PowerPoint 2007 annoyances

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Asher
    If you're making business presentations, I'd sure as hell hope so.

Perhaps not for filosofical presentations, but in the business world those are pretty important.

It's called iWork, but none of the features are really geared towards real work. It's more of a toy, or a children's productivity suite until its featureset is better. Admittedly, Keynote is the most complete of the bunch, but it really doesn't have anything PowerPoint does not but the opposite is very true.

Methinks Aggie (and perhaps yourself) have no idea how powerpoint is used outside of academia. You both probably don't even consider sharepoint integration as a feature.
    Most people use powerpoint only for its most basic features, not just students/professors.

Comment

How's this for a basic feature: being able to present your applications on every PC or Mac you can find.

Isn't that the core basic feature?
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Can do that too. It is called File--Export to powerpoint.

(http://docs.info.apple.com/article.h.../en/key55.html)

Comment

Why bother using Keynote if you're just going to export to PowerPoint?

You're using a subset of the features on a quirky obscure program, then you export it to powerpoint anyway?
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

A) That is a last resort, only if you must run the presentation on a PC

B) Some think keynote is easier to use

C) cheaper

Comment

a) sounds like an extra complication

b) the reason most powerpoint presentations suck is because it's so easy to use -- they don't know basic presentation skills

c) arguable. If you're a student, PowerPoint is much cheaper than Keynote. If you work for a business that has Office (and which one doesn't?) then you can get PowerPoint installed on your home PC for free, as per MS' license.

Comment

Hmm, that reminds me. I now work for a business that has Office 2003. Which portions of Office do I have permission to install at home, and what do I need to do in order to do so (in order to get the installation files)? (Specifically i'm interested in Outlook at home...)
                <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

The entire office suite can be installed at home. As for getting the discs, you need to ask your IT department I guess.

The license permits you to install Office at a home location. The only condition is you can't be actively using both at the same time (which they can't, and don't check). Eg, according to the license terms your kid at home shouldn't be using it to do a book report while you're using it at work.

Comment

Stop bragging, post a PP presentation you made
                    Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                    I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Originally posted by Solver
                      Stop bragging, post a PP presentation you made
                      Yes, I'll get right on that. It's not like there's any confidential information in investment bank presentations at all.

Comment

A long time ago as an undergrad I made a powerpoint presentation on RAIDs, actually: http://pages.cpsc.ucalgary.ca/~milfordd/RAIDs.ppt

It's wordier than normal PPT I make, because I had to make them double as handouts.

Comment

Maybe it's because I studied Computers and had several classes on presentations, but that seems like what a basic good PPT should be.
                          Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

It is quite good and informative. Deffinitly a good style for several years ago.

But it might be a little weak for presenting in front of an audience because it contains lots of text that is written in read-out mode.

Also it contains too few emotional anchors (pictures / concepts), but mainly because it is a graded assignment (i imagine) and i doubt a professor will like multiple pictures.
                            The few pictures you have (Myth #1 for example) are great.

Also good for not being lazy and designing your own background

Comment

Originally posted by Sirotnikov
                              It is quite good and informative. Deffinitly a good style for several years ago.
                              This would be 2002.

But it might be a little weak for presenting in front of an audience because it contains lots of text that is written in read-out mode.
                              That's cause
                              It's wordier than normal PPT I make, because I had to make them double as handouts.

Comment

Ah, didn't notice that part.

I am truly surprised that PP doesn't include a more proper handout feature. As well as a screen prompter feature, for a second smaller screen.

Comment

Working...
                                X