• Show
Clear All

• Sticky tape emits X-Rays

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7686530.stm

Sticky tape is source of X-rays
    By James Morgan
    Science reporter, BBC News

X-rays on the cheap

Peeling sticky tape emits X-rays strong enough to scan a human finger, a remarkable experiment has shown.

US researchers used a motorised peeling machine to unwind a roll of Scotch tape at a rate of 3cm per second.

By placing their apparatus in a vacuum, they measured X-rays strong enough to X-ray a human digit, according to a report in Nature journal.

It is well known that unwinding sticky tape produces sparks of light that can be seen in the dark by the naked eye.

This phenomenon, known as "triboluminescence", is produced by the friction generated when two surfaces rub against each other.

The study, by Carlos Camara and Juan Escobar, of the University of California, Los Angeles, USA, provides evidence for the phenomenon, which was first observed more than 50 years ago.

Story from BBC NEWS:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/h...re/7686530.stm

Published: 2008/10/23 15:26:30 GMT

BBC MMVIII
    "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Oh, additional thoughts:

"Tribal-luminescence" sounds racist.

That is all.
    "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

I'm not surprised. X-rays are generally a few thousand eV in energy and sparks only get created (for gaps of ~1 cm) at ~30000 V.
      12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
      Stadtluft Macht Frei
      Killing it is the new killing it
      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

This is really interesting :excited:
        Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Comment

Originally posted by Alinestra Covelia
          Oh, additional thoughts:

"Tribal-luminescence" sounds racist.

That is all.

I'm disappointed in you.

This phenomenon, known as "triboluminescence", is produced by the friction generated when two surfaces rub against each other.

... Made me think more along the lines of tribadism... I'm sure that must generate some energy as well.

edit by Snoopy: That link is not worksafe, not that you should have needed the warning in an AC thread.

Edit by me again: But, but... it's Wikipedia!
          Last edited by Mercator; October 23, 2008, 16:28.
          Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

That...

...Yes.

:defeat:
            "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

I want it to be known that I have never played the triangle in the Salvation Army Marching Band. Ever. Not even once while I was drunk and in high school in a boarding house in the UK.
              "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

I can't quite put things the way you do, though.
                Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

Alinestra's posts have never once made me laugh. In fact, I often grimace when she makes awkward jokes (as she is wont to do).
                  Stadtluft Macht Frei
                  Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

When that happens, try this.

1. Hold the grimace.

2. Close your eyes.

3. Make like you're rolling dice.

For best results ask your coworker to watch you when you do this and offer constructive feedback.
                    "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

Like, is that a masturbation joke? If so, then it wasn't funny.
                      Stadtluft Macht Frei
                      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

You don't find her funny because you can have sex with women in the real world. Don't **** on her sense of humor and those who appreciate it just because you're ridiculously blessed by Poly standards.

Comment

I'm not trying to be mean. She seems like a perfectly nice person.
                          Stadtluft Macht Frei
                          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Several points here.

1. I actually got KrazyHorse and someone else (I think it was Sirotnikov) mixed up for a while. Because of Sirotnikov's avatar, which has a horse. But then I realized it was a skeptical horse, not a Krazy Horse. (Although KrazyHorse's current avatar seems like it's been... um... superseded by events )

2. No worries about KH's taste in humor. Some people just don't have the same humor that I do. If this is KH's situation, then he's in good company (alongside my father, my former roommate, and most but not all of my law professors).

2a. Of course, not all my posts are humorous. He may well find the rest of my posts, the serious ones, worth his time (the ones about law, politics, and science).

2b. Even if he doesn't, he's in good company. LordShiva doesn't open threads that I start, and DaShi doesn't read any of my sexual posts.

Seriously, it's all right. KH is just providing feedback and he's not attacking anybody personally.

So, tape anybody?

Edit: Apparently it's actually law, politics, and computers. So obviously science is irrelevant.
                            "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

Nice referencing AC
                              You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Working...
                              X