I think the disc that came with it was just one of those "rearrange files back to more or less how it was when you got it" discs.

I'll give Vista a try. I didn't even get around to using XP until 2006, when I was forced to buy a laptop with the law school program.

PS Yes, it's a bun.
            "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

Civ4 runs fine on Vista. I have a lot of trouble getting DOS games to run on my Vista rig - but that may just be operator issues So you are probably best keeping them on your laptop

All the XP games that ran on my previous XP PC run under Vista although some work better in XP compatibility mode and others don't - trial and error here.

Look on the bright side - by the time you get the hang of Vista Windows 7 will have replaced it and you can look forward to learning that.
              Never give an AI an even break.

Comment

Any idea if DOSBox works on Vista?
                "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

Originally posted by Alinestra Covelia
                  My laptop runs XP, but I do not believe it came with a full installation disc for XP. I think the disc that came with it was just one of those "rearrange files back to more or less how it was when you got it" discs.
                  So just get an XP OEM disk from somewhere else, and you can use it with the product key from your laptop.

If the XP product key is not printed on the bottom of the laptop as usual, I know there are tools on the internet to extract the product key from an XP install.
                  http://www.hardware-wiki.com - A wiki about computers, with focus on Linux support.

Comment

RONTAP, SMAC and Civ4 all run on Vista. Even in in 1920x1200, which is my resolution.
                    Graffiti in a public toilet
                    Do not require skill or wit
                    Among the **** we all are poets
                    Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

Nice, I'll be installing the games on the shiny new desktop and then porting the savegames/mods over then.

I'm especially excited about Fallout3, which has a big modding community.
                      "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

Is that a scrotum or a bun in your mouth?? Gross. Get this sick woman off the site

Comment

Wiggy, watch your mouth.
                          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

dp
                            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by Alinestra Covelia
                              Nice, I'll be installing the games on the shiny new desktop and then porting the savegames/mods over then.

I'm especially excited about Fallout3, which has a big modding community.
                              Fallout also runs fine.

I strongly recommend:
                              hundred fists (cheaper attacks with your fists)
                              pyromaniac fix
                              demolition expert fix
                              balanced headshots (they now work on you as well)
                              big and small (st and en affect your size)
                              followers limited by charisma (classic mode, basically)
                              explosive explosives (can shoot at grenades)
                              power armor training (more ways to learn it)
                              explosive entry (blow up locks)
                              mr slackpants explosions (bigger explosions, cars are dangeorus now)
                              passive bloatfly (because they are annoying)
                              starke's classic AP and weight (classic mode, again)
                              repair rethought (more way to repair stuff, do not abuse tin cans)
                              accuracy tweaks + smurf impact wpnskilldmg none (your weapon skill affects your accuracy, not your damage)
                              clean water in oasis (becuase it's logical)
                              wrwc classic fallout (crippled arms matter now)
                              flesh burning plasma (not quite as good as classic Fallouts, but an improvement)
                              fellout (gets rid of that green tint + dark nights)
                              GNR - more where that came from (100 new songs)
                              fo3 fast start (no more sweetrolls and GOAT, yay)
                              projectile fix (your guns no longer shoot 10mm bullets only)
                              classic supermutant skins (green)

I also play with:
                              Nuclear Winter (retextures the Capital Wasteland, covering it with snow from Anchorage)

I also tried:
                              hi-res texture packs, but they turned out a bit too high-res for my machine;
                              different VATS modes, but they didn't fit my playstyle

Want to try:
                              weapon mod kits
                              UPDATE: WMK gets my seal of approval. I haven't had so much fun in F3 in a long while. Fully kitted out Sydney's SMG or the Terrible Shotgun = barrels of fun.

Never going to try:
                              global travel system
                              settler mode
                              enclave commander
                              and other total conversion packs.
                              Last edited by onodera; May 4, 2009, 16:09.
                              Graffiti in a public toilet
                              Do not require skill or wit
                              Among the **** we all are poets
                              Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

Working...
                              X