X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sed and grep FTW
    "

Comment

Siro, no, we developed algorithms for semantic data mining, constructed a dictionary and so forth. A system that summarizes notes, and all kinds of texts, and based on those summaries it would also suggest different options to proceed as well as gather statistics to show trends and all kinds of things. So no, there was nothing ready for that, ti was the actual product.

It's ironic that I haven't used any of these tools for qualitative research, yet that's what I do. And I've used tools for quantitative research, like SPSS and so forth, yet that's not what I do . I'd still suggest nvivo, give it a go if you can. Check it out at least. I think if that's not it, then you have to do lots of manual work first and just organize things, build your own database and do some programming. Or find an alternative way to do the same thing, organizing all the data you have.

EDIT: I just read your OP again. Wow, you don't need nvivo for that That's an overkill definitely. But as to your original problem, nothing comes to my mind right now.
      Last edited by Pekka; October 5, 2008, 20:19.
      In da butt.
      "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
      THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
      "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Jesus, you want to plan a trip with a data-mining bot?
        In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Siro is a serious dude Oncle. How can you not do that? It's half the fun!
          In da butt.
          "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
          THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
          "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

buy a guide book and put post-its in the pages you want to look at again
            Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
            Douglas Adams (Influential author)

Comment

post its

How can you not do that? It's half the fun!
              QFT

also i have had a second goal:

suppose I want to follow the presidential campaign.

I could save all different speeches, and tag excerpts with the speaker's name, and some tags according to an ontology of topics.
              Then if I want to retrieve all of McCain's quotes about the war in Iraq, I could.

Comment

Originally posted by EPW
                sed and grep FTW
                QFT
                12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                Killing it is the new killing it
                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

KH yay
                  "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                  Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Actually, I'd love to have such a program to quickly find the quotes I need when I write an essay.
                    In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Originally posted by EPW
                      sed and grep FTW
                      Alternatively, http://perldoc.perl.org/perlre.html
                      Play hangman.

Comment

Working...
                      X