Vista side-by-side with XP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vista side-by-side with XP

So Asher, you said a while back you had some suggestions for how to install my Vista upgrade while keeping my XP as a bootup option. I finally got my new HDD (shiny 10kRPM 150GB WD Raptor) ... any suggestions?

I have XP Professional (non-upgrade version), and will be installing Vista Ultimate (upgrade version). I'd like to be able to boot off my old drive in XP or my new drive in Vista, based on the price of tea in china. Bonus points if you design a script that determines the price of tea in china prior to boot.

Anyone else please chime in as well Thanks!!
    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

I'd first make a new partition for your new install.

Then simply follow these directions to make a fresh new install from "upgrade" media. It's a trick but it saves you a lot of money over buying the full version. Simply put, all Vista discs are really the same and only the product key determines which version you bought (Home Basic Full, Home Basic Upgrade, Home Premium Full, Home Premium Upgrade, etc). You install Vista WITHOUT entering a key and tell it it's the a full version (eg, a non-upgrade). Then you "upgrade" that version using your upgrade key to the one you actually purchased.

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase...rade_clean.asp
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Do I need to do anything to my drive order or whatnot to get Vista's bootup menu instead of XP's (as I think I've read that Vista is much more polite about letting you boot to other OS's than XP)? IE, I want to boot to XP or Vista based on a user-entered choice (and preferably, boot automatically in 10 seconds if I don't pick one, to Vista).

Comment

It should automagically create a bootloader with a 5second or so timeout, defaulting to Vista. This can all be customized after you install it.

How to tweak the bootloader once it's installed: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...al-boot-setup/
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Ahh, thanks. I'll put this into effect sometime this weekend... hopefully with no trouble

Comment

It worked for me.

I've got a triple boot of Windows XP Pro, Windows Vista Ultimate 32-bit, and Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit.

Comment

I'm fairly sure I'm getting the 32 bit version (hopefully). Don't actually have it myself, GF is getting it (cheaply via college). 64 bits scares me in terms of compatibility (given Vista has enough compatibility issues, throwing in 64 bit to the mix seems like a dangerous idea.)

Comment

I'm always in 64-bit nowadays. No problems whatsoever.

It's nice to have true 4GB of RAM also.

Comment

Working...
                X