No announcement yet.

GeForce 8, 9, 200 GPUs get physics support for free on Aug 12th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wiglaf, plenty of gamers have two graphics cards. In addition, the big advantage here is you can have asymmetric GPUs, one doing GPU work the other doing Physx work; so you can upgrade your GPU and still make use of your old card (which will be the case for me, soon).

I think the big point here is that, up to now, most devs didn't give a piss about physx cards, so to speak, because not many people had them. Now, the install user base just went up 10000%...

I'm also curious what ATI will do in response. This is a huge reason to buy nVidia cards now ...
    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Unfortunately I don't have an 8 series nVidia card. Which sucks.
      You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Well then, go buy one

Comment

I'm a poor student with a desktop I'll use for maybe 3 months between now and next July. I'll wait for next year, maybe the year after if my laptop is OK for my needs.
          You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
            Wiglaf, plenty of gamers have two graphics cards. In addition, the big advantage here is you can have asymmetric GPUs, one doing GPU work the other doing Physx work; so you can upgrade your GPU and still make use of your old card (which will be the case for me, soon).

I think the big point here is that, up to now, most devs didn't give a piss about physx cards, so to speak, because not many people had them. Now, the install user base just went up 10000%...

I'm also curious what ATI will do in response. This is a huge reason to buy nVidia cards now ...
            About 1% of PC users have two GPUs. Most don't even have dedicated gpus in the first place. Significant esources will not be spent taking advantage of the physics abilities of these computers since they're so rare.

WIGLAF WIN

Comment

Source?

Also, I suggest you limit "PC Users" to "Frequent PC Gamers". That is the relevant populous, after all... and the point is that when they replace their GPU next year with a higher model, they can use their old model for the physx card. That is a significant factor ...

Comment

Just read the linked news and... I understood nothing.
                Please, what is "to run physics"? Is it a new graphic card to replace
                the older ones? Or to add to them? Or a new software?
                And what is the goal? Faster? Prettier? Or?
                My thanks in advance.
                Best regards,

Comment

Was that an attempt at a haiku?

Comment

Source?
                    To put it in terms fed1943 can understand,

graphics cards are rare
                    PC sales are so crappy
                    two plus two is one

Comment

Originally posted by fed1943
                      Just read the linked news and... I understood nothing.
                      Please, what is "to run physics"? Is it a new graphic card to replace
                      the older ones? Or to add to them? Or a new software?
                      And what is the goal? Faster? Prettier? Or?
                      My thanks in advance.
                      Best regards,
                      Basically, the idea is to further separate various elements of the game onto different processors, to speed up the game.

First, they separated out math operations into the FPU (this was not just for games, of course). Then, video processing, to deal with the ever more complex graphics, onto the GPU (graphics card).

Now, they are making it so that a separate card deals with the complex physics interactions in a 'real-physics' environment (ie, you can pick up the random crap on the tables and break the table, and it breaks in a realistic way, following physics laws and such).

This has existed for a few years, but few people bought such a card, because most games don't support it (chicken vs egg issue - no games support it until people buy it, but people don't buy it until it is used). Now, nVidia has made it so that a spare nVidia card can be used as a physx card ... so games will start to support it now, regardless of Wiggie's amusing sidebars.

Ultimately, if you have 2 slots for video cards, and have your main video card in one slot, and put a backup video card in another slot, and it's an nVidia 8000+, the second card will do the physics processing for games that use it, reducing the strain on your CPU and GPU.

Comment

Now, nVidia has made it so that a spare nVidia card can be used as a physx card ... so games will start to support it now, regardless of Wiggie's amusing sidebars.

You don't need to use it on a separate card. Both physics and graphics can and do run simultaneously on a single GeForce card. If you add more cards, it just makes it even faster.
                        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

My graphics card can already do physics. I'm sorry, but it is so true. I am about to load up some physics right now in fact, please do not try and stop me. And yes it will be more advanced stuff than Aegia has ever crapped out.

TAKE A NUMBER!

Comment

Unreal Tournament 3 *orgasm*
                            "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
                            "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

That reminds me...none of this applies to OS X. Apple still hasn't figured out how to use the video acceleration technology from 2003 graphics cards in OS X.
                              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                              Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Didn't Havoc already run on nVidia GPU's years ago, before Intel bought up Havoc?

Comment

Working...
                                X