• IS this laptop good for the money

Its a Fugiistu Seimens

Turion 64 x2 TL60
    3 GB ram
    320 GB HD
    Nvidia 8400 M

Its on at 479.00

That is at the top of my budget.

For th money I would get a much better desktop, but I haven't really got the room at the moment.

As a guide to its performanve would it be able to play RTW on it's highest settings well.
    Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
    Douglas Adams (Influential author)

What screen size and resolution is it?

Typically FSC have crappy built quality so beware. You might be able to find a decent Acer for that price.
    "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
    "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

15.4" size

resolution 1280x800

I'mnot even sure how important the resolution is!
      Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.

Comment

It depends, for that price point it's about right. If you had more money to spend you can get a higher res on a smaller screen (take the Sony Vaio Z-series which I'm hopelessly in love with).

For gaming that resolution should be fine with the graphics card for pretty much any pre-2007 game.

Like I said spec wise the laptop looks good but if you can get a chance to check the build quality before you buy that'd be ideal.
        "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
        "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

1280x800 is sort of low resolution for a 15.4" ... the other specs are reasonable, though I don't know anything about Fujitsu.
          <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
          I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

cheers guys,

I'll try and do some digging on build quality

Comment

http://www.cclonline.com/product-inf...ufacturer_id=0

Acer Aspire 5920G, 450
              T7300,
              2GB RAM,
              250GB HDD
              8600M GS

Better graphics, better processor, less ram and storage, but you can pick up an external 2.5' HD quite cheaply nowadays (which I'd suggest anyway TBH).
              You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Also, same size and resolution.
                You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

If i strectch the budget I can get

Acer Gemstone 5520G

Turion TL60
                  4 Gb Ram
                  250 HD
                  Ge Force 9300 M Graphics

Seems to be better graphics and memory than my choice

Comment

Yeah, probably a better choice.

Comment

That graphics cheap is awful though, worse than the 8400GS IIRC.

Comment

Hmm, you're right. I was thinking about the 9500. 9300 is right around the 8400 GS from what I've seen, it's better than the 8400M you have above I think but not by a whole lot. It might be more DX10 compliant, is the only thing I would guess.

Comment

For modern games a 9300M is much more card than the 8400M GS (~40% in 3dmark 06). The 8600M GS that Krill posted is much more card than the 9300M (~30% in 3dmark 06).

For most games I'd go with the 8600M GS (or better) before I'd worry about going from 2GB to 4GB.

Comment

Looking at the specs though, the 9300M and 8400M GS are practically the same card. Main difference is 9300M is a 65nm part, while 8400M GS is 80nm. So less power consumption and less heat from the 9300M.

Comment

Working...
                            X