So I'm looking to buy a new computer...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Impossible, I'd imagine...
    You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

What about video card manufacturers? Which are reliable and which to avoid?
      "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

Sorry, the page is in ducth but you should enough info to find english info.

Basix system:
        http://tweakers.net/reviews/962/2/tw...-pagina-2.html

multi-media system (sweet spot(-ish) ).

http://tweakers.net/reviews/962/3/tw...-pagina-3.html

High end (though you could get some cheaper alternatives. I'm somewhat going to mix between the two (multi and high-end) ).

http://tweakers.net/reviews/962/4/tw...-pagina-4.html

I'm looking to buy:
        - the 8400 core with a slightly better motherboard (base system)
        - graphics 4850 (basse)
        - mem 4G DDR2
        - HD Samsung 1Terra (maybe even two) (high end system)
        - speakers G51 (though I'm still looking at that one) (high end)

Am set for most other things, though I might go for the case from the high end review with a cheaper power supply

If anyone can recommend a good cooler, can't get the one I want at the shop I'm looking to buy from.

PS: most items links, if not all, are English.
        Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
        Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by Eli
          What about video card manufacturers? Which are reliable and which to avoid?
          I've never had any trouble with Sapphire or PowerColor (the two cheapest brands generally). EVGA and Foxconn are the other two manufacturers I've bought cards from, and they have been flawless as well.

I can't recall any specific brands that have had widespread troubles. It's mostly ATI and nVidia reference designs being used anyways.
          "tout comprendre, c'est tout pardonner"

Comment

Question from a former geek who hasn't built a system in 3 years.

How do you overclock these days?

Can you still go with multipliers, or you have to take the FSB route? Assuming the FSB route is the only one still possible, what FSBs will tolerate good-quality hardware?

And FSBs have become quad-pumped, right?
            In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Originally posted by Oncle Boris
              How do you overclock these days?

Can you still go with multipliers, or you have to take the FSB route? Assuming the FSB route is the only one still possible, what FSBs will tolerate good-quality hardware?
              It's still essentially the same, though unless you get an unlocked CPU (like the Core 2 Extremes) you will only have a few options on the multiplier, and can only go down at that.

Most MB's can handle FSB 1333 these days, and most will also have the BIOS options to support at least some OCing.

3GHz is a good target for just about any 65nm Core 2 CPU, they can sometimes make it as high as 3.6GHz on air. 45nm Core 2's can see as high as 4GHz with a good cooler and top flight MB. (Though I wouldn't recommend either max.)

Most Intel CPUs will have their rated speed determine the highest available multiplier. FSB 800, 1.8GHz for instance... that's 200*9, so that CPU will have 9x multiplier. 9x is the highest multiplier you get on Intels I think. Its a good idea to get one if you want top speeds. (That will allow 6x, 7x, 8x, 9x to be selected.)

If you get a MB capable of FSB 1600 or better you have more options. (I haven't used AMDs for a few years now. I've read they don't OC as well.) 8x multiplier would get you up to 3.2GHz.

And FSBs have become quad-pumped, right?
              Yes, the actual frequency is 1/4 the speed, and the CPU multiplier works off that base frequency.

Comment

What do you about the Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 processor, and also, what do I look for in a motherboard?
                "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

Memory sticks come with heat sinks now?! Yikes!

Comment

In a motherboard, look for the number and type of ports you need (if you use a lot of USB ports, if you use firewire, if you use ESATA for external drives; how many PCI ports and which types of them do you need). Also look for a decent cooling method if you run hot (ie, heatsinks on the northbridge and whatnot). Otherwise, just pick one that's reliable and gets frequent BIOS updates (check reviews). Biostar, Gigabyte, MFI, all fine.
                    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

E8400 is a good processor, if I wasn't thinking about overclocking, that'd be the one I'd buy right now. (It's a bit more expensive than I'd like when OC'ing... it OC's well though.)

For overclocking, I'd probably go with a E5200 (2MB L2 cache) or E7200 (3MB L2 cache). Both should be able to run at 3.2-3.6GHz, which will be close to the performance of the E8400 (6MB L2 cache) in most cases. (Though sometimes the size of the L2 cache matters more than clock speed... other times less. Will depend on the application)

Put some of the savings into a good heatsink and fan. (Thermalright Ultra 120 is what I use. Can even use it without a fan at lower clock speeds.)

Comment

Originally posted by Aeson

It's still essentially the same, though unless you get an unlocked CPU (like the Core 2 Extremes) you will only have a few options on the multiplier, and can only go down at that.

Most MB's can handle FSB 1333 these days, and most will also have the BIOS options to support at least some OCing.

3GHz is a good target for just about any 65nm Core 2 CPU, they can sometimes make it as high as 3.6GHz on air. 45nm Core 2's can see as high as 4GHz with a good cooler and top flight MB. (Though I wouldn't recommend either max.)

Most Intel CPUs will have their rated speed determine the highest available multiplier. FSB 800, 1.8GHz for instance... that's 200*9, so that CPU will have 9x multiplier. 9x is the highest multiplier you get on Intels I think. Its a good idea to get one if you want top speeds. (That will allow 6x, 7x, 8x, 9x to be selected.)

If you get a MB capable of FSB 1600 or better you have more options. (I haven't used AMDs for a few years now. I've read they don't OC as well.) 8x multiplier would get you up to 3.2GHz.

Yes, the actual frequency is 1/4 the speed, and the CPU multiplier works off that base frequency.
                        Thanks.

Do you know if quadcores overclock less (for having more cores) ?

And I suppose that if you're boosting FSB, you need geek memory?
                        In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Originally posted by Oncle Boris
                          Do you know if quadcores overclock less (for having more cores) ?
                          They will put out more heat, so you need better cooling to get to the same level.

It seems Intel is missing a low end 45nm quad core model with a higher multiplier... or I'm just missing it.

Q8200 is 333*7
                          Q9300 is 333*7.5
                          Q9400 is 333*8
                          Q9550 is 333*8.5
                          Q9600 is 333*9

Q6600 is 266*9, so at FSB1600 could get up to 3.6GHz for under $200. Probably the best option for "cheap OC" quad core right now, though it's a 65nm part. The Q9300 could get you to 3GHz easily enough, that might be a good option too. IMO, $250 is rather expensive to risk on an OC though.

And I suppose that if you're boosting FSB, you need geek memory?
                          If you have a CPU with a low multiplier, then yes. You do end up having to buy enthusiast memory (and MB) to run the higher FSB required if you're pushing the CPU.

Comment

Working...
                          X