Weird screen tearing -FF related??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weird screen tearing -FF related??

Lately (last three to five days) I've had periodically weird behavior by Windows (XP). I'll be running along fine, gtalking or posting in Poly on FF3, and all of a sudden, my screen goes mostly white. Bits of program windows can still be seen, and clicking where programs were still activates them and does whatever clicking normally would do... but the screen still is mostly white. My taskbar suddenly is on the top of my screen. When I hold down alt+tab, the box with the currently running program icons shows up... in the top left corner (but works).

The oddest thing is that if I close ANY currently open window - a folder, a running program, etc. - it suddenly is fine, except gtalk crashes (non responding, white window), and Firefox loses the text on its tabs and buttons (but not necessarily the actual text and pics on the screen). The screen stays 'white', except for whatever program I got switched to when I closed the window; but if I move that window around my screen, it clears it up, like an eraser.

I don't know if this is firefox or gtalk related, or not. I am fairly sure it happened last night when I had not run either program (after an earlier white screen weirdness), but I could be mistaken. Either way it's a pain in the ****, and I can't figure out what to call it, to search the net for a fix...

I originally assumed it was an overheating problem, and while my system is not exactly running cold, the CPU is around 48C and the GPU around 54C, and I ran a stress test that move the GPU temp up ten degrees with no problem. This was just AFTER the problem occurred a few minutes ago. So, I don't think that is the problem.

I also assumed maybe I just hadn't restarted recently enough. I did so yesterday, but that didn't do a thing...

Any thoughts??
    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Get Vista?
    You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Most hardware failures would be... more "random" and not so easily undone (even temporarily) I think. I do have a laptop where the GPU is going out, and moving windows over the corruptions does sometimes fix them... but once it starts happening it continues happening until the system crashes... and it's a lot more interesting than just white (as all GPU corruptions I've seen are).

I'd guess it's a software problem, most likely with GTalk or XP itself due to a virus or otherwise corrupted file(s).

Unless you're sure it happens without either of those two programs running... I'd start by uninstalling then re-installing GTalk since it's the one that goes non-responsive, then the same for Firefox if that doesn't help. Virus check if you haven't already. Then check your HD file system.

Next in line would be a clean reinstall of XP. If you have a spare HD, you can swap it for your current HD and install on it, just to see if that solves the issue before going to all the trouble of wiping your current install.

Comment

Hmm, i'll give it a shot tonight... it's a very odd problem to be caused by either program, I think, but who knows. It's not a FF addon, definitely, as I disabled those at one point and still got it.

Comment

Actually, reinstalling your video drivers probably should fit in before a reinstall of XP.

Comment

Oh, yes. I had intended to reinstall my nVidia drivers anyhow, since I haven't installed the Physx stuff yet. (Actually, now that I think about it, I think the tearing might have started when I installed Bionic Commando, which does include a set of Ageia Physx drivers... hmmmmm ...)

Comment

Working...
            X