The Hardy Boys and the Case of the Disappearing iPod Artist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Hardy Boys and the Case of the Disappearing iPod Artist

Anybody know why my iPod would show an album by album name, but not by artist? I've discovered this with two artists so far. Checking iTunes, I can see that each artist is listed correctly with the appropriate album; and, indeed, when I play the album, it shows the artist's name correctly. But scroll through a list of artists in the iPod, and they're not there. There's nothing linking these two albums; they're in different genres, on different labels, etc.

This isn't a huge problem, obviously, but since I tend to choose my listening by artist, it would be nice to have that function be, well, fully functional. Any ideas? TIA.
    "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." George Carlin

Google is your friend:

It could be that you have inadvertently imported these CDs into iTunes as part of a compilation. If so, the artists won't show in the artists menu on the iPod.

To check, highlight the tracks on one of the offending artists CDs in iTunes, right click and select "get info". This brings up a song info window, and by selecting "options" you can check if you have 'yes' in the box marked "part of a compilation".

If you have, select 'no' instead and click 'ok'. Do this with any CD that has this issue. This will alter the info in iTunes, and you should then connect your iPod and synchronize the changes.

The problem arises because the information contained on the Gracenote CD Data Base (where iTunes gets all it's album/artist/track info from), is sometimes incorrect. It can show CDs as compilations when in fact they are not.

You should also check that the songs have album name info in their ID tags.
    Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy Lessing

Comment

Google's not my friend, apparently, since my googling didn't find that excellent explanation.

Thanks for finding it for me; that seems likely to have been the problem.
      "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." George Carlin

Comment

Working...
      X