Buying a Flash Drive.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying a Flash Drive.

I'm in the market for a flash drive. I can spend up to a hundred dollars on this item, although it doesn't have to be that pricey.

I would carry the drive with me everywhere and on it would be stored all of my writing, pdfs and books I own, and a good deal of media.

What do you all recommend as far as brand and such?
    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Be wary of the ones that have pre-installed gunk on them, like SanDisk with it's U3 and whatnot.

I have a PNY flash drive i've had no problems with. $40-$50 should be enough to get you several GB, which seems plenty, but YMMV.

Also, it's not a bad idea to sync it to your HDD on your desktop/laptop periodically, since the flash drive can fail...
    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

I bought a U3 drive and it nearly drove me to suicide. Since you have that psychotic disorder I think it is best to stay away from those, anything else is fine.

Comment

Although you can disable U3 if you want to or uninstall it from the menu.

As for advice, the two main things to look at when buying one are:
        (1) Capacity: 2GB and 4GB are mainstream, but 8GB and even 16GB are also available if you intend to carry that much data around
        (2) Performance: cheap USB flash drives have a transfer rate between 4MB/s and 8MB/s (for read and write). High-end USB flash drives have a transfer rate between 15MB/s and 25MB/s (for read and write).

If you transfer a lot of data from and to the drive, it's obviously better to choose a high end UFD.

Other than that, pick one you really like (in terms of design or size for example) or one you find practical (like having no cap for example).

Comment

I think I'm going to get the Corsair Survivor. Electronics never seem to last long in my possession.
          "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

I've never had any issue with Kingston drives, but with any big name you should be safe.

If you carry around that amount of data I'd recommend you encrypt the drive using Truecrypt (www.truecrypt.org). You can run it in portable mode and it works great in conjunction with Portableapps (http://portableapps.com/). Read the install guide for Truecrypt first but it's easily the best encryption tool out there at the moment and completely free too.
            "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
            "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael
              I think I'm going to get the Corsair Survivor. Electronics never seem to last long in my possession.
              I have one of those, 4 GB. Best thing I bought

There was a test in a Dutch magazine where they dropped a Corsair Survivor from 60 mtrs high, threw it in boiling water and drove a SUV over it Though slightly scratched it still worked

These things are meant to survive an all out thermo-nuclear war. Although there won't be any computers left to stick them in
              Within weeks they'll be re-opening the shipyards
              And notifying the next of kin
              Once again...

Comment

I just picked up a 2 GB Toshiba as I was wandering through a store. 20 dollars or so. Good enough for me.
                Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Mine arrived in the mail day. It's bigger than I thought it would be, but still fits nicely on my keychain in my pocket. So far, so good.

Comment

i intend to buy a 16gb sandisk cruzer contour soon.

from what i read it is really reliable and has great speed.

also from what i read about U3 it is quite very useful and i expect to use it alot.

Comment

You read wrong. U3 is the devil, and its users are followers of Satan. Sorry

(On a serious note, U3 theoretically is useful, but it is probably not useful in practice, and particularly not the way it is implemented now.)
                      <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                      I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Originally posted by Sirotnikov
                        i intend to buy a 16gb sandisk cruzer contour soon.

from what i read it is really reliable and has great speed.

also from what i read about U3 it is quite very useful and i expect to use it alot.
                        Use U3 to your best judgment. I like it (I have an 8GB Cruzer Contour).

Best drive to use U3 on because of the 25 MB/s read speed.

Comment

Working...
                        X