No announcement yet.

Apolyton: help me build a computer.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E4300 is top of the line? I thought that was the E6320 and higher...
    You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

OC'd it will perform about on par with the top of the line. It won't have the 4MB cache, but can hit higher clock speeds than any stock C2D. $1k performance for $116... it's a no-brainer IMO.

You can overclock the other processors, but you aren't guaranteed to beat the E4300's clock speed. You're more likely to, but much past 3.2GHz is kinda a crapshoot. (And certain C2D's cost more to overclock given their lower multipliers.) Also, overclocking on a cheap processor is much lower risk than on an expensive one. If my E4300 gives out in a year for instance, I can then buy a E6600, and have spent the around the same amount of money that I would have if I just bought the E6600 in the first place. But if I buy an E6600 to overclock, and it goes out... I've just spent a lot more than I should have, for minimal (if any) gain.

Comment

doh... edit not quote...

Comment

OK, overclocking...that'd explain it...what are the options if you don't want to overclock though?
          You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

I'd still say the same for anyone cost conscious. The overclocking is just a bonus on top of an already very cheap, yet capable, CPU.

I have a x1950xt, and even at stock speeds my E4300 more than keeps up with the video card. So for gamers, take the cheap CPU, and take the extra money and put it into a video card, memory, maybe a higher end MB that will allow more upgrade possibilities later (SLI, quad core), spend it on something nice for the SO, or just save it up for the next upgrade when there might not be such a good low-end option to go with.

Comment

There's really no reason not to overclock.
              THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
              AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
              AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
              DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Originally posted by LordShiva
                There's really no reason not to overclock.

<Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Oh, and by the way, just for laughs, while looking for a pic (Above) I found this hilarious site

http://www.shelleytherepublican.com/...chnical/linux/

Just imagine Asher crossed with Ben Kenobi. Try, anyway, if you can do so without self destructing...

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
                    Oh, and by the way, just for laughs, while looking for a pic (Above) I found this hilarious site

http://www.shelleytherepublican.com/...chnical/linux/

Just imagine Asher crossed with Ben Kenobi. Try, anyway, if you can do so without self destructing...
                    get out of my thread. now.
                    I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
                    [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Comment

See, it was funny

Seriously, listen to them above and wait three months before making any decisions. I suggest a Core2 midrange chip if you were guessing today based on the likelihood of prices later.

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
                        See, it was funny

Seriously, listen to them above and wait three months before making any decisions. I suggest a Core2 midrange chip if you were guessing today based on the likelihood of prices later.
                        that's exactly what i was looking for, snoop.
                        I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
                        [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Comment

still using this machine?
                          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Working...
                          X