X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GeForce 8, 9, 200 GPUs get physics support for free on Aug 12th

Neat!

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/...x_performance/

I love how it'll support asymmetric GPUs. In a year or so I'll upgrade my GeForce 8800 Ultra but keep it as a dedicated physics unit, using a new top-end GPU for graphics.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Wow... sounds very nifty!!
    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Sweet. It'd be interesting to see games make use of this by providing really destructible environment. CoD4 was severely lacking in the physics department, imagine the experience if it had full destruction physics
      Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
      I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Comment

I'm wondering, will this support Physx in older games with Physx support, the few that there are, or just those which have been specially made to work?
          I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

Any games that use the PhysX API will support it. So all old PhysX games will work as well.
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Why is this exciting? The "PhysX" card, in addition to sounding like it was made in a fifth grade classroom, has always been useless. Now you get it free. Nothing like jizzing in a cup and calling it holy water, people.

OMFG LOOK AT THE MASSIVE DIFFERENCE!11
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InTZ6MhgzeE

It looks like when he shoots the ground, chocolate puffs fly around.

Tech forum probably could not pay a hippopotamus to have sex with it.

Comment

Because when used properly, advanced physics will do wonders for both graphics and gameplay.

The PhysX card itself was too slow to be useful, these cards are faster and the next-gen cards will be even faster.

I can tell you live in Washington, DC because you have no foresight.

Comment

Everything gets faster numbnuts. They were doing that without AEGIA SUPAR AWESUM PHYSX XTREME ROCK UR SOCKS FO FREE card. It has been around for several years and cannot do anything.

Comment

As I said, the Aegia card was too slow to be useful. And at $300, it was far from "free".

Comment

This isn't free either, you need to blow $200 on a card and use it just for this physics crap with no proven success record. Since no one except hardcore nerds will do this, developers will use it about as much as they do the current physics card.

It is amazing you say PC gaming is dying because there's too many setups out there, and yet you think that developers, who have to shoot for the lowest common denominator, are suddenly going to start making games for people who shell out hundreds for a dedicated physics GPU.

Dream on. You're a nail, I'm the hammer, and the hammer is not my penis.

Comment

Originally posted by Wiglaf
                        This isn't free either
                        Yes it is -- by definition. You buy a graphics card, then find out over a year later it now does physics. For free. Free.

It is amazing you say PC gaming is dying because there's too many setups out there, and yet you think that developers, who have to shoot for the lowest common denominator, are suddenly going to start making games for people who shell out hundreds for a dedicated physics GPU.
                        Again, you don't get it. It's 1 API. If you have a CPU, it'll use that. If you have a GPU, it'll use that. If you have a dedicated physics card, it'll use that.

PC gaming is dying, but at least this will even the playing field. The consoles have much more vector processing power for physics than PCs, and now it's more of an even matchup.

Comment

Added benefit, developers suddenly have a huge number of potential customers with Physx-capable systems, instead of two guys in Montana. Makes more sense to utilize the possibilities, to program physics engine content, if someone allready has the hardware.
                          I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

Asher maybe you should get a grip here. No gamers will have two graphics cards, one dedicated to physics, like you are saying you will do. So you have nothing to look forward to since we've already seen developers could give a piss about dedicated physics GPUs. Of course I have no real idea what I am talking about, but you have to admit I am onto something here. Even a broken clock can be right three times a day.

Comment

What antipsycotics are you on Wiggy?
                              You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Working...
                              X