No announcement yet.

Re-Installing Windows XP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Restore put the pc at an earlier date, when it was saved. Reinstall is trying to correct any broken links and format erases all and starts over. I'm sure a tech guy would word it all differently.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

so I should have "saved my game" when I had the chance? its too late now, when windows is allready broken.
      My Words Are Backed With Bad Attitude And VETERAN KNIGHTS!

Comment

Try to mend any broken links by reinstalling.If it fails, try Restore. As a last effort, reformat and save what you can first. Everything else will be gone.
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

Windows "saves the game", if you want to word it like that, from time to time itself. Try a system restore to before the problems. But if that doesn't work, a reinstall is the only option I'm afraid. Take a backup and wipe the hdd clean.
          Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
          I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
          Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
            Try to mend any broken links by reinstalling.If it fails, try Restore. As a last effort, reformat and save what you can first. Everything else will be gone.
            now I'm completely confused.

Nikolai's advice sound somewhat understandaple.

Comment

Okay, this is what I suggest you do. You probably should do a complete reinstall, that's the only way to make the computer completly clean and fast as it was when you got it. But it means you'll loose everything on the computer, programs, games and files. If you choose to do that, make sure to make a backup copy of what you want to keep on f.ex. an external harddisc or some DVD-Rs.

But first, try using system restore. It will keep your files, but remove programs and other changes to the system between the restore point of your choosing and now. To do a system restore (IIRC, I don't have XP anymore and Vista has it placed another place), go to Start -> Programs -> Accessories -> System-something -> System Restore. Choose a date you remember the computer working better and follow the instructions.

That is not neccessarily good enough though, some times the only good solution is a complete reinstall. Then, do as follows. After making the aforementioned backup, set your XP install CD into the CD-ROM station, reboot the computer. If no one has changed your BIOS startup settings, the CD should boot before the HDD. If that is not the case, say so here, and I'll try to guide you through that too. When the CD has booted (it'll take some time), follow the instructions. You'll need to delete the C:\ partition, if you have more than one partition the others can be left alone and all data on them can be kept. Programs needing info stored in the Windows registry will not work afterwards though. After deleting the C:\ partition, make a clean install on the now free space. Follow the instructions, and you should be fine.
              Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10

Comment

Thats pretty much what i said, more than a week ago. I cant believe you still havent done it . As an additional advice: If you are burning your backup-files to a DVD/CD, make sure the burning worked, before you erase your system. Chances are low, that it didnt, but it has actually happened to me once...

Comment

Originally posted by Nikolai
                  Okay, this is what I suggest you do. You probably should do a complete reinstall, that's the only way to make the computer completly clean and fast as it was when you got it. But it means you'll loose everything on the computer, programs, games and files. If you choose to do that, make sure to make a backup copy of what you want to keep on f.ex. an external harddisc or some DVD-Rs.

But first, try using system restore. It will keep your files, but remove programs and other changes to the system between the restore point of your choosing and now. To do a system restore (IIRC, I don't have XP anymore and Vista has it placed another place), go to Start -> Programs -> Accessories -> System-something -> System Restore. Choose a date you remember the computer working better and follow the instructions.

That is not neccessarily good enough though, some times the only good solution is a complete reinstall. Then, do as follows. After making the aforementioned backup, set your XP install CD into the CD-ROM station, reboot the computer. If no one has changed your BIOS startup settings, the CD should boot before the HDD. If that is not the case, say so here, and I'll try to guide you through that too. When the CD has booted (it'll take some time), follow the instructions. You'll need to delete the C:\ partition, if you have more than one partition the others can be left alone and all data on them can be kept. Programs needing info stored in the Windows registry will not work afterwards though. After deleting the C:\ partition, make a clean install on the now free space. Follow the instructions, and you should be fine.
                  Now this is what I call Advice!

Comment

I spent last week making those backups. and they seem to be working. hopefully I have everything backedup.

tried that System Restore on saturnday, and it worked. exept that some of the problems were older than oldest of my sysres points.
                    so.... it seems that I have to do a full reinstall after all. its good that I get a clean and working PC, but it will be A LOT of work. and I'm a little stressed because all the OTHER things I should be doing.....

Comment

Reinstall is not reformat. If you're just reinstalling, the backups aren't made necessary by doing it, although backups are a good idea just in general.

Comment

When reinstalling, it's always wise to make a complete restart by reformatting. It cleans up much which can not be dealt with otherwise.

Comment

Then it's a reformat, not a reinstall. Well, I guess reformat is the ultimate reinstall, if one wants to look at it that way.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                            XP is no longer supported as of yesterday. FYI.
                            Where do you get off being 100% wrong and not even caring?

http://www.neowin.net/news/main/08/0...ded-until-2014

http://support.microsoft.com/lifecyc...6&y=12&C2=1173

Comment

You're confusing things

http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/new...d-to-worry.ars

Windows XP Mainstream Support retired, but no need to worry

Microsoft today retired Mainstream Support for Windows XP and Office 2003. Both products are now under Extended Support and will continue to be until April 8, 2014.
                              By Emil Protalinski | Last updated April 14, 2009 6:00 AM CT

As planned, Microsoft today retired Mainstream Support for Windows XP and Office 2003. However, for both products, Microsoft is not planning to retire Extended Support until April 8, 2014. If Redmond ends up releasing a fourth service pack for XP, it will retire support for SP3 (released April 2008) two years after SP4 is released, or in April 2014, whichever comes first. The same applies for Office 2003, which is also at SP3 (released in September 2007). In other words, most users don't have to worry for almost five more years.

The main difference between the two support packages is that Mainstream Support includes complimentary and paid support as well as bug fixes for all those who purchase a retail copy. Both support packages include free security updates, so all users will still receive security patches as Microsoft issues them, and the company will offer per-incident support via phone and Web for everyone. Customers who purchased a machine with XP on it will need to look to their OEM for support. Non-security hotfixes will be available to businesses that are enrolled in the Extended Hotfix Support program.

These dates affect all versions of XP (except for Embedded): Home Edition, Media Center Edition 2002, Media Center Edition 2004, Media Center Edition 2005, Professional, Professional x64 Edition, Tablet PC Edition, and Tablet PC Edition 2005, as well as of Office 2003: Basic Edition, Professional Edition, Professional Enterprise Edition, Small Business Edition, Standard Edition, along with Student and Teacher Edition.
                              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                              Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Working...
                              X