iPod Touch/Alternatives?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• iPod Touch/Alternatives?

I want to get a new portable media player.

I like the idea of Wi-Fi connectivity; I'm at college right now, so I have a Wi-Fi network available to me almost wherever I go.

I don't like having to use scuzzy applications, and I'm afraid to say that iTunes qualifies.

For the most part, though, I'm open to almost any possibilities. What should I be looking at?
    "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

The iPod Touch is kind of in a league of its own here.

The Blackberries that compete aren't as good with web stuff and are too pricey for cheapskates like you.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Am I going to be forced to download iTunes and (shudder) Quicktime?
      "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

iTunes, yes. I think it requires QT but I'm not sure.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

iTunes isn't that bad ... and I think you can in theory use a plugin for winamp, unless they broke that.

You might as well get an iPhone while you're at it ...
          <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
          I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

iTunes really is bad. It's very slow, it's ugly, it consumes massive amounts of resources, and it installs many parasite services without permission. It also has a bad habit of downloading a 75MB update for every 0.0.1 version security update and re-installing all services and shortcuts you have already gotten rid of the last time it tried to hijack your computer.

Did I mention it's slow too?

Comment

Hm, you can look at the Creative X-Fi and the Cowon Q5W. SanDisk's Sansa View does not support wi-fi, but you won't need additional software to run it, it's simply plug-and-play

Comment

Working...
              X